Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunroof In New Rav 4

private4587

Hi everyone just taken delivery of a new Rav 4 XTR auto, well my wife has because i am at work. I thought that we had spected it out well but she has since told me it does not have a sun roof. we did ask the salesman for the same or similar spec to our 2008 model that we traded in. I have searched the online brouchure and cannot find any mention of a sunroof. Is this one of the quirks I find with Toyota were as they remove some options one year only to bring them back the next? one example is the autodimming rearview mirrow.

thanks for a great site

It is a disappointment to Me that the sunroof is no longer an option on the Rav4. We have the T180 with the electric sunroof and I would buy a new SR with auto transmission and a full spec which would have to include a sunroof. But it is not possible so We will just carry on with the one We have until the new Range Rover Evoque becomes available and buy one of those instead....

This is the first period of time that the Wife and I have not had a convertible sat on the drive alongside whatever other motors We have.

So the sunroof goes some way to alleviate this.. Now the sunroof is no longer an option ? Well We shop elsewhere .... Sorry if this sounds pedantic but if I am speccing a 30K plus vehicle I want what I want..... Shame as I genuinely do like the combination of space equipment performance 4WD ability ect ect that the Rav gives Us .....

Wee Charlie.

Sounds like Toyota have been a bunch of daft prunes...

I too love our sunroof and wouldn't want a car without one... that said, i will not be in the market to replace our car any time soon and when i am it certainly won't be with a new one!!!!

Hopefully they'll wake up and realise how stupid they've been!!

And yet if you go to the USA, the dealers are full of variants with sun roofs. It only takes TGB to ask for them and they will get them. The same could be said of an option. I think most would be happy to wait 6 weeks for a factory order.

....and yet, here's wee me...sunroof fitted, and only used for "static ventilation" of car when parked on a hot day, so very seldom gets used in this hemisphere...

In truth, I find the car sounds like a Chinook Helicopter with it open, so I only slide it open every so often to keep it lubricated....maybe me and Charlie could swap roofs, so Range Rover would lose a sale...?

Big Kev :thumbsup:

For once I agree with BK :thumbsup:, I seldom use it apart from ventilation when parked up on a hot day, in fact it's single day of most use was in spring this year when I was having to run a bit of silicon lube around the rubber as it was binding.

Having said that I quite often have the internal cover open to let the light in.

Gus

I will very often have it tilted up which I find doesn't cause the chinook effect. I also like the extra light.

On top of this it means I can keep an eye on the bikes on the roof!

For once I agree with BK :thumbsup:, I seldom use it apart from ventilation when parked up on a hot day, in fact it's single day of most use was in spring this year when I was having to run a bit of silicon lube around the rubber as it was binding.

Having said that I quite often have the internal cover open to let the light in.

Gus

Ditto for me too. It's probably the noisiest sunroof I've experienced on any car I've owned. Kev's description of a Chinook, or 'Wocka Wocka' as I believe they are called in the trade, is spot on.

Could fit one of those acrylic cowls but to me they look a bit like wearing a flat cap with a dinner suit - spoils the look.

Maybe with more advanced and economical and common Air Conditioning, plus the extra headroom and the problems with leaks and drains later on in life, a sunroof is a dying feature?

Maybe with more advanced and economical and common Air Conditioning, plus the extra headroom and the problems with leaks and drains later on in life, a sunroof is a dying feature?

I must admit that I've always found a sunroof with air con a bit of a contradiction. It's always been one or the other for me although our VX had the roof & A/C as standard so couldn't do much about it.

It's only a contradiction if you use them at the same time!!!

A sunroof can't clear your windscreen any better than air conditioning can give you extra light and proper fresh air...

"It's only a contradiction if you use them at the same time!!! "

Fair point, Dave, but it depends on whether the sunroof is used for ventilation or not. If like most people, the roof doesn't get used from one summer to the next (too noisy, too blustering, messes up my hairdo, the wasps will get in, etc.) then it's not worth having if you have a choice, especially as air-con is much more efficient in providing a constant & comfortable temp.

