Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems With Celicas?

robbie black

I have an 02 reg MX-5 which I am thinking of trading in for a Celica.

The car has had a replacement clutch, and the judder is returning.

It has had a set of new alloys, and they are starting to blister.

Are there any persistent and common problems with the latest model Celicas?

Also, does the T-Sport have to run on superunleaded/optimax/ultima?

Looking at prices, I have seen a 52reg T-Sport with 10k miles for £16000 and a delivery mileage 53reg base model for £15500.

Which would you buy?

I think the standard alloys on the new Celica has bubbling problems too - haven't heard too much about it though considering how many are out there, and that the same style alloys are used for the MR2 roadster. My rev MR2 has this style of alloys too and I had to get the dealer to refurbish them due to bubbling.

Apart from that I'm not aware of many problems, although when I had mine I had to get the hatch/tailgate fixed as it kept falling down (on my head!!) - the mechanic told me that that's fairly common.

When I was faced with the choice of the 140bhp VVTi or the 189bhp VVTLi - I went for the 140bhp version. For 2 reasons, firstly all the power of the VVTLi is abvoe 6,200rpm and I didn't fancy driving like that. Secondly, fuel economy, nearly 37mpg for the VVTi and around 34mpg for the VVTLi.

Don't get a base Celica - it will have no spoiler.

Good to hear your looking at a tsport, you wont regret it, it is a real head turner from young and old, male and female. I use normal unleaded all the time and sometimes treat myself to optimax now and then (still havent noticed a difference performance wise between the two).

No faults at all as yet, although the windscreen tends to steam up rather quickly, my mate noticed that as well with his old tsport, but you soon figure out how to combat it. This is my 1st toyota and asking around other owners they have nothing bad to say about reliability problems with theirs, so go on take the plunge get a tsport, make sure the cars got a spoiler! it should be standard.

2nd and 3rd gear are just poetry and the sound is incredible, its so hard not to go over 6000rpm every time a hot hatch comes near you.

Enjoy!