Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smelly Air Con On Start Up

Molnboman

Sorry another question. The aircon appears a bit smelly on start up....a kind of musty / foostie smell ( can you tell I am Scottish? hahaha ) Any ideas? Is this normal? It's cold enough that's for sure, so it's not because it's not functioning!

Should I change the cabin / pollen filter ( if it has one ) I have no idea if it was done at the 120k km service.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

A

Drop the glove box down by waggling it from side to side. It's behind the big white rectangular cover. Think one of the stickies shows it. Mine was pretty disgusting I have to admit.

Its been covered before a few times.

Like me, Molnboman is a newbie,could you show us were or how to find an old post please.

Or provide us with a link.

Doosan

Once you have replaced the pollen filter if the smell persists its probably due to mould in the AC and vent system.

I have not had this problem with the RAV4, but our VW Golf picked up a stink like a pair of old trainers.

The solution I found was a can of this from Eurocarparts

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-cleaning-accessories/car-interior-cleaners/air-con-cleaner/?NOR2897300&0&cc5_101

Excellent, highly recommend it. The can comes with a 6 inch built in straw so that you spay it up/down all the vents.

I also removed the pollen filter on our Golf and sprayed in the direction of the AC evaporator (cooling radiator behind dash)

Can would probably do two cars.

Bought a new filter ( 130SEK = £13! ) and fitted in 2 minutes...Jaysus....if this is what owning a Rav4 is all about, then am In! hahaha Having owned an done work on my Opel Zafira...I feel like I have died and gone to heaven! haha so easy and cleverly designed compared to the awkward and often over engineered vauxhall/opel!....for fun I like to drive myself mental changing a headlamo bulb! haha

Let's wee how this goes....the filter was filthy, black and covered in leaves and seeds and God knows what else.....Jesus....that filter wasn't changed last service for sure.....just hope they changed the oil and filter!...

Many Thanks for your support and advice.

Much Obliged

Allan

Forte do a air spray that you can blast down the cabin air vents. Works really well and I bought mine off Fleabay for £0.99 including delivery. What a bargin :thumbsup:

so easy and cleverly designed compared to the awkward and often over engineered vauxhall/opel!

Overengineered :blink:

You jest surely?

Vauxhall and design are 2 words that don't normally go together :rolleyes:

Try changing the starter on a 3 cylinder.

Beats me how they can make a timing chain wear out in 20,000 miles too. I would expect a chain to do 150,000 minimum. :censor:

Anyway, if your smell doesn't go get some air-con sanitiser spray and follow the instructions on the can.

(get the sort with a squirty tube, NOT the "leave in the footwell" bomb type: they don't work.

Yesh....kind of!....Not Vauxhall's fault...GM's!...Fiat diesel engine, impossible to reach headlamp units...gotta drop the subframe to access the dueal mass flywheel which self destructs on the oil burners along with EGR valves, alternators starter motors and dissolving wiring looms....they are great when they are running properly but that's not often....just spent over £3,400 on mine getting it back to normal....and it's only 5 years old, 150k km's full Opel service history.....don't get me started on Zafiras please!....hence the Rav4 purchase! I remember they had problems gettin the wipers to work on the prototypes and had to ask Porsche to sort it out. Wish they had been given the rest of the gig!

Heres hopefully to easier d.i.y fixes on the Rav!

Cheers

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links