Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Boy

Tone67

Hi everyone,

New boy here, first time to this site and an interesting read it all is. I've been reading the bits from the past years about the flywheel and clutch on the RAV4. I have the XT4 D4D (2004), had it for about 18 months from a local dealer (not Toyota) and now the gearbox/clutch and engine aren't sounding too clever. Took it to the local garage who tells us it's the clutch and not cheap to sort out. Having read the various threads, this seems to be a known issue with the clutch and flywheel (I'm assuming my garage is correct, they're an honest place) so I was wondering if there have been any developments on Toyota's response to the known problems? I'm passed the year warranty from the time I bought the car, so is there anything I can do other than cough up big time for the repair? Love the car, by the way, as does my wife who uses it everyday. I don't have a big bag of money so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thank very much

Tone67

Welcome to TOC, someone will be along to help in due course... Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks Paulinho, I appreciate being introduced. Nice to be here, I hope someone can give me a bit more info on my RAV4. Bit of an update for you. I went to the dealer i bought it from, all changed hands from when I bought it but they are going to have a look at it tomorrow to confirm whether it's the clutch and flywheel. He said it sounded very likely. Also mentioned that a few years ago Toyota extended the warranty to 5 years/60k, but as mine is now over 2 years after that it looks as if I'm too late. But if there's a known problem shouldn't it be honoured regardless of the time scale or am I just being naive? Anyway, I'll see how I get on tomorrow and let you know. Helpful at the dealership, though. Cheers.

Thanks jan & Tone. My apologies if I haven't replied correctly to your message, still trying figure out this post and reply business!

Bit of an update today for me, I went to the dealer i bought it from, all changed hands from when I bought it but they are going to have a look at it tomorrow to confirm whether it's the clutch and flywheel. He said it sounded very likely. Also mentioned that a few years ago Toyota extended the warranty to 5 years/60k, but as mine is now over 2 years after that it looks as if I'm too late. But if there's a known problem shouldn't it be honoured regardless of the time scale or am I just being naive? Anyway, I'll see how I get on tomorrow and let you know. Helpful at the dealership, though. Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links