Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stobarts Axe 800 Jobs......

CharlieFarlie

Stobarts axe 800 jobs......

I heard this last week but did not want to believe it !!! But one of My closest Friends confirmed this today as He is one of the 500 drivers and operational staff to go in the Midlands alone.... The other approximate 300 around the rest of the UK.....

Very sad indeed and terrible news at this time of the Year....

Where will all this crap end ????.................

Wee Charlie.

• Like 1

It is widespread - affecting so many people - not helped in some cases by others' greed.

David

Interesting that one Charlie, Stobarts are THE main logistics company for Tesco, infact I would think that 60% of their business is centred around Tesco. Would one assume from this that UK,s love affair with everything Tesco is finally beginning to wane?

Regards Clare

Interesting that one Charlie, Stobarts are THE main logistics company for Tesco, infact I would think that 60% of their business is centred around Tesco. Would one assume from this that UK,s love affair with everything Tesco is finally beginning to wane?

Regards Clare

I've no idea Clare ! 500 of the 800 jobs going is in the Midlands ... I used to pass Stobarts main distribution centre at Northampton and it was absolutely huge !! Tesco trailers were parked in huge lines .. So perhaps You are right....

The rumour is that Stobart are to concentrate more on the rail and air sectors as the road sector is just to hard to keep profitable with current fuel costs ............

• Like 1

Stobarts pull for all number of companies. They pull for most of the supermarkets, not exclusively Tescos. I believe the trouble with Stobies is too big too quick. They slashed rates to get work and it's coming home to roost.

On another note....l the Guvmint need to take serious look at lowering fuel costs. This is the main reason shop prices are rising. 3p a litre adds £1500 to the yearly operating cost of a Tractor Unit. When most Trucks are averaging 8/9MPG it's easy to see why. I drive on my days off from my normal job. I was out all last week and put nearly a £800 in the tanks over that week.

I did here that Tescos have made a loss for the 1st time ever.

No Mate.. They made slightly less than the previous quarter... They simply cannot make a loss !! If They even came close they would simply increase prices..

My Wife used to be a Manager/Buyer for Tesco... They make absolutely HUGE profits year in year out !!

Pre-tax profit for the 26 weeks to 27 August was £1.9bn, up 12.1% on a year earlier. Group sales rose 8.8% to £35.5bn, but like-for-like UK sales excluding VAT and petrol fell 0.5%.

The company highlighted "excellent growth" in Europe and Asia but also "subdued demand" in the UK.

Rival Sainsbury's reported slightly better like-for-like sales.

Excluding petrol but not VAT, Sainsbury's sales rose by 1.9% for the first six months of the financial year. The equivalent figure at Tesco was a rise of 0.5%.

Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King said: "We have delivered a good sales performance in a tough consumer environment."

Despite Sainsbury's stronger sales, analysts said Tesco was in a better position to outperform long term.

Wee Charlie.

• Like 1

Mate, the company that I work for (not going to say who due to potential backlash) are in the process of shedding over 400 jobs in 1 location and will get rid of another 200 from the same location in the first few months of next year.

Not a good time for many businesses and not knowing what is coming next doesn't help either crybaby.gif

Has someone been googling? :unsure:

Guilty as charged Mlud ........................... :unsure: :unsure:

Wee Charlie.

• Like 1

The loss of jobs is never good to hear. I heard a while ago that Stobarts were part owned by Tesco, Tesco built a new RDC at Widness on Stobarts land and if you have ever been to a Tesco RDC you'll notice that the majority of drivers in the waiting rooms are stobarts so maybe it's true, who knows.

For years large haulage companies have been cutting the rates and using their warehousing to foot the bill for the losses, smaller but respectable companies like Pawsons of Rotherham, Kent Connection and the like have went bust, although allot of this was due to fuel increases but the main cause was the crap rates hauliers get these days. I'm a Driver and for years now haven't had a pay rise :crybaby: I just find myself in a situation where I'm just glad to have a job well for now at least.

Sorry for my rant, I did try not to but in the end I just couldn't not...

Charlie I hope your friend isn't out of work long, good luck to him.

Dave

The loss of jobs is never good to hear. I heard a while ago that Stobarts were part owned by Tesco, Tesco built a new RDC at Widness on Stobarts land and if you have ever been to a Tesco RDC you'll notice that the majority of drivers in the waiting rooms are stobarts so maybe it's true, who knows.

