Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Side Steps.

Paulus17

I couldn't see how the brackets for the screws came off as they seemed to be behind the protective plastic on the wheelarch :huh:

You may have to ease the inner wheel arch trim slightly to see if they slide/clip on to the bumper...............

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulus17

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

• firemac

Thank you Benxt,those look pretty good to me :thumbsup:

How long have you had them for ??

About 12 months. They attach on brackets that screw into a bar with a threaded bolt welded to it that you insert into holes in the chassis rails, one front and one back. Then the steps bolt to the brackets. Dead simple.

I couldn't see how the brackets for the screws came off as they seemed to be behind the protective plastic on the wheelarch :huh:

Those are the permanent fixing points.. You simply remove the screws or bolts and take the flap away then put the screws or bolts back in again.. They double up as securing fixings for the wheel arch liners ..

Its when You come to fit the flaps to the new car that You may require additional captive bolts and or slightly longer screws or bolts.

It should be apparent on removing the flaps which buts stay on the car and which bits need to be reatined for re fixing the flaps to the new car... But dont worry cos We can soon find You some new fixings / captives ......... :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave,i will have a proper look when it comes to putting em on the new Rav,when we get it that is :crybaby: so i will be taking em off the old rav anyway:thumbsup:

Benxt.I might be tempted to go for the after market ones.We like the look of the ones in the link i put up,and they seem to have a good feedback.

The place is based in Derby and we might be visiting up that way over the hols so if they are open we might pop along and have a look see.

Charlie,thanks for the offer of the brackets :thumbsup:

I'm sure i saw an article showing the different brackets and fixings used??

Paul . They are fixed ! You remove the screws or bolts take the flap out of the way and put the screws or bolts back in... You shouls be left with just the flaps.. Dont worry about the fixings !! They will sort later trust Me !!........... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

About 12 months. They attach on brackets that screw into a bar with a threaded bolt welded to it that you insert into holes in the chassis rails, one front and one back. Then the steps bolt to the brackets. Dead simple.

Do they have the bracket that replaces the original jacking point ??

On the Genuine Toyota ones the place where You would normally put a jack to change a wheel is no longer accesable so the steps bracketing has a new jacking point built in.. I'm assuming they must have this in place ??

On the Genuine Toyota ones the place where You would normally put a jack to change a wheel is no longer accesable so the steps bracketing has a new jacking point built in.. I'm assuming they must have this in place ??

Good point Charlie - the Toyota mounting brackets are really heavy and seem to be made from the same stuff they used to make Irn-Bru from - Girders.

Not sure but I think Irn-Bru is made from Meccano now - something to do with 'Elf 'n Safety' :unsure:

Good point Charlie - the Toyota mounting brackets are really heavy and seem to be made from the same stuff they used to make Irn-Bru from - Girders.

Not sure but I think Irn-Bru is made from Meccano now - something to do with 'Elf 'n Safety' :unsure:

Its one point where the after market kit needs to be at least as equally well built as the OE ones.. Irn Bru is made here in Scotlandshire from GiiiiiiiiiiiiirdeRRRRRRs ....

Well as we are going to pick up the new-er Rav tomorrow i have now taken all four MFs off and had a better look,well best i could,and it seems that the two at the rear and three at the front are fixed on with self tapping screws fixed into the actual metal of the wheelarch,with one longer screw underneath going into a plastc fixing which i couldn't get off.

So it looks like i will have to do some drilling to refit them.??

Well as we are going to pick up the new-er Rav tomorrow i have now taken all four MFs off and had a better look,well best i could,and it seems that the two at the rear and three at the front are fixed on with self tapping screws fixed into the actual metal of the wheelarch,with one longer screw underneath going into a plastc fixing which i couldn't get off.

So it looks like i will have to do some drilling to refit them.??

No Paul NO drilling necessary !! The holes in the flaps correspond with the bolts that fix the arch liners. So You remove these and offer up the flaps and bolt them on.. You may need a couple of nut captives right at the bottom and 1 or two of the bolts may need to be slightly longer but dont worry cos I can send You something if needed ??

Perhaps David could post up a fitting diagram ? This will clarify it all for You.. It really is a doddle..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Perhaps David could post up a fitting diagram ? This will clarify it all for You.. It really is a doddle..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well I would if I could but Toyota seem to be keeping 4.2 mudflap fitting details a secret :unsure:

Well I would if I could but Toyota seem to be keeping 4.2 mudflap fitting details a secret :unsure:

Bet they will be the same is the 4.3 ?? Wont be much in it ??

4.3 Mud Flap fitting instructions in attached PDF's

NB - these instructions are for RAVs with 'overfenders' AKA wheel arch trims.

Over fender mud flaps front.pdf

Overfender mud flaps rear.pdf

4.3 Mud Flap fitting instructions in attached PDF's

NB - these instructions are for RAVs with 'overfenders' AKA wheel arch trims.

There You go Paul that should explain it .. There is on the 4.3 just the one wee hole to drill (My bad)This is in the plastic section of the rear lower bumper.. The drawing shows retentive clips but these can be faked using nyloc nuts and short 10 mill bolts...

It really is a piece of cake !!

Thanks David !!.............. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you David :thumbsup:

Those fittings do look the same as what i took off apart from the fixings,i had philips dome head screws not hex head screws.

Type of fixings matters not Mate.. So long as they fix Job done ................ :thumbsup:

Well Charlie i'm sorry to say that after all that it seems that the old MFs won't fit the newer Rav as it has the flared arches :crybaby:

David as just looked at the piccys of the two Ravs and noticed the difference.

So it's back to the drawing board.Just hope the old mats fit :rolleyes:

One word ...............Bugger............................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One word ...............Bugger............................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i could think of several more Charlie :D :lol:

Looks like it'll be more hard dealing in the morning :D

i could think of several more Charlie :D :lol:

Looks like it'll be more hard dealing in the morning :D

Hi Paul, for what it's worth, if you fit sidesteps you won't need the mudflaps. We've got both on the 5-dr (because we fitted mf's first in an attempt to keep the horse s41t at the stables off the car) but they didn't really do it so we fitted the sidesteps which do work a treat in keeping all the c4ap off the sills & door bottoms.

Consequently I've fitted Mr.T's sidesteps to our 3-dr & haven't bothered with mf's = result!

I find the mudflaps really help even with steps fitted .. Th Fella up our road has the latest SR like Hoovies one and has steps fitted. I cut and trimmed a set of flaps so they would fit as apparently its not possible to fit the front ones to this car with steps fitted (It is !!) And Fella says how much better it is now.

Steps arent going to help at the rear and reas fitted without fronts look unbalanced IMO..

Well we picked the Rav up today but didn't get very far with a good deal with the steps nor th mudflaps,best they could dod was a 10% discount.Steps came out at £360 fitted and MFs £96 fitted more than doubling the cost of just the MFs :eek:

We was also told by the fitters that the steps are just cosmetic and not meant to be stood on,for say cleaning the roof or tying things to the bars,which goes against all that we have read and been told about em.??

This has put Mrs P off the idea of the steps now i think,but they are having it back in January to do some little jobs such as swapping the Battery over,so we have until then to think about it!!!

Well we picked the Rav up today but didn't get very far with a good deal with the steps nor th mudflaps,best they could dod was a 10% discount.Steps came out at £360 fitted and MFs £96 fitted more than doubling the cost of just the MFs :eek:

We was also told by the fitters that the steps are just cosmetic and not meant to be stood on,for say cleaning the roof or tying things to the bars,which goes against all that we have read and been told about em.??

This has put Mrs P off the idea of the steps now i think,but they are having it back in January to do some little jobs such as swapping the battery over,so we have until then to think about it!!!

"We was also told by the fitters that the steps are just cosmetic and not meant to be stood on" Utter b0ll0cks!! I weigh 15 stone and stand on them regularly to wash the roof. No problems. You only have to look at the design & weight of the brackets that bolt them to the car to see that they are substantial.

Given your experiences with this dealer, I think you've hit on the least knowledgeable franchise in Toyota GB. Why are you "swapping the Battery over"?

As a matter of interest, who are they?

This has put Mrs P off the idea of the steps now i think,but they are having it back in January to do some little jobs such as swapping the battery over,so we have until then to think about it!!!

Get a price for what you want from Kingo Paul.

Depending on where you are in Warwickshire I would be happy to pop over and help you fit them. Can't speak for Charlie but I bet he'd offer the same if not too far :thumbsup:

Firemac wrote

Given your experiences with this dealer, I think you've hit on the least knowledgeable franchise in Toyota GB. Why are you "swapping the Battery over"?

As a matter of interest, who are they?

It is the Solihull branch Jim.

To be fair Jim they made us feel very welcome,all the staff,and everything we asked for was no bother for them. :thumbsup:

We want the new Battery out the old Rav put into the newer Rav as it's only a couple of months old while the other might be original,even though they say it's been checked and is ok?? plus Mrs P is still contemplating changing the tyres over,which they said they would do if wwe require?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links