Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Switching The Pink Wire

CharlieFarlie

Sorry to bring this old subject up....

Right I want to put a switch in the pink wire that is usually cut to disable the TPMS light.

Can I simply cut the wire and take one end to one terminal on a switch and take another wire from the other terminal to the other end of the pink wire ???

Is it that simple ??

There is a switch bank where the rheostat and the headlight height adjuster sits and there are a couple of blanked panels where a switch could be put. I think I would need a genuine Toyota switch of some kind for it to fit in this panel. So can anyone help by pointing out a suitable switch ???

The reason for switching is so I can activate the TPMS light when the summer wheels are on and disable when the winter set without the special valves are on..... :thumbsup:

Thanks !

Wee Charlie.

setting aside the morals of cutting pink wires, I bought a couple of switches for my RAV a few years ago.... at £35 a pop ! :eek: :eek:

as long as the wire that runs from the tpms light is grounded it shouldnt matter. I dont think you can do what you say as when you switched it to turn the tpms light OFF it wouldnt be grounded it would simply be cut! If that makes sense. you would have to rig it so when the switch was set to OFF the pink wire that runs from the light would be connected to the grounding wire

setting aside the morals of cutting pink wires, I bought a couple of switches for my RAV a few years ago.... at £35 a pop ! :eek: :eek:

Link ?? Please ??

Wee Charlie.

I posted the link to what you need to do a few days ago here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129950&view=findpost&p=1155005

To repeat myself again, the switch diagram is here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120513&view=findpost&p=1083915

You basically need a change over switch. Switch common goes to TPMS light side of the "pink" wire. Then one switch terminal connects to the TPMS ECU side of the "pink" wire, then you need another wire connected to Ground which goes to the 3rd switch terminal. As shown.

I may be wrong, but Toyota's switch cut-outs don't seems to conform to any of the standard auto switch sizes. I've had other changeover switches from RS in the cutouts you describe. They looked OK and fitted OK, but it required some plastic removal on the rear of the panel (out of sight).

I'll see if I can find the part number again. Alternatively, Kingo might be able to find you something, but I expect they will be several times the price of a standard switch.

I posted the link to what you need to do a few days ago here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129950&view=findpost&p=1155005

To repeat myself again, the switch diagram is here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120513&view=findpost&p=1083915

You basically need a change over switch. Switch common goes to TPMS light side of the "pink" wire. Then one switch terminal connects to the TPMS ECU side of the "pink" wire, then you need another wire connected to Ground which goes to the 3rd switch terminal. As shown.

I may be wrong, but Toyota's switch cut-outs don't seems to conform to any of the standard auto switch sizes. I've had other changeover switches from RS in the cutouts you describe. They looked OK and fitted OK, but it required some plastic removal on the rear of the panel (out of sight).

I'll see if I can find the part number again. Alternatively, Kingo might be able to find you something, but I expect they will be several times the price of a standard switch.

Sorry Mate !! When I go through all those threads I just get confused ! Unless wiring is explained to me just as You would to a child I just loose the plot !!

Thats why I asked the question as simply as I could and apologised for asking it again.

I was hoping simply putting a switch in the wire to break the flow would do the trick.. But it seems it wont.. Perhaps I should go and get raped by an auto electrician..

Wee Charlie.

just pop spade connectors on the ends of the wires. its only a 2 min job to pop the binnacle off and connect/reconnect

Sorry Mate !! When I go through all those threads I just get confused ! Unless wiring is explained to me just as You would to a child I just loose the plot !!

Thats why I asked the question as simply as I could and apologised for asking it again.

I was hoping simply putting a switch in the wire to break the flow would do the trick.. But it seems it wont.. Perhaps I should go and get raped by an auto electrician..

Wee Charlie.

I have this TPM flashing light too, and I would be interested in the solution.

If anyone wants to send a detailed description, they could send me it in a private mail if they want to :)

Thanks

I have this TPM flashing light too, and I would be interested in the solution.

If anyone wants to send a detailed description, they could send me it in a private mail if they want to :)

Thanks

No No No ! Dont keep it private !!! All I want is a very simple drawing of where to connect and which wires to connect to PLEASE ????

Wee Charlie.

Sean . I could do it this way but I'm a fussy sod so would like to do it with a switch..

