24 replies to this topic

#1 cruiser007

cruiser007

• Registered Member
  • 15 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 06-Onwards

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hi,

Do any Yaris (MK2) owners know of any good windscreen wipers that are not noisy or leave streaks or smears? I purchased Bosch Super Plus+ blades last year and have found them to be rubbish, even when they were one month old!

I want to purchase something better this year, perhaps the flat blades that are said to fit the curve of the windscreen better than the standard type.

Cheers folks :thumbsup:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Yaris/03

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

The Toyota ones are okay and are pretty cheap.

A few people were gushing about the PIA silicon wipers a while back; They're a lot more expensive but supposedly last a lot longer and clear water and stuff a lot better than standard rubber ones...

#3 paul64

paul64

• Registered Member
  • 14 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris TS

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

I got some of the flat blade type off ebay on both my cars cost about 7.00, been on over a year now and still working fine.
Even if you get a set a year it wont break the bank

#4 alfiejts

alfiejts

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • First Name:Graham
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.3 SR Nav (was 2000 1.0 CDX)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Yep - PIAA silicone wipers.

They are the bees knees. Yes they are expensive - and anyone who hasn't tried them doesn't understand the benefit they bring - but once you've bought them you'll never entertain anything else.

Firstly, they do last for years - ours have been fitted to both our 3 year old Yarii from new and they're still as good as new.

But the real benefit is that they put a film onto the screen so that water beads off. In really bad rain, you can just see right through. So much clearer and safer.

Others debate how cheap wipers are and how some squeak and some judder - but no other brand clears the rain like the PIAA impregnated siicone rubber blades do...
PIAA don't actually make wipers to fit my A3, so I've bought "rubber refills" for the PIAA wipers and made them fit into my A3 aerofoil wiper blades because of the benefit they bring...

My son (who has never known anything else) though the wipers on a hire car we were in were broken because he couldn't believe how bad the visibility was with standard wipers....

On christmas eve the other year, the wipers in my A3 broke. Because of the beading, I drove 80 miles down the M6 in driving rain at nortmal motorway speeds without any wipers at all and I could see as clearly as if it wasn't raining. My only troubles started when I arrived at the end of the M55 near Blackpool and my speed dropped down to 30mph - and the speed wasn't quite fast enough to clear the rain off the screen without any wipers working at all....

Get PIAA and you'll never look back....

#5 Lorna2

Lorna2

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • First Name:Lorna
  • Gender*:Female
  • Toyota Model: Yaris TR
  • Year: 2012

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

I only ever get the Toyota wipers, as I'm happy enough with them. The last long, don't leave streaks, aren't noisy and they're cheap. Years ago my parents got aftermarket wipers from a car parts shop, they scored into the glass. The lesson was learnt.

#6 acetip

acetip

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  • First Name:peter
  • Toyota Model: auris t spirit 1.6 vvti duel.
  • Year: 2007

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

I only ever get the Toyota wipers, as I'm happy enough with them. The last long, don't leave streaks, aren't noisy and they're cheap. Years ago my parents got aftermarket wipers from a car parts shop, they scored into the glass. The lesson was learnt.

Glass is harder than rubber or sythetic.suggest the blades could have not been fitted properly.

#7 cruiser007

cruiser007

• Registered Member
  • 15 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 06-Onwards

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for your help and advice folks, those silicone wipers sound interesting, i've always wondered why most manufactures keep using rubber when silicone is better. Although if silicone leaves a film on the screen does it affect the clarity of the screen at night - i.e look blurry or smeary when viewing oncoming headlights?

:thumbsup:

#8 alfiejts

alfiejts

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • First Name:Graham
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.3 SR Nav (was 2000 1.0 CDX)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

I use Rain-X or similar on the side windows and that makes a real difference, but if you use any of the liquid treatments on the windscreen then yes you do get slight smearing but not with the PIAA wipers....

#9 Chris81

Chris81

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris T-Sport

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

Glass is harder than rubber or sythetic.suggest the blades could have not been fitted properly.

It may be harder but it scratches very easily. Maybe these cheaper wipers attracted grit which then scored the screen.

#10 Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

Enter the Yaris

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm with alfiejts on this one!

I've bought my PIAA blades a couple of years ago and they are AMAZING! They cost me about 60 at the time for front and rear but over the course of two years they have saved me time, money and filled me with confidence.

I've bought Bosch ones previously which not only cost a packet but didn't last long at all either!

These PIAA ones, cor' blimey Guv! I can happily overtake lorries on the motorway in the wet and the spray from their wheels doesn't bother me one bit now as it just beads off. In fact, at high speeds, I often don't use them at all because I don't need to!

The cost of them is pricy which is why a lot of people don't buy them and why big manufacturers don't stump up for them (don't forget that rubber ones makes the manufacturer more money in the long run too! Same argument applies to chain and rubber cam belts) but if you get some you'll never look back.

In fact, I'll bet you a fiver you'll be damned pleased you did.

Mine doesn't smear, make any noise and when I do use them they clean the screen beautifully!

My only word of advice would be not to use them when there is ice or snow on your windshield as it'll shread them and that'll be an expensive mistake so always use your ice scraper!

Hope I've helped.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users