Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.1 Purchase-Thoughts On This One Please?

gregoryg

Hello,

I don't know much about Ravs, so was hoping for some advice please.

I've seen this one My link

Took a look last week unfortunately it was dark so I need to take another look in daylight but the bodywork matched the ad description and everything seemed sound apart from the worn front discs (advisory on last mot).

A few things stopped me buying it on the spot:

There was a pool of oil sitting on the inlet manifold below the filler cap, I couldn't be sure if this was a spillage from topping up or the sign of a leak.

I was expecting a switch on the centre console for the LSD but it looked like it had been blanked off.

The gearbox was quite notchy( I find our 01 Avenisis is the same) are they all like that?

The Battery was knackered too.

Considering the need for new discs and Battery I reckon the £999 asking price is a bit much or is this about right?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Greg

Morning.

From the photos if they are actually recent, then it looks a nice neat car. No rust showing beside the wheel arch extenders which I would tend to expect. And the bullbar is intact - mine fell apart 3 years ago !!

Check the sills at the side and also feel the passenger and drivers front carpet for signs of wetness = screen leaking.

The front discs can be bought from the after market suppliers easily, altho I'd stick with the toyota pads.

On the forum there are many posts about the Battery. If the car has been standing for a fortnight, chances are it needs charged up.

I find it very off that the difflock has been masked over - it might be that the solenoid or wiring has a fault and they have just given up on fixing it, or that they didn't want to use it by mistake.

Gearbox notchy - well depends on what you're used to..... on my number 1 RAV the gear change is good. On number 2 RAV which has now on its 3rd gearbox, there is a bit of a notchy change going into 2nd, but I can live with that.

You can pick a gearbox up for around £300 secondhand and another £300 circa to fit it.... but generally these boxes are bomb proof.

The price - well I've seen 94 models going for £650 +. I'd maybe try getting them to fit a new Battery and a set of discs n poads for that price. You'll know how long the cars been standing from the amount of surface rust on the discs.

Take it for a run and check theres no knocks from the suspension.

Oil- maybe the rocker cover ? You don't want to get involved if its oil from the crankshaft seal tho...check underneath if you can.

I should have said that at that mileage, the suspension bushes may be needing done. A quick look thru the invoices will tell if they have been done.

From reading the forums, check it doesn't jump out of 5th on the overrun.

Remember, the frosty weather has put £250 on the price, it will be worth £750 in March.

Thanks for the replies bothwell buyer and mnl.

I forgot to mention I took it for a quick drive, no slipping out of any gear evident.No knocks from the suspension but the handling felt a bit loose.......... hard to tell if that was down to wear or whether the almera I'm used to driving is very low and steers quite precisely in comparison.

It certainly looked like the only place the oil could come from was the rear of the rocker cover or overspill.

I can change the discs no problem, how expensive/easy are the suspension bushes to do yourself?

Ideally I'd be hanging on till winter is over but the old Nissan's almost had it now the exhaust backbox has parted company.

While you aren't going to get perfection for sub £1000 you don't want to buy a lemon. I wouldn't buy unless I knew exactly where the oil was coming from and why the LSD had been blanked over. I'd expect a full reduction for the cost of new discs and Battery. I know what it is like when buying, but there are really lots of used RAVs out there. Buy in haste ....

I forgot to mention I took it for a quick drive, no slipping out of any gear evident.No knocks from the suspension but the handling felt a bit loose.......... hard to tell if that was down to wear or whether the almera I'm used to driving is very low and steers quite precisely in comparison.

It certainly looked like the only place the oil could come from was the rear of the rocker cover or overspill.

I can change the discs no problem, how expensive/easy are the suspension bushes to do yourself?

Ideally I'd be hanging on till winter is over but the old Nissan's almost had it now the exhaust backbox has parted company.

The bushes if worn will show by knocking noises and also will be flagged up as a fail on the MOT. No knocking.... then probably ok.

I'd guess the rocker cover or more probably spillage - nothing else up there ! At that low mileage if correct then the engines good. They should last 180k miles or more.

Handling - it sits higher so you will get a bit of sway. Check for soft shock absorbers or a broken front spring which was a recall on the 1995 RAVs. Even a broken rear spring.

The bushes if worn will show by knocking noises and also will be flagged up as a fail on the MOT. No knocking.... then probably ok.

I'd guess the rocker cover or more probably spillage - nothing else up there ! At that low mileage if correct then the engines good. They should last 180k miles or more.

Handling - it sits higher so you will get a bit of sway. Check for soft shock absorbers or a broken front spring which was a recall on the 1995 RAVs. Even a broken rear spring.

Respeck to The 4.1 Ravmeister as usual....brill help for novice on Ravs. Would also suggest that when doing the brake pads you look at after market ones from likes of Apec if available for this model. Now 2 Ravs here kitted therewith and proving to be spot on....recommended and partly fitted by Anchorman, whose knowledge of brakes borders on the really quite good at times.....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Cheers again for the useful info.

I said I didn't know much about Ravs,after talking to the bloke who turned up with a Rav and trailer to collect the motorcycle I sold today I know a little more.

I was looking in the wrong place for the LSD switch, now I know what to look for, shame the chap selling the one I linked to earlier didn't.

Now seen another local to me I'll look at tomorrow, sadly no decent private sales nearby.

My link

ABS optional in '97 look for the ABS unit low on the drivers side front under the bonnet,

Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, They all have those

Air conditioning not standard. Check it is fitted and working, should be a vent low on the drivers side under the dash

Anti theft system Factory fitted has a flashing light under the handbrake

Central locking, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Head restraints, standard fit

Limited slip differential: very much doubt it not many UK cars had this

Locking wheel nuts, Metallic paintwork, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Radio, Remote locking, Steel wheels, pretty much the norm

Sunblind, Sunroof, not sure. Should be twin pop out hatches, but the tailgate should have a twin clamping system to store them both, I can only see the top clamp for one.

Whatever you purchase, get both sets of keys. They are chipped keys and cost rather a lot to duplicate.

I didn't mention but the early RAVs don't have ABS. And the drivers airbag on the 1994 is not electrically activated - its a mechanical job. I changed my steering wheel on number 1 and have kept the old one complete with airbag. The 94 doesn't have a passenger airbag. And it was only last week I noticed that mines ( the plural of mine by the way) don't have the third high set brake light. Must have been added circa 1997.

The car on the last link looks a neat job. Wonder about the rear seat on the offside - looks a bit battered?

I didn't mention but the early RAVs don't have ABS. And the drivers airbag on the 1994 is not electrically activated - its a mechanical job. I changed my steering wheel on number 1 and have kept the old one complete with airbag. The 94 doesn't have a passenger airbag. And it was only last week I noticed that mines ( the plural of mine by the way) don't have the third high set brake light. Must have been added circa 1997.

The car on the last link looks a neat job. Wonder about the rear seat on the offside - looks a bit battered?

Again cheers.

The rear seats will be coming out anyway,I only need a car for when the weather is bad and I don't fancy taking the motorcycle to work. Hopefully I'll get to look at it later in the week.

Hi gregory bought my 1994 rav4 with 98,000 back in may for £700, it looked good bodywise, drove brilliant and mechanically perfect for 94, i ran it off and on through the summer months as a second vehicle when needed. I garaged her about a month ago to seal up the underside and do any mechanical work that was needed. replaced rear shocks as they were bouncy (about £35 iirc) but that was it other than a new petrol filter(£19). Bodywork was great underneath for year although a bit rusty so power washed and removed excess rust with wire brush. There was some welding work as i had to replace the centre part of the rear cross member below the rear door and a small patch inside the drivers rear wheel arch. Also had to replace petrol filler pipe going to tank as it was rotten owing to mud lying on top of it behind the plastic guard (sourced a secondhand replacement for £45). I stone chipped it all underneath and wheel arches, repainted under wheel arches red again and finally a coat of black waxoyle on body and suspension, so she should be good underneath for a good few years with a little maintenance.

This is just to let you know what to look for from my own experience so far. I regard my rav4 value for money if you use it for winter use or a second vehicle even after all the work ive done.

regards kevin

i got my 98 rav vx about 1 month ago for £1625 with 120,000 miles and absolutely love it! have fitted 235/60/16 falken land air t110 tyres and played in the mud and snow recently and very impressed with its capability! even used the diff lock a few times. very comfortable to drive on the road and good fun off it!

Despite the handbook saying the diff lock should not be used for speeds above 50mph, I regularly have used it for speeds up to 100mph.

Cheers again for the useful info.

Now seen another local to me I'll look at tomorrow, sadly no decent private sales nearby.

My link

That looks ok

That one is a Cat c, would have saved me a trip if they'd declared it in the ad.It was up on the ramp having a wheel bearing replaced so I didn't test drive it.

How many O2 sensors do these old Ravs have on the cat?

I could see a sensor midway down the centre part of the exhaust but no others.

I recently had to replace all 4 on our 2001 Avensis Verso and don't want the pain of that again.

Ta

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links