Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Landcruiser Stalls

lc5d4

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here by a novice forum poster and even greater novice with regards to anything technical / mechanical

So heres the story -

Landcruiser (Jan 2006) LC5 D4 Automatic suddenly stalls in slow moving traffic whilst nearly stopped. Restart engine - which it does and it stalls again and again and again instantly.

Tow truck called and takes me to nearby garage who keeps it for three days and then says we couldnt find any fault when we connected our computer to your vehicle or with manual inspections but we have rest ECU and car is now fine - Charge £250.

Car drives OK for three weeks but yesterday I was sitting at traffic lights and I thought it was going to stall again - it sounded not good - but then went ok for 4-5 hours then exactly the same thing happened - stalled and would restart then stall immediately again.

After the first breakdown I read the topics on here about resetting the ECU - so this time I disconnected the Battery for 10 minutes and restarted car ( saved £250 ) - all is fine again - for now.

So it would appear that resetting the ECU clears the fault temporarily but that is not a permanent fix to this issue - I need a permanent fix -

Does this sound mechanical or electrical - If I go to main dealer I have no doubt they will recommend new ECU - which wont be cheap

Any advice or suggestions really would be appreciated

Many Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here by a novice forum poster and even greater novice with regards to anything technical / mechanical

So heres the story -

Landcruiser (Jan 2006) LC5 D4 Automatic suddenly stalls in slow moving traffic whilst nearly stopped. Restart engine - which it does and it stalls again and again and again instantly.

Tow truck called and takes me to nearby garage who keeps it for three days and then says we couldnt find any fault when we connected our computer to your vehicle or with manual inspections but we have rest ECU and car is now fine - Charge £250.

Car drives OK for three weeks but yesterday I was sitting at traffic lights and I thought it was going to stall again - it sounded not good - but then went ok for 4-5 hours then exactly the same thing happened - stalled and would restart then stall immediately again.

After the first breakdown I read the topics on here about resetting the ECU - so this time I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and restarted car ( saved £250 ) - all is fine again - for now.

So it would appear that resetting the ECU clears the fault temporarily but that is not a permanent fix to this issue - I need a permanent fix -

Does this sound mechanical or electrical - If I go to main dealer I have no doubt they will recommend new ECU - which wont be cheap

Any advice or suggestions really would be appreciated

Many Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Bump & Update - Any Help appreciated

This has happened 3 times now - ist time then second time 31 days later then third time 31 days later again ( does landcruiser have a calendar with a hiccup LOL )

After each incident no faults show on computer analysis.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Has it had any ECU updates from Mr T? When was the fuel filter changed? Does sound like it could be a fault with the ECU? Has Toyota issues a TSB for the car apart from the injector issues due to the copper washers that should be aluminium? Afaik...

Hi,

Could try the throttle valve flap,this builds up with carbon and oil and alters the idle control,by resetting or disconnecting the ecu or Battery you erase the idle values so it has to relearn again from its present position which is ok for now but after a while it moves on the carbon to a different position and thus upsets the idle again, it needs cleanining out you may have to remove it from intake manifold to get to the back of it,clean the housing and flap and check its movement also that it returns nicely to its rest stop. hope this makes sense.

• 3 years later...

i have the exact same issue - can u please tell me the solution the problem?

• 4 years later...

I have the same issues with mine. Did you find out what it was. Mines currently in the garage and they don't know what it is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links