Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing The Gear Linkage Bracket ? Pic

CharlieFarlie

This topic May be of interest to those Who think the Gear-change on the Rav is a bit notchy

Anchorman kindly described how to work out if My car has the improved bracket that holds the gear cables .. It would seem that I don't have this better or should I say improved / modified part...

Don is this the bracket We discussed ?? I couldnt really see it with the airbox in place so I removed it and put a drop of red paint on it. It is bolted directly to the gearbox with no rubber inserts. Bolt was 14mill by around 30 mill long... There is no signs of any rubber inserts and the bracket does not move when someone is sat in the car changing gear....

003-1.jpg

Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

Having looked again at Dons picture on the other thread I'm now thinking its the bracket further back ?? Looks harder to get at !! How are the cables secured to it ?

008.jpg

Wee Charlie.

Thats it Charlie (just home from downloading train black boxes!).

Its the second one. That steel clip (green) on this side of the bracket just pulls up if you grip the folded bit with pliers. Remove the "R" clip (red) from the cables ends and then just slide the cables back through the bracket;

cablefixings.jpg

The cables in the picture are off a 4.2 but are very similar. Once they are disconnected, the bracket is fixed with 3 bolts and if you have the early one you will really appreciate the new one - it feels different again.

The change took place in May 2007 so I think you have the early one. The bracket part no is 335A0-42010 and there are 3 slightly longer bolts - 90119-08C60. Kingo will post them to you and if you put your tongue in his ear he will wangle a bit of discount.

Thats it Charlie (just home from downloading train black boxes!).

Its the second one. That steel clip (green) on this side of the bracket just pulls up if you grip the folded bit with pliers. Remove the "R" clip (red) from the cables ends and then just slide the cables back through the bracket;

cablefixings.jpg

The cables in the picture are off a 4.2 but are very similar. Once they are disconnected, the bracket is fixed with 3 bolts and if you have the early one you will really appreciate the new one - it feels different again.

The change took place in May 2007 so I think you have the early one. The bracket part no is 335A0-42010 and there are 3 slightly longer bolts - 90119-08C60. Kingo will post them to you and if you put your tongue in his ear he will wangle a bit of discount.

Nah, Charlie....INSIST ON PAYING FULL PRICE.....

Thats ma boy Kevalino, you're getting the hang of this lark now, my balls are on their way to you, :naughty: errrrr golf balls

Wee Charlie, that little bracket set is gonna set you back £75 knickers!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thats ma boy Kevalino, you're getting the hang of this lark now, my balls are on their way to you, :naughty: errrrr golf balls

Wee Charlie, that little bracket set is gonna set you back £75 knickers!

!Removed! nora that's 37.5 pairs !!!!! Is this part really gonna make that much difference ?? My gear change is pretty damn good anyway.... Of course an improvement is always worthwhile though !!

Wee Charlie.

Whether it is worth £75 CF is debatable. Did you notice BKs gearchange?

Errr Well I cant say whether it was any better than My one ...

Don I don't know whether You have noticed but the Fine Gentlemen of Scottielandshire tend to gas a lot ! Or Blether as I believe its called... This of course offers up a distraction so You tend to take Your eyes off the ball..... Out of a sense of loyalty I have now developed this bletherring style. So that's two distractions.......

So no Mate sorry havent a scooby ..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Wee Charlie.

Don I don't know whether You have noticed but the Fine Gentlemen of Scottielandshire tend to gas a lot ! Or Blether as I believe its called... This of course offers up a distraction so You tend to take Your eyes off the ball..... Out of a sense of loyalty I have now developed this bletherring style. So that's two distractions.......

Wee Charlie.

Charlie....regardless of that totally uncalled for blethering jibe, I am more than willing to let you try my gearchange again, promising of course to remain utterly silent during said trial.... :lol:

Funnily enough, I have either gotten totally used to it, or the first to second gearchange has actually improved with age...? Mind you, the really annoying low clutch biting point has also done one or the other....improved or I've just got used to....musn't go on too much....Charlie might get distracted. He probably doesn't realise there's now a TSB for people who are too tall for their Rav......it's called a chainsaw.

Big Kev :yahoo:

Wee Charlie.

Charlie....regardless of that totally uncalled for blethering jibe, I am more than willing to let you try my gearchange again, promising of course to remain utterly silent during said trial.... :lol:

Funnily enough, I have either gotten totally used to it, or the first to second gearchange has actually improved with age...? Mind you, the really annoying low clutch biting point has also done one or the other....improved or I've just got used to....musn't go on too much....Charlie might get distracted. He probably doesn't realise there's now a TSB for people who are too tall for their Rav......it's called a chainsaw.

Big Kev :yahoo:

Kev. A few Years ago whilst instructing a group of Coppers in weapon disarmament techniques You know Knives Batons Bats ect ect. One of the more shall We say brainy young constables asked what would be the technique if We were to be attacked with a chainsaw !!!! after careful consideration I advised the Nike technique................RUN !!!!!!

Back on topic. I do seem to remember saying Your gear change was smoother than My one. But that was just before the engine and clutch change which has improved things anyway.

Its not that I'm tight.. Well OK I am... But 75 quid if it makes an improvement is money well spent. But if it doesn't ..

