Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Lamp Units On A 4.2

lovegroove

I'm exporting my 2005 4.2 XT3 D4-D to France and have to change the lights from RHD to LHD. I've purchased a new set of lamp units and have had them sitting around waiting for me to change for a few weeks, but I've been putting it off. Just wondering if there's much involved in doing this job or if it's a PITA and I'm better off taking it to the garage and letting a pro do it. It looks like it's just 3 bolts holding the unit in, but access could be a problem and I have no idea about how to setup the motors.

Any hints, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need to drop the front bumper to get all of them. There's another topic just below exactly on that subject, apparently a PDF guide is available if you need it.

For the motors you unwind the adjustment screws and turn the motor unit itself slightly to unclip. Fitting to new lamp housing is reverse of this. To adjust them you should ideally go to a garage with the correct machine, but search the internet for quick guides on how to do it against a wall.

I was hoping to get away without taking the bumper off. The left side looks like it has the best access, so i will try and do that one and see how it goes. Where do I get the PDF from?

I did it not too long ago and don't think it's possible to get the bottom corner bolt out without dropping the bumper but you'll soon find out either way.

The pdf was referenced in the other thread on this topic down below this one called "How Do I Remove Front Bumper On 4.2 Rav" - you might have to message one of the other members to get it.

I went out with my spanners earlier and I definitely can't get to the bottom bolt without taking the bumper off. Having had previous experience of the crappy Toyota plastic clips, I'm reluctant to take it off as I'll probably never get it back on again. I think I'll just take it to the garage and get a quote for them to do it as at least they can set the lights up properly afterwards.

You say that, and I thought the same thing, but when I got mine back from the alignment check they'd not done it correctly at all. It was quite obvious driving at night that one was lower than the other and when I did the CT the guy recorded one lamp at 3 and the other at 2.1. Readjusted the 2.1 side back up to the same level as the other myself against a wall.

The alignment was around 20€ by the way, for fitting they'll probably charge at least one hour labour so anything from 50 to 80 from what I've seen in 73.