Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pollen Filter

james-rav4

Just thought i would check the pollen filter in our Rav4.2 as the blower was not very good tbh.

Glad I did , couldn't see the filter for dirt and debris :wacko:

took it out , got the cleaner on it , gave it a good tap, then washed in bio washing up liquid.

my god it was stinking dirty, water was black :yes:

used paper towels to dry first then some gentle heat with the hair dryer and hey presto , near enough as good as new.

Lot more air coming through now. :D

Ar'nt these impregnated with something like carbon to absorb smells?

I thought these filters are better changed as they are not washable as it destroys the filtration capabilities to operate as it should,especially the small particles of things like pollen.

Del

I thought these filters are better changed as they are not washable as it destroys the filtration capabilities to operate as it should,especially the small particles of things like pollen.

Del

Spot on Del...bin the thing and get a new one, Jamesy, not necessarily in that order.....

It's bell wuggered when it gets to the stage you have witnessed

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Washing it worked well for mine. I did it twice with no problems. saves dosh too.

Run some cleaner through the air con system afterwards I used a can from Aldi again it worked a treat for just a couple of quid.

Saves dosh is a good resaon, and can't be argued with, but once it's been washed, dried (and even worse, done twice times) the fibres are all much more "open weave" than they were when new, and filtration totally different.....HONEST.

Big Kev :thumbsup: a previous chronic hay fever suffrajet.

We used to be able to wash and clean? oil filters once, but filters are so much better,and finer filtering,now that it seems false economy to risk passing fluid through them when they are not designed for fluids.

Each to his own I suppose.

Del

I'll see how it goes but its got to be better than what was in there!

good as a stop gap for now.

will keep an eye out for one and will prob then replace.

Some are, some aren't. My garage guy offered me the choice last time, I opted for the anti-smell one but it was out of stock so got the normal instead - not much choice really!

Some are, some aren't. My garage guy offered me the choice last time, I opted for the anti-smell one but it was out of stock so got the normal instead - not much choice really!

Have used both...absolutely no difference detected, so concluded the carbonicated ones were a wee gimmick to put the price up a bit...?

Big Kev :unsure:

I thought they where electro statically charged so the dust 'sticks' to it, surely washing it would mess it all up? They are really cheap to buy anyways

I thought they where electro statically charged so the dust 'sticks' to it, surely washing it would mess it all up? They are really cheap to buy anyways

Aye, Luke.....24p a week if ye can get a 12 month payment plan....

Big Kev :lol:

The activated carbon type filters can exclude chemicals and gases which a human can't even smell so how would you know if they were better or worse than the standard filter.

The activated carbon type filters can exclude chemicals and gases which a human can't even smell so how would you know if they were better or worse than the standard filter.

Possibly by doing the same route with each type of filter and seeing if there's any noticeable difference. :unsure: I'd be looking for it too exclude unpleasant smells such as manure, sulphur and chlorine - if it doesn't do that what's the point?

Possibly by doing the same route with each type of filter and seeing if there's any noticeable difference. :unsure: I'd be looking for it too exclude unpleasant smells such as manure, sulphur and chlorine - if it doesn't do that what's the point?

It's all down to the size of particle and the amount thereof that activated carbon can remove - way smaller than a basic filter. The carbon has a massive surface area and can absorb a high level of this minute particulate matter that would get through a 'normal' filter.

Saves dosh is a good resaon, and can't be argued with, but once it's been washed, dried (and even worse, done twice times) the fibres are all much more "open weave" than they were when new, and filtration totally different.....HONEST.

Big Kev Tels the truth + my 31 years in the motor trade tends to agree,use once & throw it away,is your health worth it??? dont think so for £12 ish,maybee shake it out once in a while. B)

Big Kev Tels the truth + my 31 years in the motor trade tends to agree,use once & throw it away,is your health worth it??? dont think so for £12 ish,maybee shake it out once in a while. B)

As an alternative you could always stuff your SHREDDIES in the glovebox :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links