Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light

johnlesliecarlisle

2003 rav4 petrol. The management light comes on periodicaly what sort of cost will I be looking at and is it serious its running ok and still 30 mpg Just had a service

Hi

The ECU will store an error code, you need this to figure out what is causing the light to illuminate. The light illuminates to tell you something is wrong (usually wrong sensor data) and the car is going into a protective engine mode. Normally this will effect emissions and would typically fail a MOT, it also may not be good for the long term health of the engine.

You can buy cheap ODBII code readers (Google ODBII for more info) for around £25 off eBay, but if your service was done by a garage You could have a go at getting them to read the code for free. (five minute job)

Based on Rav history my rough guess is its probably an Oxygen sensor. Typical very approx costs (assuming just one sensor has gone) is £80 (for a non dealer part) £120 when supplied via Toyota, plus fitting which can be simple or a pig if its seized.

(these prices may have changed since I last looked)

This is a total guess till you get the code/s read.

Hi

The ECU will store an error code, you need this to figure out what is causing the light to illuminate. The light illuminates to tell you something is wrong (usually wrong sensor data) and the car is going into a protective engine mode. Normally this will effect emissions and would typically fail a MOT, it also may not be good for the long term health of the engine.

You can buy cheap ODBII code readers (Google ODBII for more info) for around £25 off ebay, but if your service was done by a garage You could have a go at getting them to read the code for free. (five minute job)

Based on Rav history my rough guess is its probably an Oxygen sensor. Typical very approx costs (assuming just one sensor has gone) is £80 (for a non dealer part) £120 when supplied via Toyota, plus fitting which can be simple or a pig if its seized.

(these prices may have changed since I last looked)

This is a total guess till you get the code/s read.

+1 All of this.

Far better to get a code reader than to just throw costly parts at it until it is fixed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links