Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedo Unit Of Measurement

Farmerpug

Hi

my aunt has a 2005 yaris 1.0.

It originally came from the republic of ireland where the clocks display in Kilometers, but we live in northern ireland where everything is in miles.

She paid some man £60 so he could change the car to display in MPH, but this was before i looked at it and i see the yaris has a button up by the speedo that changes between kmh and mph. Although the odometer is now in miles whereas before it was in kilometres. They apparently had to take apart the cluster and have left fingerprints on the inside of the lens.

Id like to ask was it really such a job just to change the units, but how can i get the cluster apart so i can remove the fingerprints from the inside of the lens.

here is the cluster its possible to see the smudge on the lens, it is annoying my aunt when she looks at the thing:

1be77815.jpg

c497ed02.jpg

how do i get the big surround off the cluster, i assume it prys out but where is the clips so i don't break them.

thanks

here is the cluster its possible to see the smudge on the lens, it is annoying my aunt when she looks at the thing:

1be77815.jpg

c497ed02.jpg

how do i get the big surround off the cluster, i assume it prys out but where is the clips so i don't break them.

thanks

I have not done this job on a yaris so I can only quote the manual which says, Disconnect the Battery negative lead and position away from the Battery. 2. Taking care not to mark the trim prise out the instument panel surround from the facia (it is possible to do this just by pulling) Work round the surround until it is free and lift it out. 3. remove the mounting screw either side of the instrument panel and two more at the front and withdraw it. 4. Disconnect the wiring plugs from the side and back of the panel, and remove it from the facia. 5. Refitting is a reversal of removal. I presume when you reach this stage you will find that the glass is retained by clips. Good Luck!

Regards Geoff Peace.

The mode button changes the speedo between mph and km/h but not the trip counters or odo (I just tried it :P)

As for removing the surround, I think I just dug my nails into the edge near the back where the glass is and gave it a gentle yank to get out the inner part of the tunnel and that exposes the screws and stuff to get at the rest of it... :unsure:

That was a long time ago tho' so I may be missing a step...?

Thanks i got it out, give the lens a clean with some windowlene and its much better to read, its also interesting to see how the thing works i never knew it was a mirrored image.

What would be required for a yaris to display its odometer in miles, i don't think its a £60 job.

Thanks i got it out, give the lens a clean with some windowlene and its much better to read, its also interesting to see how the thing works i never knew it was a mirrored image.

What would be required for a yaris to display its odometer in miles, i don't think its a £60 job.

There are two buttons on the lower part of the surround, one is for the tripmeter the other changes from km/hr to miles/hr and back again. iy should be in the handbook.

Regards Geoff Peace.

There are two buttons on the lower part of the surround, one is for the tripmeter the other changes from km/hr to miles/hr and back again. iy should be in the handbook.

Regards Geoff Peace.

yup i see them they change the speed units which is good but if the odometer was originally in kilometres how do you change it to miles.

Geoff - Can you change the trip/odo with that button too? When I tried it it only changes the speedo between bright/miles, dim/miles, bright/km and dim/km...

Geoff - Can you change the trip/odo with that button too? When I tried it it only changes the speedo between bright/miles, dim/miles, bright/km and dim/km...

The car was a Mk1 yaris 05 registration and one button zeroed the tripmeter, I think there were two tripmeters, the other switched between km. and miles, including the odometer I think you had to hold it down for a couple of seconds for the odometer. It was all in the handbook. I sold the car three months ago so I cannot look it up for you unfortunately. Anyway you will be able to tell because the odometer reading will change, mileage reading will be approximately five eighths of the kilometer reading.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links