Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soeleys Iq

Soeley

David, Thanks for taking the time to look

I can see only 3 options.

1, To poke through the the centre rubber grommet straight over the top of the engine and through the bulkhead wall, there is a small bunch of wires going through at the moment. Usually, on the inside there would be a gland and a cable tie. prodding down the edge with stiff wire might encounter an obstacle. You need to look on the inside where it comes through to clear the way..

2. there is an area to the left of it which is a painted panel just above the brake pipes. you could investigate whats on the other side of that and id ok drill a hole and fit a rubber grommet.

3, Which is my favourite is poke a small hole in the wheel arch cover and grommet that.

1. Yes that is the grommet I'd looked at, the gland with cable tie is on the engine bay side on my car. I thought the grommet looked too tight to try and get another two wires through and maintain a good seal g.gifIt is clear on the inside though. I had thought about piercing the grommet to the side of where the gland is and pushing the wire through the new hole??

2. I had not spotted that, I will look tomorrow cheers.gif

3. Hmm, I'm not quite sure where you mean there unsure.gif

For the big grommet I would cut the cable tie an get some thick copper wire and bend it in half and work the rounded bit in the middle into the the rubber sleeve where the existing cable is. with a bit of jiggling you should get it through as a mouse and drag to cables through. to the left of it is a plain part of the bulkhead loosely triangle shaped. which you might be a ble to drill and use ..I had included two pics of the plastic inside the wheel arch which you can see from inside of the engine bay. I would think there is a way in from there if you put a small hole in it. take a look

David

post-109788-0-77881100-1325546225_thumb.

post-109788-0-63760500-1325546251_thumb.

David, Thank You.

You have just given me the perfect answer without realising it :yahoo:

The link you posted in the JBL thread for the fitting instructions JBL have a look at page 15 of the PDF.

I thought those little noblets were to aid in pulling the grommet through the hole, but no, cut the end off, feed the wires through and clamp shut with a cable tie :thumbsup:

Guess what I'm doing tonight when I get home ;)

Ha it was a bit dark and not easy to see. Like you thought as it was a big grommet i thought it was some mounting thingy. Supurb if i stick with my electric fan waste of money toy then i will use them. Cheers

David

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I missed this for some reason, an Air Horn! WHA-HOOOOOOOOGAAAAAA! I would love an air horn fitted to our iQ. Wake up pedestrian! Can you hear me above your i-POD music? You can now... WHA-HOOOOOOOOGAAAAAA!

Sorry. Images of 'The Mask' and Jim Carey come to mind when I think of Air Horns. Nice work by the way. Obviously you have the confidence to take your car apart and fit things to it. I used to be like that too, in the late seventies and early 90's. Not anymore. Oh Yeah! Just listened to it on You Tube at

Loud enough for yah?

Although, this is the, as the French say- Piece-da-resitance... well, it's close;

I'm gonna have to stop looking, I found this - http://trainhorns.net/

• 2 months later...

Another update. The recent talk of Lowering Springs has pushed me to get my photos uploaded. I bought some Eibach springs, 25mm drop at the front and 30mm at the rear. I had them fitted at http://www.drurylaneservices.com/, who are quite local to me, and have known about them for as long as I can remember. I found them through http://www.alignmyca...treLocator.aspx. I would have fitted them myself, but having to do it outside, I couldn't wait for the better weather lol.

Front Before

FrontBefore.jpg

Front After

FrontAfter.jpg

Rear Before

RearBefore.jpg

Rear After

RearAfter.jpg

I haven't gotten around to taking any pictures of the car yet to show how she sits, next job lol.

• Like 1

Get some pics of the car, next to a standard one, as this is another thing I am thinking of doing - especially as it should help roadholding (as long as it does not destroy the comfortable ride)

To be honest i don't think the comfort of the ride has changed, feels harsher over potholes, but it hasn't turned it into a tooth rattler.

I'll go and take some pictures of mine ;)

Ok here are some more pictures of my lowered iQ, I don't know any one with a std height one to compare side by side, but if you look at the clearance under the arches and look at some other pictures you should get a good idea.

WP_000092.jpg

WP_000094.jpg

WP_000093.jpg

Ohhh, Cheers Mark

Those are the same springs I bought for my car so glad to hear the ride hasn't suffered too much. Looks better though, The arches now seem the right size for the wheels or vice versa.

Looking forward to getting mine on there now but I have just realised the Eibach springs are made for the 1.0 models and I have an iQ3 with the 1.3 engine. Hope the front isn't too low with the added mass of the slightly bigger engine?

Craig.

The springs for the iQ3 are the same as the 1.4 diesel, those are the ones you need to order. Not sure how the 1 liter springs will work with the extra weight of the iQ3, you might get more sag on the front end, they might even compromise the handling?

Can you change the order?

Well, I actually won the ones I have on eBay, Got them brand new in the box for a price I couldn't refuse. Maybe some friendly Eibach dealer will exchange them. I'll ask when I receive them.

Cheers

Craig.

Wont the diesel have stronger springs? They are usually heavyier engines.

Fish

Looking at the specs for the car the iQ3 with manual transmission is 70kgs total heavier than the iQ1 or 2 with the multidrive transmission. 70 Kg's is about one me or a similar size passenger, wonder if it will really make a difference if I can't exchange them?

The genuine Toyota lowering springs seem to be sold as 2 sets but one for petrol powered cars and one set for Diesel powered cars, Rear springs are the same for both.

Craig.

All the places I looked at listed springs for iQ1 and iQ2 and a different set of springs for iQ3 and iQ diesel. I presume the weight difference between iQ3 and iQ diesel is less than the difference between iQ1 and iQ3 ?

That picture of the cemetery looks familiar. Is that where many of the one-year-old Smarts are buried? The ones that fall apart or which crumble into pieces if they get hit by a fly?

Hmmm, Bugger springs to mind. (Springs, get it.... :) )

Well, It seems I now have a lovely new set of Ibach springs in the post suitable for a 1.0 iQ1 and iQ2, If any one is interested in doing a deal with me let me know and then I can buy the Diesel ones for my iQ3

Craig.

Cheers Mark, I'll give them a go and see what they say. Just to add to the confusion I've looked on the Eibach page and the specs seem to be the same for both spring sets. They quote the same axle loads of 670Kg front and 630Kg for the rear axle for both the 1.0 and the 1.4D springs but they do have different part numbers. I can't imagine the suspension struts are different for both models?

I'll contact the people you got yours from anyway and see if I can get an answer or a special deal on buying just the front springs if they can get them separately direct from Eibach.

Thanks for your help

Craig.

No worries, hope you get something sorted ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Another new update to my iQ. After a quick visit to http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/, I came back with a different look.

A set of Calibre Pro 7 17" wheels wearing 205/45/17 tyres. The pictures are off my phone and haven't picked them out very well.

WP_000101.jpg

WP_000104.jpg

WP_000105.jpg

WP_000106.jpg

Now i need to dress the hubs and calipers.

Mark, they look nice, but, please dress them carefully. No frilly frills... actually, what about copper or gold paint? Looking at the bottom pic, with the black wheels. C'mon, whaddaya say? The white mudflaps look good too.

Thanks Bob, you'll have to wait and see ;)

Looks great. :)

I assume there are no interference issues with the wider wheels and the lowered suspension?

Craig.

Cheers peeps,

No, the overall diameter is the same as the standard tyres. These are 30mm wider, and most (if not all) of the extra width is pushed the the outside. The front tyres now sit perfectly flush with the edge of the wing, where as before they were set back. The rears are also pushed our nearer to the edge :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links