Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Problems 2009 Avensis

irishauris

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2009 Avensis Diesel with only 15,000KM on the clock. After i put up about 5000km i noticed the gears becoming harder to change (nearly need two hands to change), particularly from 1st to 2nd and going into second it will crunch a bit (nearly feel the teeth/cogs in the gear lever).

I brought it back to Mr.T who changed the gear oil, it didn't fix the problem.

Brought it back again and they changed the gear selector shaft and whatever cables and bit and bobs go with it. Still no good.

They said drive it for another week to see will the new parts wear in, they havent so back i went. They were going to e-mail toyota and see what they recommend to check next but im still waiting a week and a half later.

The problem is now spreading when going from 3rd to 2nd. Reverse is getting tight as well as changing from 5th to 6th.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2009 Avensis Diesel with only 15,000KM on the clock. After i put up about 5000km i noticed the gears becoming harder to change (nearly need two hands to change), particularly from 1st to 2nd and going into second it will crunch a bit (nearly feel the teeth/cogs in the gear lever).

I brought it back to Mr.T who changed the gear oil, it didn't fix the problem.

Brought it back again and they changed the gear selector shaft and whatever cables and bit and bobs go with it. Still no good.

They said drive it for another week to see will the new parts wear in, they havent so back i went. They were going to e-mail toyota and see what they recommend to check next but im still waiting a week and a half later.

The problem is now spreading when going from 3rd to 2nd. Reverse is getting tight as well as changing from 5th to 6th.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks

What grade of gearbox oil did they replace it with? I called 2 local dealers regarding the grade of oil for my 2007 T-180 estate and they both told me 75w-80 grade that was completely wrong! If the box on your car is the same as mine (And I'm not sure tbh) it has to be a straight 75 grade. I used Silkolen pro SRG (Double ester) racing box oil as it was almost imposible to select 1st gear when cold and 2nd gear always crunched.

I would be inclinded to think that the problems you are having is more than the oil grade issue with what you've listed. I'd contact Toyota customer services if after your next visit to the dealer the box is still the same to see if there is anymore help they can offer.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, i will check with them to make sure, although im nearly certain they will insist that they put in the correct oil even if they didnt.

Thanks

Ya, it seems perfect when the engine is off. Smooth through all the gears. Only when running does it seem to develop the problem. The garage want the car back in next week to have another look but they are still waiting on Toyota Ireland to come back to them with a fix.

Thanks

I wonder if it is the clutch/dual mass fly wheel or the hydraulic/pedal adjustment?

If the gears go in smoothly with the engine off, I would check the above first. I wonder if the input shaft is damaged?

Just another idea.

Let us know.

Good luck.

Konrad

Ya, it seems perfect when the engine is off. Smooth through all the gears. Only when running does it seem to develop the problem. The garage want the car back in next week to have another look but they are still waiting on Toyota Ireland to come back to them with a fix.

Thanks

Then gear box is fine,

Your problem lies in the hydralics, pressure plate or clutch slack/drag

• 3 weeks later...

The Garage had the car for the past 2 weeks, first they were waiting for some parts to come in and then they were waiting on some head of toyota technical to advise them. In the end they changed the gear oil again but this time they are meant to have put in LV-75 oil which is not as viscous.

Only have the car back since yesterday and it seems better, but we'll see!!!

Thanks

The Garage had the car for the past 2 weeks, first they were waiting for some parts to come in and then they were waiting on some head of toyota technical to advise them. In the end they changed the gear oil again but this time they are meant to have put in LV-75 oil which is not as viscous.

Only have the car back since yesterday and it seems better, but we'll see!!!

Thanks

So the straight 75w graded as I suggested! :yes:

Ya, its looking like you were right, Its a different dealer for me anymore. Thanks Mistermena

Ya, its looking like you were right, Its a different dealer for me anymore. Thanks Mistermena

Nice one mate. Glad its all sorted :thumbsup:

• 9 years later...

Iv had my avensis 3 mths  and 2nd gear like yours  sometimes  feels like I’m trying to put it into 2nd gear without using the clutch other times it’s notchy  it’s only 4 yrs old. 2017 plate  still under warranty Iv taken it back twice to my local Toyota dealer they said    We have  adjusted the gear cables. But each time Iv drove away. I feel they have done sweet f hall  I’m a paramedic and this was my retirement gift to myself.  Why does no one ever want to help  go that one step more. To make things right 

it’s what I do when dealing with every patient    My next  is to complain 

16 hours ago, medic999 said:

Iv had my avensis 3 mths  and 2nd gear like yours  sometimes  feels like I’m trying to put it into 2nd gear without using the clutch other times it’s notchy  it’s only 4 yrs old. 2017 plate  still under warranty Iv taken it back twice to my local Toyota dealer they said    We have  adjusted the gear cables. But each time Iv drove away. I feel they have done sweet f hall  I’m a paramedic and this was my retirement gift to myself.  Why does no one ever want to help  go that one step more. To make things right 

it’s what I do when dealing with every patient    My next  is to complain 

Considering the previous post before yours was 2011 and you have not hade the car long, what engine is in your car? The original OP had a Toyota AD engine that was fazed out 2015. If you have diesel, then it will be BMW. If it is the Valvematic like mine, you must have a faulty 'box, or may be your style! Has anyone else driven your car, like a mechanic and replicated your problem? I had to adapt my style to one one my previous cars, and had no problem since. My current car is a 2009 '58 plate 1.8 Valvematic, with the clutch replaced 2017. To make sure it's not the syncro of that particular gear, try selecting from other gears, say down changing from 4th. If it doesn't baulk or crunch, then the internal selector is not working properly, the indent to select the correct gear 3rd, not 1st or 5th.
If you bought the car from a dealer, check what your rights are, and if you can reject the car!      

17 hours ago, medic999 said:

2017 plate  still under warranty

Profile amended to show correct year of vehicle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links