Added to which this car may be going to My Son a soon as I get another Rav.. He is a very bright lad. A qualified Accountant. But He cant even change a fuse let alone remove a binnacle ad mess about with wires.. At the moment We live 360 miles apart so its not like I can nip across town and do it for him....

Wee Charlie.

All right Charlie, don't worry! All information is public! :thumbsup:

I want to find this out too!

I would like a simple drawing or diagram showing how it's done, so if anybody can help PLEASE do so.

There is no such thing as impossible.

From the description and diagram given above this is the diagram. The resistor probably isn't strictly necessary but it can help prevent damage if the clocks are badly designed.

switch.jpg

From the description and diagram given above this is the diagram. The resistor probably isn't strictly necessary but it can help prevent damage if the clocks are badly designed.

switch.jpg

Charlie, switch you need is an SPDT - single pole double throw. You will need to shop around to find one that you like the look of. See PDF :thumbsup:

SPDT switch.pdf

Charlie, switch you need is an SPDT - single pole double throw. You will need to shop around to find one that you like the look of. See PDF :thumbsup:

Gentlemen! Big Thanks!!!!! :thumbsup:

switch.jpg

I am now starting to fell embarrassed !! I see in the diagram the position of the TPMS and the Clocks.. But the brown bit and the rest I cant understand....

What I need is a diagram showing the position of the TPMS the Clocks The switch And the individual wires and which pole on the switch I connect them to..

I have no understanding of electrical icons. The brown part may mean something to those with a little recognition.... To Me err nothing sorry .. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

But We are getting there ......

Thanks..

Wee Charlie.

switch.jpg

Thanks for that !! At least I know what to ask for. I will pay a visit to Maplins and see what they have..

Wee Charlie.

TOGGLE%20SWITCH%20SPDT%20TO61-384%20BLUE.jpg

The centre pin is common. Activating the switch slides a little metal sled inside, joining it to the pin on the outside.

Moving this switch to the right joins the left pin to the centre pin; and vice versa.

Not the last switch !!

Charlie if you were any where near me I would show/do it for you, but keep on trying someone between Scotland and Brum will volunteer :thumbsup:

Gus

Right Guys that's the switch sorted !!. All I need now PLEASE. Is the way exactly how to wire it IE take the cut pink wire from the switch to this terminal on the switch ect PLEASE ??

Here are a couple of those SPDT Switches please advise if they are correct ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Off-rocker-switch-BLACK-SPDT-20mm-hole-snap-/370252838167?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5634c9f517#ht_619wt_932

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPDT-Miniature-Toggle-Switch-on-on-1-Circuit-3A-250V-Dashboard-Car-Van-Boat-/200663343765?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2eb877a295#ht_2031wt_799

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Van-Boat-3-Position-Dashboard-SPDT-Rocker-Switch-/170658493339?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27bc09f39b#ht_2110wt_989

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-Momentary-on-off-on-SPDT-3P-ROCKER-SWITCH-11C-/220786725044?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3367ea10b4#ht_2434wt_1216

Here is where I would like to mount the switch. Hell the inside of My car is dirty. been doing some building alterations......

switch002.jpg

I would say number 3 is the one you want Charlie - first two won't match too well and third one is a 'momentary' switch i.e. it will spring back as soon as you let go.

As for wiring, once correct pink wire is located and cut :fear:

1 Determine which end goes into the clock/pack. Connect this wire to centre terminal on switch. This is the critical connection.

2 Connect other end of pink wire [that goes to the TPMS ECU] to either of the outer terminals.

3 Connect remaining terminal to ground/earth EDIT - as Gus mentioned, and as shown in Joylove's drawing, include a 1K ohm resistor in line as added protection Depending on which way round the outer two terminals are connected, position 1 will leave the TPMS connected and position two will disconnect it [or vice versa].

If the switch is in centre position the TPMS will be off and there will be no grounding so I would expect the TPMS light to be on.

You may well need to extend the pink wires to reach the desired switch position. If that is the case, I would use insulated, crimp on, bullet connectors to join to cut end of pink wire and insulated, crimp on, spade connectors to attach to switch. That way no soldering required.

NB Don't forget that you will need to knock out the blanking piece and cut a suitably sized mounting hole in it for the switch.

