Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just A Quick Question

louiseandi

I've been offered a Rav 4 that's being scrapped. It still run's and is the same year, model etc as my one except it's a 2 door one, I just want to know before I buy it, if I can break it for spares for my one and the parts will fit on mine. I've just spent a fortune having repairs done (front diff seals, rear shocks, front coil) and there is more that needs doing (front shocks, new tyres etc) so to be able to buy this for spares seems to make sense :thumbsup:

OMG !!!

RAVs are for life.

I can offer this 3 door RAV a very satisfying, fulfilling fun life without being broken for bits.....

how could you ??? :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Hey guys, I'm louiseandi's husband. I just wondered if the,(1 & only), reply we've had to the question is serious or not? if it is then I can only presume that bothwell buyer only purchases new parts for his/her Rav4, which is great if you can afford it but I'm sure the majority of vehicle owners rely on 2nd hand parts that come off vehicles that have been broken, the used parts market is what keeps 1000's of cars on the road. The vehicle we have been offered is the same model/year & colour as Andrea's,(well a 2 door instead of 4), & the only thing wrong with it as far as we know is a small ding in the front so at £100 it's an offer we can't refuse & will save us a fortune in parts,(just wish we had the chance to get it 2 weeks ago when we had to pay over £400 for,(new), parts & labour). If the comment was in jest then please forgive me. I also have to say that we expected more than 1 answer in the 4 days or so the questions been up, we are both members of the Hilux Pickup Owners Club that is the friendliest site of any kind I've ever been on, if you don't get an answer to a query within 5 minutes on there then something is wrong & while I don't expect this or any other forum to match up to the HPOC I would have thought that we'd have had a bit more help. Again apologies if there's a logical explanation for this.

Lee

Lee I think perhaps the question was a little bit general ? IE Mate I haven't much of an idea about Ravs of this year But if the engine is the same type as Your car and the running gear is the same Plus You have somewhere to store the car then buy it !! I would imagine the axels box ect are the same Perhaps with it being a 3 door the prop-shafts might be different ?

Dont take any notice of Bothy its just His humour He is a good bloke and His comments mean that He would prefer to save the car as a whole rather than break it..

When I say general what I mean is that if You were to ask if a specific part say the gearbox from one car will fit another I think You would get a definitive answer..... HTH.

Wee Charlie.

PS Mate You will not find a more friendly helpful bunch than here !! But the site sort of goes quiet sometimes as a few of the Members are getting on a bit and I think They are having a nap .............

Wee.........Young Charlie.

Hey guys, I'm louiseandi's husband. I just wondered if the,(1 & only), reply we've had to the question is serious or not? if it is then I can only presume that bothwell buyer only purchases new parts for his/her Rav4, which is great if you can afford it but I'm sure the majority of vehicle owners rely on 2nd hand parts that come off vehicles that have been broken, the used parts market is what keeps 1000's of cars on the road. The vehicle we have been offered is the same model/year & colour as Andrea's,(well a 2 door instead of 4), & the only thing wrong with it as far as we know is a small ding in the front so at £100 it's an offer we can't refuse & will save us a fortune in parts,(just wish we had the chance to get it 2 weeks ago when we had to pay over £400 for,(new), parts & labour). If the comment was in jest then please forgive me. I also have to say that we expected more than 1 answer in the 4 days or so the questions been up, we are both members of the Hilux Pickup Owners Club that is the friendliest site of any kind I've ever been on, if you don't get an answer to a query within 5 minutes on there then something is wrong & while I don't expect this or any other forum to match up to the HPOC I would have thought that we'd have had a bit more help. Again apologies if there's a logical explanation for this.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I second what Charlie posted - there's a lot of oldtimers on here who can't even remember what they had for breakfast [or where they put their nuts........Kev] let alone similarities between two 14 year old cars :lol:

Presumably the car you have been offered is also a STAX? If so, as Charlie has said, apart from being short of two doors, I would imagine the only other mechanical difference would be the length of prop shaft.

I assume both have same transmission? I believe it was only the 5 door that had an auto option.

There were only about 600 made in total and they were based on the GX but with more kit.

Hope that helps..........a bit :unsure:

YAAWWNN, :huh::huh: just woke up from my little nap and for some reason my ears are burning!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would think you could buy that motor and sell it on for more than you pay for it, as winter is approaching and there has been talk of people looking to buy four wheel drive machines as they got stuck after the last snow fall.(Serves them right,should have bought a RAV in the first place) :yahoo::yahoo:

With a twelve month ticket on it I reckon you would be on a winner.

:yawn: Del

Well you've certainly provoked some responces now even if it is by ranking us second in a two horse race.

I think there isn't much to say. I certainly could not find a home for a second vehicle just for spares - it could take you years to find much use from it and so you will end up with an undriveable motor on your property that will soon become unpleasant to look at (sorry bothy). I personally would rather hunt for parts as and when needed, you never know you might not need anything significant now.

If you have tons of space, fill your boots. I guess a good proportion of parts will be interchangeable.

All else apart, Lee, some people on here actually think that Bothy is a nice guy,(MISGUIDED SOULS) so we think you should forward him the address of said Rav for said sum....be prepared to be gazumped by £1.00 and see this car running around Scotlandshire in perfect nick within the week..... :lol:

Totally concur with Anchorman....if you live opposite me, and you would like to have another Rav rusting away in your drive, believe me....we WILL fall out :thumbsup:

big Kev :eek:

is this stax and purple or light blue version. i know its a r reg vehicle but whats the mileage. you could offer parts for sale here esp if its purple. from what i know all parts except obvious bits like doors exhaust prop would be different. suspension parts vary buy wheel size. 215/70 r16 vs 235/65r16. let me know if you have any more questions or how about making 100 per cent profit and leting me buy it for 200.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies & sorry about the abruptness of my 1st post but it had the effect I was looking for,(I'll give myself a slap on your behalf lol). In answer to a couple of your questions the Stax is purple & I believe it has a replacement,(& supposedly more powerful), engine in it that has only done 80 miles!!!, of course I need to check this info out as I'm sure you all agree £100 seems a little cheap to say the least. As far as storing it goes we live on a farm & have plenty of space to keep it undercover so I will ensure it stays in good condition. To be honest I'm starting to think about putting it back on the road, Andrea wants the alloys for her car but I have to agree that breaking it would be a shame, don't get me wrong I rely on 2nd hand parts for my 1982 Mk1 & 1989 Mk3 Hilux Pickups as parts for these are getting increasingly rare, especially for the Mk1 for which there are extremely few parts you can buy new that will fit,(rear lights spring to mind but not much else),and I know from experience that even 2nd hand parts for it are like hen's teeth,(unless you live in Canada). Even parts for Mk2 & Mk3's are getting harder to find as a lot of trucks are being exported to Africa & the middle east for use by the rebels, luckily I have a friend down here who buys old Hilux Pickups & he keeps me supplied for the Mk3.

If we do buy it & decide to break it then you lot will have 1st choice of any parts at a nominal fee, ie very very cheap.

I'll keep you informed of developments.

Cheers

Lee :thumbsup: