Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

R1V4 T180 Steering Clunk

crustyclam

Hi All,

I have recently (less than 2 weeks) bought a 2006 RAV4 T180 from a main dealer (Jaguar) which i am very happy with.

However i have noticed a slight clunk when i turn left or right at low speeds, usually towards the end of the steering range. Are there any known issues on this model.

Thanks

Lee

Hi All,

I have recently (less than 2 weeks) bought a 2006 RAV4 T180 from a main dealer (Jaguar) which i am very happy with.

However i have noticed a slight clunk when i turn left or right at low speeds, usually towards the end of the steering range. Are there any known issues on this model.

Thanks

Lee

Hello Lee and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

There are three known issues with noises from the steering.

See attached PDFs

4.3%20knocking%20from%20suspension%20strut1.pdf

4.3%20steering%20knock%20from%20loose%20bolts1.pdf

2008-10-14_215655_rav_4_steering_21.pdf

Welcome to the club.

If you can feel it in the wheel it is the intermediate shaft.

Thankyou DavRav & Anchorman for the quick replies.

I can definately feel it in the steering wheel... oh flip sounds like the Intermediate Shaft Assembly...likely expensive.

Will have to get a Toyota dealer to carry out a check on this and confirm. Would i be covered by any rights as just bought the car from main dealer? (Also comes with 3 months Breakdown insurance, but thats full of clauses)

Thanks

Lee

I believe ou will be Ok but report it right away.

Have rung the dealer and i am awaiting a call back from Sales Manager.

Is this dealer in Macc?

Why...? What's wrong wi' dufflecoats....? On a roll today..... :yahoo:

Kev I think Anchs means RRG Macclesfield (Toyota Dealers). Anyway whats the thing about Dufflecoats,I have one which I wear everyday and it,s red (Q for a comment)?

Regards Clare

Make sure they don`t use tie wraps and used chewing gum!!!! :D

Is this dealer in Macc?

No its in Bradford (Its a jaguar dealership)

Make sure they don`t use tie wraps and used chewing gum!!!! :D

Lol, i wish it would be that simple.

Unfortunately, Toyota considers the steering clunk as a nuisance and not a safety issue, so they have only issued a TSB, not a recall. This fellow was out of warranty and decided to sort it himself:

Steering clunk--A Possible Fix

I have had this problem for several years in my 2007 V6 steering. I heard and felt the "slight clunk" every time I drove the RAV4. It was out of warranty when I saw the service bulletin. Two weeks ago I decided to try my own fix. I have driven regularly for 2 weeks and not heard or felt a clunk. It is wonderful. Here is my fix' date=' I removed the "Steering Intermediate Shaft", inspected it and found no specific problems, no looseness or binding. I thought the problem might be that the lubricant in the sliding connection had worked out. I pushed as much of the original lubricant back into the splined area as practical and then added a limited amount of WD40 spray lubricant to reach into the splined section and also soften the original grease. (the 2 sections of the "Steering Intermediate Shaft" could not be readily separated) In order to best get the lubricant into the sliding section I removed the steel cup which contains a seal at the top of the tubular sliding member. I put a screw driver against the edge of the cap and tapped it with a hammer to slide the seal cup off of the tube. At the end I gently tapped the seal cup back in place.

A possible short cut on this procedure that might work is to spray WD40 or something similar into the sliding section without removing the steering shaft. I believe for this to be successful you would have to remove the seal cup so lubricant can be added at the upper end of the sliding section.

To remove the steering shaft I followed the procedure given in the service bulletin at first. I was not able get to the bolts to remove the shaft with the steering wheel in one position straight ahead. I then very carefully used a marker to index each of the joints that I was removing to the shaft it was on so I could put each back in the exact same angular position. I do not know what problems are caused if you don't get them back exactly as they were. After marking the pieces I then rotated the steering shaft to a place where I could remove the bolt from the coupling. It must be removed not just loosened as it fits in a groove on the inner shaft to locate the coupling position lengthwise. Other than the lower plastic shield I removed only 1 bolt from each end of the steering shaft couplings and then was able to pry off the couplings and remove the shaft assembly. Before starting I removed the small dashboard panel immediately under the steering column, 2 screws and then just pull off from friction pins.

This has gotten long so I will stop. I will check back for a few days if there are questions. I do not have photos or any means to get them.[/b']

Spoke to the Sales Manager and he has agreed to take the vehicle back to take a look at the problem. (Coutesy car to be provided.)

I'll be speaking with him on Saturday to arrange a date for it to go back in next week. I'll be printing off the TSB for them to veiw.

It'll give me a chance to take it on a decent motorway run anyway (Warrington -> Bradford), and see what the economy is like. Got some BG244 to add, so I'll be adding that prior to the journey.

Currently getting around 33mpg on my travels to work, i'll be very interested to see if it makes any difference.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Lee

Currently getting around 33mpg on my travels to work, i'll be very interested to see if it makes any difference.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Lee

Always keen to hear mpg figures from other T180 owners!

Took my RAV back to the dealer i bought it from today, they have accepted an issue is present and have agreed to foot the repair bill.

They will be arranging for it to go to a Toyota dealer in the new year. Big relief and makes me so glad i bought from a main dealer.

On a side note i added some BG244 to a tank of fuel yesterday and filled up with BP Ultimate Diesel (not the cheapest!!). Anyway did a 12.5mile journey yesterday trip mpg showed 41.

Done 120 odd miles today on my round trip and trip now shows 39mpg. Very carefull foot control though, and lots 50mph roadworks...but not bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Rav has finally gone back to the dealer for repair..... best courtesy car ever....Jag XF Diesel. Hope they don't fix it too quick!!

Hi all, I have the clunk and took the car to the Toyota dealer in Cardiff where they diagnosed a worn steering knuckle that is going to cost me £360 to repair, has anyone else experienced similar?

Cheers,

Gav

Hi all, I have the clunk and took the car to the Toyota dealer in Cardiff where they diagnosed a worn steering knuckle that is going to cost me £360 to repair, has anyone else experienced similar?

Cheers,

Gav

I am still waiting to get mine back, the Jag dealership i bought it from has taken it to a Toyota dealership to be fixed. I am hoping to get it back today or tomorrow, when i asked the Jag dealer what had failed they were not sure. I'll post what the issue was when i find out.

Cheers,

Gav

You can buy the part off Kingo and do it yourself for half that price.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links