The only time My change is slightly notchy is when the car is stone cold and first to second can be felt.. This clears as soon as the transmission oils warm up and thin down But I think We subconsciously match the gear to the revs and sort of drive around the issue.

Wee Charlie.

That notchiness always bugged me too. I'd happily pay 75 when i first got the rav to get rid. Infact, i did pay about that much for g/box oil change. Which didn't do much.Now... I am used to it. But this rav is a lot better.

My only concern would be if you could make it worse by changing the bracket? I read on the forum that there were adjustments to the 4.2 gear selector linkage, but that you also could make things massively worse (i.e. not able to select gears) if you get things wrong. That'd put me off a bit from "having a go". Doesn't look like the swap procedure alters the length of the cables so maybe misplaced concern...

It shouldn't be possible to muck up the gear change but before coughing up £75 pie money to our illustrious parts man, maybe a ride in one of the newer models would be prudent.

It shouldn't be possible to muck up the gear change but before coughing up £75 pie money to our illustrious parts man, maybe a ride in one of the newer models would be prudent.

Good point Don but all cars feel differently to others ?? With respect that's a lot of dollars for such a simple part ??

If I were unhappy with the change as it is then I would pay the coin and be very happy to do so but I feel its just fine so will leave it alone.. Is there anything to be gained by greasing all those moving parts on the next bracket along ?? Nothing to loose I suppose unless dirt and dust sticks to it and clogs things up in the long run .....

Wee Charlie.

No don't grease them they are designed to be left dry. If you are happy it might not justify the cost :thumbsup:

No don't grease them they are designed to be left dry. If you are happy it might not justify the cost :thumbsup:

Thanks for that.. If I hadn't spent the morning clearing the drain tubes on a Neighbours Z4 I would have greased them.. Cheers !

Wee Charlie.

Kev. A few Years ago whilst instructing a group of Coppers in weapon disarmament techniques You know Knives Batons Bats ect ect. One of the more shall We say brainy young constables asked what would be the technique if We were to be attacked with a chainsaw !!!! after careful consideration I advised the Nike technique................RUN !!!!!!

Reminds of two stories

1, My karate instructor, Black belt, 5th Dan, a very slight chap, always advocated the "run" factor, especially when faced with more than one person, but if you did find yourself in a ruck, he had a very good technique of punching a hole in your rib cage just around your armpit :eek:

2, Whilst having a quiet pint in a pub on Sunday lunchtime, there was a bit of a rumpus around the pool table. Some scroat said something along the lines of "Dont take me on, I do karate" at that point the scroats mate came up behind him and twa*ted him over the head with a pool cue knocking him out :D:

Moral of both stories is if you can run, then run, but if you do get in a ruck don't tell the enemy what your planning :thumbsup:

How did you get involed in the Coppers training Charlie? :ph34r: :ph34r:

PS Your gearchange thingy is still £75 :D:

Reminds of two stories

1, My karate instructor, Black belt, 5th Dan, a very slight chap, always advocated the "run" factor, especially when faced with more than one person, but if you did find yourself in a ruck, he had a very good technique of punching a hole in your rib cage just around your armpit :eek:

2, Whilst having a quiet pint in a pub on Sunday lunchtime, there was a bit of a rumpus around the pool table. Some scroat said something along the lines of "Dont take me on, I do karate" at that point the scroats mate came up behind him and twa*ted him over the head with a pool cue knocking him out :D:

Moral of both stories is if you can run, then run, but if you do get in a ruck don't tell the enemy what your planning :thumbsup:

We had a couple of Plods ( Nice blokes to be honest ) as Members of Our club and We were invited on an unofficial basis to go to Police HQ and help out with a few ideas and techniques mostly in how to take down bottom wipes that were waving knives and the like around.. This developed into a more permanent thing as We had a few different ideas to the police manual..

This was around 15 Years ago. I doubt The Police would in this day and age allow any extra curricular training as it would have Health and Safety issues..

To this day I maintain do not attempt to take down anyone who is mad/stupid or plain misguided enough to pick up knives ect ! Unless You are in Mortal danger ! Of course a Copper has to try and talk any situation down but ultimately does not find it quite so acceptable to run !!

Wee Charlie.

Reminds of two stories

We had a couple of Plods ( Nice blokes to be honest ) as Members of Our club and We were invited on an unofficial basis to go to Police HQ and help out with a few ideas and techniques mostly in how to take down bottom wipes that were waving knives and the like around.. This developed into a more permanent thing as We had a few different ideas to the police manual..

This was around 15 Years ago. I doubt The Police would in this day and age allow any extra curricular training as it would have Health and Safety issues..

To this day I maintain do not attempt to take down anyone who is mad/stupid or plain misguided enough to pick up knives ect ! Unless You are in Mortal danger ! Of course a Copper has to try and talk any situation down but ultimately does not find it quite so acceptable to run !!

Wee Charlie.

The only Coppers Charlie ever trained were the ones in his Sassenach pockets...."stay" was his usual command....!!!!

Big Kev....Snake Belt....Karaoke.... :yahoo:

Kev. A few Years ago whilst instructing a group of Coppers in weapon disarmament techniques You know Knives Batons Bats ect ect.

......and fresh fruit?? :unsure:

Yeah, you know the sketch:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links