Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.2 Securing The Spare Wheel Cover.

Joylove

I've got a little padlock at the moment. It doesn't look particularly strong (I doubt it would withstand 30s against a screwdriver) and it swings about and rattles. It's about the biggest that will fit through the hole.

Anyone got any bright ideas on an alternative? I thought nuts and bolts? Lots of castle nuts and threadlocker with a security allen bolt?

I've been unable to find a weatherproof lock so I end up buying a normal brass one and covering the keyhole with gaffer tape to keep the crud out. It has to be changed every year but at £2 a go , its not a worry. If someone does pinch it, the spare is secutred with a locking wheel nut. Even if you take the lock off, it can be tricky to remove and it really is only of use ot other RAV4 owners with the same colour car.

I've got a little padlock at the moment. It doesn't look particularly strong (I doubt it would withstand 30s against a screwdriver) and it swings about and rattles. It's about the biggest that will fit through the hole.

Anyone got any bright ideas on an alternative? I thought nuts and bolts? Lots of castle nuts and threadlocker with a security allen bolt?

That is exactly the setup I have had on mine for a while now,except I have a nyloc nut and a torx security setscrew fitted.

The screw is cut off flush with the nut to stop rusting of the threads.

Just a reminder,don't forget to put the tools needed to remove it in with wheel brace and jack handle!! :thumbsup:

Del

No padlock at all on mine, the latch has snapped off. I do sometimes worry that the entire cover will fall off as it never sits perfectly, but it seems OK. Hadn't considered it might get nicked. :unsure:

It would cause some bother for you if it did fly off,and say hit a motorcyclist,but as you say it seems OK,so maybe no cause for concern.

Del

It would cause some bother for you if it did fly off,and say hit a motorcyclist,but as you say it seems OK,so maybe no cause for concern.

Del

A scary thought indeed. Though I hope they'd have tested possibilities such as that and designed them out even with certain parts broken or missing - never heard of it happening at any rate.

Immaterial at the moment anyway as I have to put the wheel in the boot in order to fit a bike rack to the towbar... :rolleyes: