Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drl's

DFish

OK so I thought I'd start a thread about DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) and see who's got what.

I'm looking at two options.

Lyra Dual function Clicky to them

or

Philips DRL LED Daylight 8 which run bright when no lights are on, but as soon as the lights are on they dim down. Clicky to them

Fish

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonyishuk

• tarquin

• sweet-dentist

• DFish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would go for Philips...

Cause ... Yes ... I live in Philips Country ... Good quality ... (but maybe I am under the influence of commercial fine-tuning) ... :blink:

Ànd ... I would go for the DRL 4... these are bright enough... I actually thought they were tóó bright when I ignited them for the first time...

Ànd ... I think the Dutch Law does not agree with the dimmable ones in the night.. as extra lights...

Ãnd ... Still you have to put your lights on in: foggy daytime / during twilight / in an aria that is darker.. for instances in a forest / you still have NO backlights ... if you drive slow and someone catches up with you ... / during a busy traffic rush-hour ...

So I use them when it is bright and a high LUX in the atmosphere ...

You saw my pics on the other thread... :)

Peter

Here:

th_DSC00020-1.jpg

th_DSC00289.jpg

Exploded view....

philips_drl_test_1.jpg

Very nice. A lot of money. I take it then you are looking to fit them in the lower grill area. The lights wiring loom can be a bugger to get into with all its covering. So to comply they are on all the time but dimmed when you normally have your side lights on and the sidelight bulbs are replaced with a load resistor. to satisfy the CAM BUS Ok

David

So do I take it that with the smaller units you dont need to replace anything with load resistors?

Fish

Toyota (Germany) has "official" lights!post-78587-0-17334800-1322510232_thumb.j

Yes LA-LA, that is true... but they are offered without mounting...

And it's very hard work to get something square shaped, on a rounded surface, behind the plastic front, in front of the plastic wheelcovering, into a "cut out" place...

The lights cost:

Tagfahrlicht für Toyota iQ, Verso-S, Auris und RAV4

Hochwertiges Design und zusätzliche Sicherheit zum Nachrüsten

Die Tagfahrlicht-Sets enthalten jeweils zwei LED-Tagfahrleuchten mit Einbaurahmen, Steuergerät und Verkabelung.

Die Preise für iQ und Verso-S liegen bei 279,00 €, für den Auris bei 299,00 € und für den RAV4 bei 329,00 €

zzgl. Einbaukosten.

So this is without the mounting on the car!!!!

AND:

The U K legal req state, DRL should be fitted so their outer edges are no more than 400mm from theouter edge of th vehicle, height above the ground must be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm ,ECE reg 48 ,& mounted symmetrically in pairs & the same hight from the road & same distance from the sides of the vehicle,the lamps must be positioned to ensure the light emitted does not dazzle other road users.

"ensure the light emitted does not dazzle other road users."

That must have been lost in translated at the Mercedes design department.

I am actually becoming pleased that many drivers now have DRL's in Scotland,

because this last weekend in poor visability, its the only lights many plonkers appear to display.

Does not help that there are none displayed to the rear though once they have passed you after a bit of tailgating.

I wonder the more i see with only DRL's lit, if many of them just think their dipped beams will switch on automatically (like their wipers) when it rains or gets foggy, or if their autolights are just not working.

george

So do I take it that with the smaller units you dont need to replace anything with load resistors?

Fish

I was of the understanding that when the sidelights and or main lights come on then the DRL's have to go off. My circuitry is such that this happens. So because the dimming of the DRL's in your video link take the place of sidelights ,then the sidelights are no longer required and the load resistors fitted instead of the bulbs is just to keep the CAN BUS happy on certain cars.

David

My DRL are triggered by one wire that is connected with the "left" little "city" light.

So if this little light comes on (power on it's wire), the switch is triggered to stop the power to the DRL...

Further: Here in Holland.. at least what I see ... loads of people do not put any lights on ever... only when it is "dark" ...

They drive on the road completely in the dark.. maybe they started during light-time and it went dark... now in the wintertime it seems this goes faster...

So having DRL... at least they then have these lights on... compared to nothing at all...

That's an improvement...

Prsonally I don't like DRLs.

I think a better way would to have made all side lights permanently on like Volvo used to be (maybe still are?).

As Goerge say too many people don't bother switching light on. And I bet a lot of plonkers will think "DRLs are on and look good, why bother switching side/dipped beam on?"

Prsonally I don't like DRLs.

I think a better way would to have made all side lights permanently on like Volvo used to be (maybe still are?).

As Goerge say too many people don't bother switching light on. And I bet a lot of plonkers will think "DRLs are on and look good, why bother switching side/dipped beam on?"

I agree - the current crop of drl's are too bright by half!

Much better to use normal side lights permanently on with the ignition - at least you get the rear lights as well then!

Driving with only the small side lights on (you mean the city-lights?? So NOT the dimmed-beam light...

Well... here in Holland it is NOT allowed to drive you car with only those lights on.. only allowed if stationary...

Yep... strangely and sad .... but true...

I have my lights set on the auto-on setting, but they never start with the dim setting they just go straight to dipped! Even when its still fairly light out and no one else has their lights on.

Fish

I have my lights set on the auto-on setting, but they never start with the dim setting they just go straight to dipped! Even when its still fairly light out and no one else has their lights on.

Fish

In the front of you / if you are sitting behind the steering wheel... just low of the front-window is some sort of round knob... well thats the light-sensor.... If it is blocked in any way it "thinks" it is dark already and the lights turn on...

Peter

• 6 months later...

Just wondering if there a re any updates on fitting kits that can be used on the IQ(3)?

I am looking for some thing cheapish (think Halfords) easyish to fit and will work with bi-halogen headlights. (Or mail order kits,)

Anyone think that Mr T would make it a warrenty problem, if DRLs are fitted ?

"Puncture and Rattling sound at the back is caused by the canbus system, should not have fitted DRLs, SIR" :bash:

Thanks

Hi there

I have fitted at least 3 of the Ring BLR 0395 DRL' from Halfords into the upper outer most grill where they fit perfect. Also fit the associated automatic switch which can be found here from Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0045HYGZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1338845501&sr=8-1

A very easy install can give you instructions if required

There are pictures of mine on the revious page. And NO MrT have never refused any warranty work i have needed. Even though my car is heavily modded

David

Hi,

Many thanks for the info, I will take a look. If I need some advice I will get in contact.

Rgds

You can also use if you prefer, edge lit LED strips that Taz has used around his headlamp with the same automatic unit from Amazon The only problem is for best results, it is best to remove the bumper to get them up close to the headlamp You can cut them to length every 3 LED's

David

Thx again,

What do the Amazon kits offer that the Ring kit does not ?

I had a look at the Ring instructions on line, and they seemed to be fairly comprehensive. There was only one live connection to the Battery, so I assume there is some sort of voltage sensing so that the lights are not on all the time ? (Inc one to the side lights and an earth connection)

The Amazon details seemed to be rather lacking, a picture of a box and a loada wires, but no further information.

Rgds

I fitted these this weekend, dead easy with just 3 wires. The DRL's come and off with the ignition and also go off when the lights come on and come back on when the lightd go off. You can alter the wires so that the lights only go off with the ignition and not with the lights.

I fitted these this weekend, dead easy with just 3 wires. The DRL's switch on and off with the ignition and also go off when the lights come on and then switch back on when the lights are off. You can alter the wireing so that the lights only go on and off with the ignition and not with the lights.

Hi Tony the unit from Amazon consists of 2pair of wires with bullet connectors on which match up with the ones on the DRL's the other 3 wires are, Black to the chassis or direct to Neg of Battery, Red wire direct to the + on the Battery and orange wire to the green wire on the side lights. The unit has 3 chips and a power transistor and various components in it. On engine start the DRL's come on. When the side lights or main lights are put on or come on if on automatic, the DRL's go off. If the DRL's are on and you turn the engine off the DRL's stay on for a further 3 seconds. So yes the unit senses when the engine is running and when its not. So no need to worry about switching them on or off its automatic

David