I await incoming from SCHM :fear:

If you're really unsure about this Charlie it's bread and butter work for an auto sparky - doubt whole job would take half an hour once pink wire located :thumbsup:

Edited by Davrav

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last question: is the pink wire behind the speedometer at the 5th connection point?

Please agree with it or say it's wrong.

Thanks

Right Guys that's the switch sorted !!. All I need now PLEASE. Is the way exactly how to wire it IE take the cut pink wire from the switch to this terminal on the switch ect PLEASE ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Off-rocker-switch-BLACK-SPDT-20mm-hole-snap-/370252838167?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5634c9f517#ht_619wt_932

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPDT-Miniature-Toggle-Switch-on-on-1-Circuit-3A-250V-Dashboard-Car-Van-Boat-/200663343765?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2eb877a295#ht_2031wt_799

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Van-Boat-3-Position-Dashboard-SPDT-Rocker-Switch-/170658493339?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27bc09f39b#ht_2110wt_989

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-Momentary-on-off-on-SPDT-3P-ROCKER-SWITCH-11C-/220786725044?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3367ea10b4#ht_2434wt_1216

Here is where I would like to mount the switch. Hell the inside of My car is dirty. been doing some building alterations......

switch002.jpg

I would say number 3 is the one you want Charlie - first two won't match too well and third one is a 'momentary' switch i.e. it will spring back as soon as you let go.

1 Determine which end goes into the clock/pack. Connect this wire to centre terminal on switch. This is the critical connection.

2 Connect other end of pink wire [that goes to the TPMS ECU] to either of the outer terminals.

3 Connect remaining terminal to ground/earth EDIT - as Gus mentioned, and as shown in Joylove's drawing, include a 1K ohm resistor in line as added protection Depending on which way round the outer two terminals are connected, position 1 will leave the TPMS connected and position two will disconnect it [or vice versa].

If the switch is in centre position the TPMS will be off and there will be no grounding so I would expect the TPMS light to be on.

You may well need to extend the pink wires to reach the desired switch position. If that is the case, I would use insulated, crimp on, bullet connectors to join to cut end of pink wire and insulated, crimp on, spade connectors to attach to switch. That way no soldering required.

NB Don't forget that you will need to knock out the blanking piece and cut a suitably sized mounting hole in it for the switch.

If you're really unsure about this Charlie it's bread and butter work for an auto sparky - doubt whole job would take half an hour once pink wire located :thumbsup:

Brilliant . Thanks David.. I will be soldering and heat shrinking all the connections.. So no problems there.. I PMd Kingo to see if there was a suitable OE Toyota switch that would fit the blanked out section in the switch bank. Below is the reply Im sure He wont mind Me posting it up..

Hi Charlie

I was looking at that thread earlier and tried to find out what our switches are, i dont think they are SPDT, and if they were, they are horrendously priced, like £50 ish upwards You would be better off getting something quite small and neat and fitting into a blanking switch, as you wont buy an over the counter switch to fit in the hole, just cut a hole in the blank and that way you can just buy a cheap blank if you wanted to take it out at a later date

Cheers

John

So I was thinking along the lines of drilling one of the blanks and siteing a switch there as Kingos reply says a blank can be fitted later if needed ...

I did wonder what a momentary switch was !!!

Thanks again

Wee Charlie.

So I was thinking along the lines of drilling one of the blanks and siteing a switch there as Kingos reply says a blank can be fitted later if needed ...

Thanks again

Wee Charlie.

I reckon if you do a photo 'how to' as you go along would win you a few friends Charlie :thumbsup:

switch002.jpg

Brilliant . Thanks David.. I will be soldering and heat shrinking all the connections.. So no problems there.. I PMd Kingo to see if there was a suitable OE Toyota switch that would fit the blanked out section in the switch bank. Below is the reply Im sure He wont mind Me posting it up..

Hi Charlie

I was looking at that thread earlier and tried to find out what our switches are, i dont think they are SPDT, and if they were, they are horrendously priced, like £50 ish upwards You would be better off getting something quite small and neat and fitting into a blanking switch, as you wont buy an over the counter switch to fit in the hole, just cut a hole in the blank and that way you can just buy a cheap blank if you wanted to take it out at a later date

Cheers

John

Unquote.

Thanks again

Wee Charlie.