Do Not Sell My Personal Information

French Engine Into Japan Built Yaris Fixed

marlster

Hi everyone.

I have browsed this forum a few times to see if anyone has got a french built engine to work in a japan built Yaris 1.0 VVTi. I couldnt find the answer anywhere so decided to sort it myself.

I have as of this morning now got the engine running.

Ok..the info you will need...

The differences (external) are french built 3 wire cam sensor as apposed to a 2 wire on the japaneese engine and knock sensor.

You need to change the knock sensor which is basically an easy swap after having removed the studd from the engine block on the french engine. The Cam sensor is a bit more tricky. Remove the engine cam cover and you'll find 3 pins in the back of the inlet camshaft. Measure the air gap in between the original cam sensor and the pins. Swap the sensor and tap gently the pins through until the air gap is the same. I think mine was around 1.0mm. This is due to the the two sensors being different lengths.

Now for the more difficult bit. You need to remove the sump and the timing chain cover. Once removed you need to swap the cam sensor pick up rotor which is keyed onto the crank behind the timing cover. These are totally different! Swap them over and refit the sump and timing cover and you're away!

Any other info please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi mark just read your post very interested in the change of pick up rota you mention .

i have the same problem with the fench to jap engine . have taken of front cover is the pickup rota the cog on the crank just behind the cover.if it is could you just confirm that you dont need to disturb the chain and set up many thanks tony

no you dont desturb the chain mate you just slide off the pick up rota

THANKS FOR THE INFO ILL TACKLE THAT TOMOROW AND LET YOUI KNOW HOW IT GOES

• 2 years later...

Hi done all of above to my car but ideling high only thing i didnt swop on engines was the throttle body would this make a difference

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have just started an engine change over and see I am going to come up with the same problems as mine is French to jap, you say tap the pins through? Is this a tricky job as I'm doing the change in my front garden with no workshop. Also I noticed my crank/water pump/alternator were a 6 rib belt and my new (jap) engine is 4 rib. Is this common?

• 1 year later...

Morning all

I understand this is an old post

just wondered if anyone else has done this and have pictures to show more indepth ect

Also is it true that the french head has larger valves then the jap head?

Thanks Paul

• 1 year later...

Im just in the middle of fitting a jap engine into a french car.

Ive done all you mentioned in the above post by swapping the pick up rota but was a little confused as if i swap it would the engines ignition timing be effected as the two rotas are different but the cam sensor is the same???