Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trade In

4raver

Hi guys and galls....back again...had my Avensis Tourer for two years plus now and today I traded it in for a new Yaris TR diesel. we already have a 1.3 TR Yaris on an 08 at the moment as well so we will be a two yaris family...so I guess this is a migration to the Yaris side of the forum...I hope you will welcome me just as the Rav4 and the Avensis guys did. I will also want some info from you for tuning the TR 1.3 for a bit more power, is it doable...and what are the bolt on prices for a boot spoiler.

Welcome!

I'm sure you will be made to feel very welcome by the vast majority on this forum.

A rear roof spoiler can be had for about £50 or so, eBay is a good source but don't rule out Mr T as sometimes they can be as cheap if not cheaper.

Re: tuning the 1.3 Yaris for more power, I'm no expert but personally I don't think you can gain much more bhp when you consider the added expense. I often think that if you need a car with more power then choose one that has, but that is just my opinion.

Welcome,

I agree with Stan. There's no easy "cost effective" quick win to more power with the 1.3. Settle for what you have and enjoy it...

There are induction kits that might release a handful of horsepower (they claim) but they're not cheap.

There's also a supercharger available (or there was at one time and you might just find one still for sale) but again, you're talking over £1000 for that, so unless you're really dedicated and have money to burn and you want to do it just for the fun of it, ssave your cash and put the extra money to something with more power next time...

Its good to see another two-Tarii household on the forum. We're a friendly bunch here - quite unlike an Audi forum I frequent where everyone wants to fit blue headlights bulbs even though they're dimmer than ordinary bulbs just cos they look cool and there are many people there who are quick to make statements as fact even if they're wrong.

I much prefer being here having sensible conversations....

We're about to go down to a single Yaris next week I think (more of that if it happens later) so you may well be taking over leading the two-Yaris "club" on the forum... :-)

Welcome,

I agree with Stan. There's no easy "cost effective" quick win to more power with the 1.3. Settle for what you have and enjoy it...

There are induction kits that might release a handful of horsepower (they claim) but they're not cheap.

There's also a supercharger available (or there was at one time and you might just find one still for sale) but again, you're talking over £1000 for that, so unless you're really dedicated and have money to burn and you want to do it just for the fun of it, ssave your cash and put the extra money to something with more power next time...

Its good to see another two-Tarii household on the forum. We're a friendly bunch here - quite unlike an Audi forum I frequent where everyone wants to fit blue headlights bulbs even though they're dimmer than ordinary bulbs just cos they look cool and there are many people there who are quick to make statements as fact even if they're wrong.

I much prefer being here having sensible conversations....

We're about to go down to a single Yaris next week I think (more of that if it happens later) so you may well be taking over leading the two-Yaris "club" on the forum... :-)

Thanks for that....one last thing is it possible to retrofit the six speed transmission to the 1.3 tr as I guess it was just a tranny change and not a rework of the whole engine.

Would you want to? Feedback I've read from people with the 1.33L Yaris (Which has the 6-speed) say it feels less powerful because the gearing is all wrong...

There are some small things you may be able to do, e.g. spoiler, more free-flowing air filter, thinner oil; But they probably won't give noticeable improvements tbh (And there are downsides; Spoiler=Higher Insurance, Air-filter=More dust and crap getting into the engine, Oil=Engine wear)

Another reason why I like the Yaris D4D more :D

And the answer's no anyway. The 6 speed box is fitted to the completely new 1.33 engine, complete with stop-start system built into the starter motor / alternator assembly - so its not going to be interchangeeable with the 1.3 engine's bellhousing which has been around since 2000....

(well that's my opinion purely be based on conjecture but no real facts or genuine knowledge. just shows I've spent too much time on the Audi forum.....)

Would you want to? Feedback I've read from people with the 1.33L Yaris (Which has the 6-speed) say it feels less powerful because the gearing is all wrong...

There are some small things you may be able to do, e.g. spoiler, more free-flowing air filter, thinner oil; But they probably won't give noticeable improvements tbh (And there are downsides; Spoiler=Higher Insurance, Air-filter=More dust and crap getting into the engine, Oil=Engine wear)

Another reason why I like the Yaris D4D more :D

I drove the new 1.33 VVT today in SR form and it was very slow by comparison...I am inheriting this car and losing my 2.2 Diesel Tourer as my wife does the mileage and will be getting the 1.4 Diesel yaris TR ...I only do 45 miles a week so I don't need a big car anymore.

I have a very big tuning company near me and they can get me another 15bhp for £300 without losing any MPG to speak of...re mapping the computer and fitting a better filter...so maybe I will go down this route....dropping form the torquey 2.2 Diesel to a 1.3 petrol is a bit of a shock and the car feels snail like in standard trim....plus there is not much space in the boot for my guns....ah well only time will tell....maybe my wife will not like the new car and I can have it instead...thanks for your input.

Yeah, that is the problem of going from a diesel to a petrol; They feel so gutless by comparison and it feels wrong having to rev the nuts off the engine just to make it move :lol:

(Just remember it's a japanese engine so it's designed to be revved :lol:)

Does your insurance know what you are doing?

Not done it yet and might not...the last tuning I did was to the Rav4 and they front loaded my insurance by £50.00 so any extra cost will be covered by the saving I am about to make by going from a 2.2 to a 1.3. I only do 35 miles a week so what the hell if I have to do it a little slower that's fine....I will soon get used to having a petrol car....my previous 1.0 Blue was such a nippy car it seemed so much quicker than the 1.3. Maybe I have been spoiled this last two years.