"A sunroof can't clear your windscreen any better than air conditioning can give you extra light and proper fresh air..."

Another fair point & if extra light is important, then go for it. Not so sure about the fresh air bit though when you're stuck in a traffic jam on the M6 in high summer.

True. But when you live in Scotland and are surrounded by small A roads, there's nothing better than driving with all the windows (and sunroof) open on the one day a year the sun comes out!!!

That is fresh air... Non of this a/c malarky!!!

"It's only a contradiction if you use them at the same time!!! "

Fair point, Dave, but it depends on whether the sunroof is used for ventilation or not. If like most people, the roof doesn't get used from one summer to the next (too noisy, too blustering, messes up my hairdo, the wasps will get in, etc.) then it's not worth having if you have a choice, especially as air-con is much more efficient in providing a constant & comfortable temp.

Meant to add... That's why it should be an option. For those who don't want it, don't buy it. And for the Charlies and Daves out there.... It should be an option...

Only ever had a sun-roof in my T180 and to be quite honest I can live without one. I would much prefer a panaromic roof like the ones on the upmarket QQ,but I do think that it should be an option on the Rav4. When I had my X3 and went on Beemer forums the biggest complaint was how to stop the factory fitted one from leaking!!!!

Regards Clare

Well for those Who don't want the buffeting when the roof is open there is a simply wind deflector from a company called Climair.. Only 30 quid and No drilling to fit... Or simply wind the window down a bit and its fine .

I like a sunroof for the light feel it gives to an otherwise dark interior .. My car is all black leather.. You just don't have to open to benefit from it .

To those Who say why have Air con and a sunroof well why not ?? As above if I am going to spec a brand new car and I can absolutely and honestly assure You that if a Brand new Rav was available with the options I want that is exactly what I would have done then I want a sunroof and that's all there is to it .. Why spend in excess of 30K and feel something is missing ??

So if Mr Toyota is looking then He can be assured that at least one sale has been lost...

Wee Charlie.

There should be a new model in 2014. Maybe then we will get our sunroof back.

The sunroof on the RAV will stop short of fully open by about 3 inches to stop (reduce) the buffeting and needs another press to fully open it. It is caused when air pressure inside the car causes the body to expand then when it reaches the limit the body re-forms and fights back pushing the air out. As Charlie says, the simple fix is drop a window and let the air out.

Fitted a wind deflector a month after buying my T180.Could`nt stand the wind noise & buffeting with the sun roof wide open.Now it`s a pleasure to have the roof open & enjoy the sun & fresh air,when we get it.Need something to replace my sorely missed MG.

BJK

I'll have it on tilt occasionally but prefer air con to be honest, our average summer temp is probably around 26C but feels much hotter in direct sunlight on black leather so just having warm air blown from above in doesn't help cool the car down. I'm also slightly scared a bird would manage to land a 'deposit' through an open sunroof!

Quite agree it should be an option for those who want it though, wonder what the rationale/saving is to justifying not offering it in the UK?

I'll have it on tilt occasionally but prefer air con to be honest, our average summer temp is probably around 26C but feels much hotter in direct sunlight on black leather so just having warm air blown from above in doesn't help cool the car down. I'm also slightly scared a bird would manage to land a 'deposit' through an open sunroof!

Quite agree it should be an option for those who want it though, wonder what the rationale/saving is to justifying not offering it in the UK?

Can see where you're coming for, srjp.....bird sh@t on my car t'other day....won't ask her out again.... :angry:

Big Kev

Ha ha, at least it wasn't on the leather eh?

Good grief....how did you know what she was wearing...?

Kink Kev :yahoo:

Quality Kev, I don,t know how you think of them so quick on the uptake as well!!!!! :yahoo:

regards Clare

Beats me,in this country,why it is called a sun roof!! :yahoo:

Del

Beats me,in this country,why it is called a sun roof!! :yahoo:

Del

Well in My case its because the roof lets My sunny personality and disposition shine out of the hole in the roof ....................... :rolleyes:

What utter bowlarks eh ???

Wee Sunny Charlie.