Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise

Weta

O3 rav4 d4d every time i go over small bumps on the road i hear knocking noises what is this ,and what do i need to look for.

It could be a CV joint, wheel bearing (normally more or a whirring noise), ball joint, strut or even brake disc. If i would you i would jack it up and see if there is any play (if yes, that would indicate bearing). Then rotate it (any noise may be cv or brake disc related) then try moving it up and down (that would indicate a suspension problem)

Where do you suppose these noises come from?

Its Coming from the front wheels clunking noises when on rough tarmac small humps ect.

Where do you suppose these noises come from?

Its Coming from the front wheels clunking noises when on rough tarmac small humps ect.

I think what the Guys are saying is that it could be absolutely anything in the area that the wheel is in.. The wheel being Your contact with the road will trigger the noise but it could be many things...

To be honest its extremely difficult to diagnose problems over the Net !! All We can do is relate to what You are telling Us which at the moment is not very much....

Wee Charlie.

From what you've said, I would check the front wheel bearings for any slight knock/looseness first. jack up each wheel and see if you can get any play at the hub bearing. You can try shaking the wheel vertically and horizontally but see me next bit below. It won't be much but anything at all will indicate a hub bearing... usually the nearside one.

When you have the wheel up, check for a possible steering knuckle being worn which would be a slight knock on shaking the wheel horizontally.

Check the front roll bar bushes as they might be worn.

At this time of year I'm often in Fife and would come along to help - however number 1 RAV that races at Crail is away getting some major work done. Are you ever over near Glasgow ?

jack it up and lever the wheel up and down and in and out. You might be able to feel play. You also need to check the springs and shockers in addition to what mystic has proffered

From what you've said, I would check the front wheel bearings for any slight knock/looseness first. Jack up each wheel and see if you can get any play at the hub bearing. You can try shaking the wheel vertically and horizontally but see me next bit below. It won't be much but anything at all will indicate a hub bearing... usually the nearside one.

When you have the wheel up, check for a possible steering knuckle being worn which would be a slight knock on shaking the wheel horizontally.

Check the front roll bar bushes as they might be worn.

At this time of year I'm often in Fife and would come along to help - however number 1 RAV that races at Crail is away getting some major work done. Are you ever over near Glasgow ?

Thanks will get on the case the mora,, never in glasgow much noo, thanks

Try the droplinks.

Mines were knocking few months back at low speeds over small bumps and bumpy roads.

Cheers

yup - an almost yearly job on my 4.2 D4D but I do live up a foul track :D.

Mr T wants £100 odd EACH SIDE? :blink: aftermarket (Delphi) about £35 A PAIR posted (ebay)

Cheers

tash

O3 rav4 d4d every time i go over small bumps on the road i hear knocking noises what is this ,and what do i need to look for.

hi mate

i am not sure but check with caliper bolts -- it is an easy.

Agree with others that we can only surround the problem spot and giving you a source of thinking.

Cheers/Igor

• 4 weeks later...

The link is not working at the moment because the rav4world forum is down for maintenance. But have a look in the near future. I got some trouble with lose ball joint - knuckle connection. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-4-2-faults-fixes/86733-ball-joint-replacement.html#post885465

Regards

Apologies for sounding stupid but Check that the wheels are tight.

Apologies for sounding stupid but Check that the wheels are tight.

Aye you were right there cheers lol

• 12 years later...

My daughter has a 2006 RAV4 (AWD) that all of the sudden started making a thumping noise. She was at a stop light when the thumping noise started. She got on the freeway but the car would only go about 45mph she said. Oil change and tires rotated within the last 3000 miles. No problems up to now.

Any ideas? My daughter who is going to school in another state, took it to the local Toyota dealership who informed her it might be spark plugs and a coil pak and a $1000 repair bill but no guaranteed that those parts will fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links