Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Camera - T180

kanulondon

Before anyone complains, I have used the search functionality and found some interesting posts and guides by Darkside, SHCM, etc however as these posts were old I thought I'd ask some new questions.

Doing a eBay search

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=RAV4+camera&_sacat=See-All-Categories

There seems to be a load of camera's available nowadays. A couple of them such as this one below come with fitting instructions

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCD-Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Camera-Toyota-RAV4-RAV-4-/230591219520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b04ec740

• Take out your stock license plate light at the back of your car.
  • Fix the camera to where the stock license plate light was.
  • Connect the built-in license plate light of the camera to where the stock license plate light was connected to get the power
  • Connect the power of the camera to your car reverse lights - red wire to positive and black wire to negative.
  • Connect the video cable of the camera to the extension cord.
  • Connect the extension cord to your car monitor.
  • You will see the images when your car is in reverse shift.

However the instructions differ somewhat from the guides I've read (using the search!) on the forum. So has anyone actually installed one of these newer kits? They seem easier than the guides in terms of swap off / swap on, but I'm sceptical and I am not sure the light will be an exact fit. Also what the hell do I do with the wiring?

Some of the cameras purport to come with guidelines on the screen, is this correct?

Would love to get a camera installed. I don't mind a bit of DIY. I fitted a chip kit and HID upgrades. But don't feel confident in playing with the head unit and trailing masses of wires!

Any advice would be warmly received! Seems a cheap and decent upgrade for parts costing £20

KL

Also what the hell do I do with the wiring?

Follow the guides here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72730

and here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72731

That you have already found.

Wire the camera power lead up to the reversing lights as Darkside did.

Cut the yellow phono plug off the lead. If it's of reasonably decent quality it will probably have a braid screen and an inner conductor. Make some sort of plug for the socket in the rear door, like JHRC did (or back the receptacles out of the socket in the rear door and connect directly).

Connect the inner conductor of the phono cable to pin 2 (V+) on the plug. Connect the phono cable braid to pin 1 (V-) on the plug. Put the plug in the socket in the back door. You may also have to jump pin1 to pin3 (V- to CGND), as V- also acts as an enable to tell the system a camera is present and so needs to be connected to a vehicle ground to do this. It may essentially already be connected to vehicle ground via the camera power ground, but sometimes it causes problems and needs a direct connection to CGND.

It may be old, but everything is still relevant.

Thanks shcm.

Can you advise what tools I will need to undertake this job?

How long do you think it would take?

Basically I need only take off rear panel and work using existing connections..

Looking at previous posts it appears those cheap cams seem not to fit the T180? So it looks like I need to do some more drilling

Thanks shcm.

How long do you think it would take?

Basically I need only take off rear panel and work using existing connections..

Looking at previous posts it appears those cheap cams seem not to fit the T180? So it looks like I need to do some more drilling

Mate if You fancy a get together on this Wee job I have all the tools here in sunny Burntisland just a few miles from You. What I don't have is knowledge..

That said I did fit a camera into My old van. It was one of those wireless jobs where I simply connected the camera itself to the wire in the light loom so it became live when reverse was selected. The monitor was a stand alone that just plugged into the ciggarete lighter...... Not brilliant but good enough for the van...

Wee Charlie.

Hi Charlie, would definitely be up for doing that. I can procure the cameras and we'll use your equipment :)

The reversing beeps do my head in on the Rav!

Errr Reverse beeps ?? I don't have those ... Is that part of a parking sensor package ???

My Wife finds parking the Rav a little difficult !! Not helped by the fact that She has a severe back injury and its pain full for Her to turn her head round to look. So a parking camera would hopefully help !!

Plus when I'm hooking up the Jet Ski trailer I always end up miles from the hitch !!!

RavandSki001.jpg

I Have PMd My number to You.

Wee Charlie.

Yeah, a large kango rock drill, crowbar and a small JCB (Bothy can advise). Sorry, couldn't resist. :D.

How to get the back door trim off is shown in Anch's 90 degree check strap thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71227

What I don't have is knowledge..

You could always pay me flybe fare to Glasga :D. (makes it an expensive camera).

Seriously, if you have trouble with it, I could always help you out with it when you're next down in W Mids.

Errr Reverse beeps ?? I don't have those ... Is that part of a parking sensor package ???

My Wife finds parking the Rav a little difficult !! Not helped by the fact that She has a severe back injury and its pain full for Her to turn her head round to look. So a parking camera would hopefully help !!

Plus when I'm hooking up the Jet Ski trailer I always end up miles from the hitch !!!

RavandSki001.jpg

I Have PMd My number to You.

Wee Charlie.

Beeps when in reverse with parking sensors.

But if you have tow bar there should be a switch to turn them off/ on (bottom left near rear 12V supply if I recall mine correctly).

u have a car,The cables are concealed on the ceiling to steer clear of interception of computer hackers. On the flip side, cordless spy camera are generally small and attached to the things which are very unusual. This is often utilized by undercover agents to easily enter the suspected hide outs of criminals or any other suspicious individuals. The common points which carry spy cameras are pens, mp3 players, cellular phones, necklace, earrings, as well as belt buckles.

Am somewhat confused by the last reply . . .

I think we're being watched...................

+1...................... :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links