Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Oil Filter Socket

anchorman

I have at last got a decent filter socket for the aluminium filter housing on the RAV diesel. This one came from eBay for about £25 including delivery from the USA. We have deliberated many times over the correct size - is it 64mm or 65mm? Well these are liseted as 64.5mm! There are cheaper versions (Laser do one) but just Google or eBay "Lexus oil filter socket". This one I've got is made from heavy chrome vanadium so should be the business;

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Well it excites me anyway :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

Nice one Anch's :thumbsup:

Is the same size one that fits the Avensis T-180?

I have at last got a decent filter socket for the aluminium filter housing on the RAV diesel. This one came from ebay for about £25 including delivery from the USA. We have deliberated many times over the correct size - is it 64mm or 65mm? Well these are liseted as 64.5mm! There are cheaper versions (Laser do one) but just Google or ebay "Lexus oil filter socket". This one I've got is made from heavy chrome vanadium so should be the business;

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Well it excites me anyway :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

Looks the proper job :thumbsup:

It does yes. This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS-Aluminum-OIL-FILTER-SOCKET-64-5mm-/250940849674?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a6d3d7e0a

Laser do this version which might turn out to be quite good quality but I can't tell if it is pressed steel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039316B2/ref=asc_df_B0039316B25708875?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0039316B2

Either way, the slots engage the lugs on the housing and it has to be better than these cheap 64 or 65mm tin sockets.

It does yes. This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6d3d7e0a

Laser do this version which might turn out to be quite good quality but I can't tell if it is pressed steel.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0039316B2

Either way, the slots engage the lugs on the housing and it has to be better than these cheap 64 or 65mm tin sockets.

Great stuff. I'll order the one from the States :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039316B2/ref=asc_df_B0039316B25708875?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0039316B2

According to LASER its aluminium - die cast by the look of it :unsure:

those ones fit all new toyotas and lexus's with the cartrage filter inc the petrols fitted with the same...also fit all the cars with the j1 normal filter..

ie aygo,yaris,avensis etc

those ones fit all new toyotas and lexus's with the cartrage filter inc the petrols fitted with the same...also fit all the cars with the j1 normal filter..

ie aygo,yaris,avensis etc

I take it that this one will do the same job mate?

http://laserhandtool...t=375&item=7048

Anch's,

Order a boat liad and flog em on here. ill have one off ya!

Don, does this socket fit all D4D Toyota engines? I,m wondering if it will fit the 1.4D4D that,s in my Urbancruiser?

Regards Clare

Taff

They are coming out of the woodwork now we know what we are looking for. Yes that would fit too but I would just like to have a closer look to see how good it is. The one that James has found is no doubt strong but looking at it, it would seem that it doesn't engage the slots, only the hex on the bottom. Its clearly a heavy socket capable of undoing the housing (read the first review) by brute strength on the hex only. The one I have has slots AND half way at 90 degrees two cheeks machined out. If you look in the oil change thread at picture 8 or 9 you will see that the casting has a corresponding boss right next to the embossed word "TOYOTA". My new socket which I have included at picture 2 engages that too giving it 14 flats, the 2 "wings" and the the 2 bosses. I would have to play with that laser one to see what the score is but I'm sure it would be better than a tin or plastic one that just engages the hex alone. All the ones I had in the past did just this and as soon as you get a tight one the just round off. I brought one back from the USA and the first time I used it was on Vivienne M's T180. It had previously been done at the dealers. It was so tight that it broke the square drive out of the centre!

The filter only needs nipping up. The rubber O ring creates the seal. I notice the instructions on a genuine filter from the US ($5.95) put emphasis on the location of the seal which is in a groove about 5mm from the flange. On the US forum you can read many accounts of where roadside oil change workshops (commonplace there) have located the ring under the flange. The resultant leak has ruined the engine then there is a big fight over who will pay! I will add a better photo to the oil change post just to clarify this.

ORMI makes a good point in that it will also fit the very commonly used on Toyota 14 flat spin on oil filter.

Don, does this socket fit all D4D Toyota engines? I,m wondering if it will fit the 1.4D4D that,s in my Urbancruiser?

Regards Clare

Thats a good question. AS you know I test drove the UC and whilst crawling around it in a lay by I couldn't even find the filter so I would need it over my pit to check. Maybe Ormi or Kingo could confirm.........

.......gentlemen?

Cheers for that Don. The things we get up to in laybyes!!!!!

Reagars Clare :thumbsup:

I have at last got a decent filter socket for the aluminium filter housing on the RAV diesel.

Oh, so that's the socket you were on about! :thumbsup:

Just for ref, this is the one below Mr T references in the RAV repair manual (part no. 09228-06501) stamped as 65mm and will charge you £££ for.

filtertooltop.jpg

filterToolBot.jpg

That one you've found is obviously superior to Mr T's. :thumbsup:

Did you but that from Mr T?

Come on........

.......how much???

think you wont get much change from £50...we go through a lot of them at work(4 last week)due to people over tightning the filter housings...

think you wont get much change from £50...we go through a lot of them at work(4 last week)due to people over tightning the filter housings...

It does look like a pretty crude casting. Seems to have been sand cast as opposed to die cast :unsure:

Lost the receipt :P

It's going back probably about 5 years now. I think it was around £30.

Couldn't find the exact size at the time, so bit the bullet. Yes rip-off, but figured it would pay for itself eventually.

I prefer the look of Ancs', knowing what seems to get done to the filter housings by some dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just say be careful when buying and using some of these tools. Make sure the one you use fits PERFECTLY. Some are just that bit too big and either jam on the plastic cap or in extreme cases slip completely and round off the corners of the flutes. I've had a steel one jam which isn't bad when removing as it's easily removed from the cap but torqueing up is different - not easily extracted! I would say that 65mm is slightly too big, 64 x 14 seems to fit properly.

I own and have found the Assenmacher is the only one to fit properly and being of cast aluminium is really sturdy. Some of the pressed steel versions are very weak and slightly too big.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links