For years large haulage companies have been cutting the rates and using their warehousing to foot the bill for the losses, smaller but respectable companies like Pawsons of Rotherham, Kent Connection and the like have went bust, although allot of this was due to fuel increases but the main cause was the crap rates hauliers get these days. I'm a Driver and for years now haven't had a pay rise :crybaby: I just find myself in a situation where I'm just glad to have a job well for now at least.

Dave

Great and very sensible words Dave !!!! I to hope Mark gets a job very soon !! He is a salt of the earth type of bloke And Im very lucky to have him as a very good friend !!

Thanks !!!!

Wee Charlie.

• Like 1

Stobarts axe 800 jobs......

I heard this last week but did not want to believe it !!! But one of My closest Friends confirmed this today as He is one of the 500 drivers and operational staff to go in the Midlands alone.... The other approximate 300 around the rest of the UK.....

Very sad indeed and terrible news at this time of the Year....

Where will all this crap end ????.................

Wee Charlie.

Yep sad stuff.20%vat +fuel duty at an extreme is recipe for financial doom..

Dave

Great and very sensible words Dave !!!! I to hope Mark gets a job very soon !! He is a salt of the earth type of bloke And Im very lucky to have him as a very good friend !!

Thanks !!!!

Wee Charlie.

offer him a job shunting you up and down the M6 ????

They claim VAT back. :lol:

Yes of course they get tax relief on fuel and are able to claim the VAT back... But the cost is still to much to bear ......

In a way its almost to simple. If the powers that be continue as they are then Company's will continue to fold or shed staff....

Hardly rocket science ?? The Haulage industry have warned time and time again that They will be unable to trade with fuel at its current rate........

Now its happening.. Several sizeable company's have just given up and closed.. The problem is is that once closed seldom do the Company's try again...

My thought are with the Drivers and their Family's that have lost their jobs !!

The Government stated when cutting benefits early Year that there would be many many new private sector jobs.... EErrrrrrr Where ??

I work for a large Corporate Plumbers merchants,owned by Saint Gobain Building Distribution,they also own Jewson & a lot more in Europe.

They laid off 20 of our previous 40 staff in 2009,and we are getting quieter & quieter,...i just dare'nt spend anything at the moment,have to hope the Rav4 lasts for several more years.

I work for a large Corporate Plumbers merchants,owned by Saint Gobain Building Distribution,they also own Jewson & a lot more in Europe.

They laid off 20 of our previous 40 staff in 2009,and we are getting quieter & quieter,...i just dare'nt spend anything at the moment,have to hope the Rav4 lasts for several more years.

Fingers crossed for You Mate....

I still have a financial interest in the Company I used to run /own up until two and a half Years ago... Said Company now employs slightly less than half of the staff than when I stepped down ........ Not Nice !! Glad I hung up My hat when I did....

If I'm honest I could see the writing on the wall as to where things were heading.. I hoped I was wrong in fact I prayed I was wrong but alas its slightly worse now than I had thought..

Company's of all kinds and types have hung on for a long time now.. Once again January is just around the corner and that is when Many will not be able to meet the usual Tax liabilities.. The last two Januaries have been cruel. This Year will be the worst of the lot !!

Wee Charlie.

An industry that has east europeans willing to work for £30 a day and work away for up 12 weeks at a time is screwed. The rumours are getting deleted on the truck forums but they must have something behind them.

They claim VAT back. :lol:

Yep.but the point i was making is that vat is payable on sales invoices @20% you claim back 20% on purchase invoices only , thus you become an unpaid tax collector,giving an extra 2.5% of your turn over to the gov,which puts more burden on cash flow etc etc,

Running a small business this issue is becoming a pain for me, for a large companies,it must be nightmare.

As for extra fuel duty....

Its unfortunate the way things are going in transport, its getting harder and harder to keep a lorry on the road.

VOSA are a laugh - :rolleyes: penalising you for silly things like being 15 minutes over your time a couple of days ago because you couldn't stop in Calais due to the risk of illegals getting on your trailor.

Its unfortunate to see the guys all losing their jobs - when stobarts are letting 800 people go - you know the trucking business is

well f :censor:ked. The most high profile haulier in the game - how the :censor: are small hauliers managing.

Hopefully the drivers affected can find new jobs - a tough christmas it will be for all of them

Red diesel

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links