Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt Box - My Toyota Is Crap

sceh

After 40k miles my Yaris MMT box needs a new clutch. 2000 pounds for the part alone plus over 1000 to fit and it will fail again because the design is basically crap.

If anyone else has had a similar problem on an MMT box, please mail me because I intend to start legal action since this product is not fit for purpose under European consumer law. Just describe the problem and car - names not to be used of course.

thanks

Hi Stuart,

I've owned two MMT boxes, one on a Verso T spirit which basically ruined the car, and the other on an Aygo which wasn't too bad.

Verso cost me £1300 in software downloads, clutch and a new actuator which was part covered by a warranty from a second hand dealer. Once fixed, I moved it on within a year and then did the same with the Aygo.

Take a look in the Verso forum under MMT gearbox, you'll find stacks of info in there from owners facing the same issues as you.

Good luck.

em the clutch doesnt cost £2k??? hell labour for fitting the clutch isnt £1k either you only get 4 hours for a clutch change and the clutch is approx £260

who diagnosed your car and what are the faults...

It seems that the clutch and the entire actuator mechanism is a single part, hence the cost. And if you read the manual to change this it involves removing drive shafts and gear box, hence the labour

It seems that the clutch and the entire actuator mechanism is a single part, hence the cost. And if you read the manual to change this it involves removing drive shafts and gear box, hence the labour

[/quote No offence intended but .............. If you read the forum a bit more you would know that ORMI is actually a Toyota Tech who knows what he is on about!

I should have said 'if I read the manual'. I asked if I could change just the clutch but the garage said no - it had to be some huge thing costing 2 grand.

Even though the car is in mint condition, I intend to get it crushed rather than pay nearly its market value in repairs.

as said by tspirit pete ive done more than read the manual.....ive done plenty of clutches.....and as said you only get 4 hours for this job ie the whole job from start to finish and trust me the clutch can be changed on its own....

Thanks - I trust you obviously. My garage is in France and the guy was adamant that it was all one unit and even gave me a document with the part I need and the price - I'll send the reference. I have done a few clutches years ago so I thought I could eventually do it until I saw the spares cost would be more than the car value almost! Mind you, this same guy gave me a song and dance about some special tool to get it out and I told him I could buy it from Toyota and he said I couldn't - sounds like bs to me

nope no special tools req for this....all you need is hand tools and the toyota tester to reset clutch count and clutch position..

so does every job on a Toyota have a standard time which is meant to cover the labour hours? You mentioned 4 hours for a clutch. Just suppose the other bits (actuators/control box?) had to be done too, what is the time for them? Does Toyota enforce these times? The Toyota garage here is basically quoting 15 hours. Is it possible to do a diagnostic of the entire clutch mechanism in one hour or does it need to be dismantled? And lastly, is 40k miles reasonable for a clutch? In my view, no but I could be way off.

thanks

toyota have book times for every job on a car from stripping an engine to replacing a bulb.....heres a shock for you the book time for swapping an rav 4 engine is 13 hours......

the actuators etc are part of the removal process so no extra time is given....

have you tryed getting them to reprogram the clutch count,clutch position and reset the gear selector?you might not need a clutch mate...but it does sound like you need to find an other toyota garage

I had a call from their head office offering to investigate the garage quote and saying they would make a commercial gesture...

I did mention that if their garages over-quote by a factor of 4 then they are either incompetent or dishonest and that in any event it is pretty hard to knacker an auto-box ever, never mind after 40k so it is probably a rogue part. It could also be a false diagnosis. Either way, I will get satisfaction or demand Mr Toyoda commits hari-kiri

I had a call from their head office offering to investigate the garage quote and saying they would make a commercial gesture...

I did mention that if their garages over-quote by a factor of 4 then they are either incompetent or dishonest and that in any event it is pretty hard to knacker an auto-box ever, never mind after 40k so it is probably a rogue part. It could also be a false diagnosis. Either way, I will get satisfaction or demand Mr Toyoda commits hari-kiri

Ormi does know a thing or 2 about Mr T's car being Toyota tech. Vote with your feet and take the car to another dealer. They are ripping you off! You could buy another good car for the price they are quoting for! Hate dealers that take the :censor: out of people.

Hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

Customer Relations?

So after profuse apologies, they now want to see all the TOYOTA service history - so if I changed the oil myself and filters and stuff, it doesn't count! Can someone point me to the actual Toyota service items in the first 40k miles? It seems to me that there would be few or none related to the mmt box.

So after profuse apologies, they now want to see all the TOYOTA service history - so if I changed the oil myself and filters and stuff, it doesn't count! Can someone point me to the actual Toyota service items in the first 40k miles? It seems to me that there would be few or none related to the mmt box.

It's not about the content of the services, when we look at goodwill contributions its about the loyalty to a particular centre.