Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do You Disable The Keyless Entry System?

Randoo

Hi. New to the forum and I have a burning question. How do you disable the electronic locking system? I have a fob, two actually, that are old and no longer work properly. It costs over $150 dollars just to replace one. I'd rather just use the key. The Car is 11 years old with 160,000 miles and will probably last a while longer but I don't like to leave it unlocked.

Can anyone help? Thanks,

Randy

If it's a RAV4.2 then you can DIY program new remotes. Would be handy to find out what car you are talking about really, and what fobs you are talking about. Is there a problem with locking it with the key? Are you hinting the alarm is auto-arming? More details please.

At 11 years old it's unlikely to be a 4.2, it could just scrape in on the changeover though, and I'm assuming he means the 'blippers' ie. remote central locking fobs no longer function.

Hi Randy, I'm by no means an expert here but I often don't use the fobs on cars so as to avoid draining the Battery with the alarm when garaged for long periods.

I've never needed to disable the system, I simply just don't use it - does you car not lock properly just by sticking the key in the door?

With most you can just lock/unlock it with the key and not touch the fob at all. Though I've found with the Rav that if last locked with the fob but reopened with a key in the door then the alarm sounds. The key only method doesn't seem to activate/deactivate the alarm.

The central locking continues to operate on all doors with key-in-door only.

If you're talking about the immobiliser playing up then that's obviously more complicated.

Just a thought that perhaps the US models (assuming from the dollar sign in your post) were equipped with a different system? Could be worth posing your question on Rav4world.com too.

At 11 years old it's unlikely to be a 4.2, it could just scrape in on the changeover though, and I'm assuming he means the 'blippers' ie. remote central locking fobs no longer function.

Hi Randy, I'm by no means an expert here but I often don't use the fobs on cars so as to avoid draining the battery with the alarm when garaged for long periods.

I've never needed to disable the system, I simply just don't use it - does you car not lock properly just by sticking the key in the door?

With most you can just lock/unlock it with the key and not touch the fob at all. Though I've found with the Rav that if last locked with the fob but reopened with a key in the door then the alarm sounds. The key only method doesn't seem to activate/deactivate the alarm.

The central locking continues to operate on all doors with key-in-door only.

If you're talking about the immobiliser playing up then that's obviously more complicated.

Just a thought that perhaps the US models (assuming from the dollar sign in your post) were equipped with a different system? Could be worth posing your question on Rav4world.com too.

Thanks srjp. That may be the answer. Here's a little more backstory. Not long after getting the car (new in 2000) I tried to use the key to directly unlock the door. A memory lapse, having this being the first car I'd ever owned with a keyless remote system. It set off the alarm, probably, as you pointed out, because the car had been locked electronically. I assumed, wrongly, that I couldn't use the key as long as the system was activated.

I will attempt to see if this works a little later this morning (yes, I'm in the US where you will read this 'yesterday') in case I should set off the alarm. Hopefully the fob will function long enough to get it shut off. It seems hit and miss, with a new Battery or not, it acts like the charge is low and sets off the alarm when you try to unlock the car. Then proceeds to 'die' as you're desperately trying to shut it off.

Thanks for the tip. And the suggested link to Rav4world.com.

Both fobs perform the same way, dying almost instantly?

Have you got a multimeter to check the voltages on the Battery?

Do you have any problems starting the vehicle, from a low vehicle Battery?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links