Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

7Mgte To 2Jzgte Conversion

Ash Thomas

hi all, i have a 1986 Ma70 supra, i am looking to convert this from a 7mgte to a 2jzgte, just wondering if a 2jz will bolt up to the 7mgte engine mounts. What other issue might i run into?

Hi there.

No the engine mounts are different.

The later MK3 Supra as im sure you're aware were available with the 1JZ-GTE, so if you pop to your local Toyota dealer you can order up the correct engine mounts (as the 1jz/2jz are essentially the same engine).

Gearbox mounts depends on which gearbox you have and which you are going to use.

If you have a manual (R154) and you are going to keep this then you'll require a 1JZ>R154 Bellhousing from a manual Soarer but because the input shaft is longer you will need a spacer made up.

A cheaper alternative is to contact Castlemaine Rod Shop as i believe they do a Supra R154 to 1JZ/2JZ custom bellhousing kit.

If you are currently running an automatic 7mgte and you are planning an automatic 2jzgte then you may well be able to get away with just swapping engines and gearboxes as the mk3 supra auto box is very very similar in design to the mk4 auto box.

This isnt a conversion that i've done myself, but i have done a 1UZ-FE with R154 into an MA61. So i have a good idea about the problems you are going to run into.

Best thing to do is start by getting the correct mounts from Toyota, shoehorn the engine and box into the car; and with the engine bolted into the correct place take it from there :thumbsup:

The 1JZ Supras also ran the later fluid filled "round" engine mounts, which AFAIK mated to a different front sub frame than the ones on a pre facelift car.

Apart from that and the obvious custom exhaust and getting familiar with some wiring diagrams there is no massive issue.

Great thanks for the information, do 2jz engine mounts bolt straight up to the brackets on the cross member? what is the best way to solve the head gasket issues with a 7mgte, just aftermarket studs and a steel gasket? i am running r154 gearbox at the moment and have a spare one so will probably go with this model.

Gasket isnt the problem on the 7M (Correct me if im wrong Charlie), its the torque settings of the head bolts from the factory that are wrong. Check out posts on MKIIISupra.net for the correct settings. If the head gasket hasnt already gone you should be able to torque it up and avoid the gasket ever going.

Cross member is different i believe. The Earlier 7M mounts are square (not sure about the later ones) and the 1JZ/2JZ mounts are circular.

Done properly the headgaskets are fine, they weren't done that well from the factory (that said I have had 4 7Ms and hever had one go).

The problem is once they have gone if they are not fixed properly issues can arise. There is some debate about just retorquing a gasket that has already settled. Lots to read on MKIIISupra.net.

• 4 months later...

to piggy back off this topic..

i have a 1989 GA70 with a 1G-GTE thats not very happy, and id like to put a 2jz-gte in it.

so my question is, am i going to run into problems with the installation of the 2j?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links