Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Automatic Gearbox Oil

glossterline

Good morning everyone. I am new to this forum,and have what might be a dumb question. I have tried the search facility, but it did not yield a result. According to Honest John (Weekend Telegraph), changing transmission oil in an Avensis is much like doing kidney dialysis! I gather that the old oil has to be sucked out, because there is no drain plug. I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out how to do this.

Many thanks,

Les

Hi i assume you havn't got a manual for this car but if you are correct in what you have said, perhaps these later cars say like the jaguar s types have, is a so called sealed for life auto box with special long life fluid in it

However if it was my car and was determined to change the fluid i would undo the auto sum pan underneath and let it drain out that way making sure you have a long and big enough tin to cover the area and if you leave it over night it will have done a better job than if you had a sump plug

If you cant see any factory sealant showing slightly from the edge of the sump gasket then there is a good chance if you undue all the bolts evenly and tap the sump pan with a rubber hammer gently alround as you go, you could save the the gasket too Don't over tighten the bolts when putting it back You can always place it back using an ordinary gasket sealent if you want but if it looks in good shape and even just some grease around it will do

But once you start to undue the pan bolts the fluid will start gushing out anyway and you probably wont need to take it off altogether but i would cause if this sump pan has a filter in it you can clean that out as well!

Hi i assume you havn't got a manual for this car but if you are correct in what you have said, perhaps these later cars say like the jaguar s types have, is a so called sealed for life auto box with special long life fluid in it

However if it was my car and was determined to change the fluid i would undo the auto sum pan underneath and let it drain out that way making sure you have a long and big enough tin to cover the area and if you leave it over night it will have done a better job than if you had a sump plug

If you cant see any factory sealant showing slightly from the edge of the sump gasket then there is a good chance if you undue all the bolts evenly and tap the sump pan with a rubber hammer gently alround as you go, you could save the the gasket too Don't over tighten the bolts when putting it back You can always place it back using an ordinary gasket sealent if you want but if it looks in good shape and even just some grease around it will do

But once you start to undue the pan bolts the fluid will start gushing out anyway and you probably wont need to take it off altogether but i would cause if this sump pan has a filter in it you can clean that out as well!

Thanks for that 'Petroleum'. No I haven't a manual. I saw in the service schedule that changing the automatic gearbox oil was recommended every 40,000 miles. Later I read that changing the oil was not simply a case of undoing a plug and letting gravity do the rest. Honest John mentioned that sucking the old oil had to be sucked out.

Thanks again,

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links