Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad Handling On Icy Roads

adie360

Just experienced my first use of my RAV4 on icy roads.

Not good! Any movement of the steering wheel over 25 MPH and tight buttocks!

I need to know if i have a problem with either car or tyres or if this is a charactor of the model.

Currently using Pirelli scorpion STR tyres.

I need to know if i have a problem with either car or tyres or if this is a charactor of the model.

Currently using pirelli scorpion STR tyres.

Depends how icy. Bear in mind that 4wd allows the car to move forward with greater ease in poor traction conditions. Any (2wd or 4wd) car will slide on ice at speed. Tyres will obviously make a difference.

I got pranged by a boy in a Range Rover doing about 30mph.. we were on compact snow/ice and he slid round the corner into me...

I'm sure your car is fine. Don't assume that cos you have a 4wd you can go mad when on ice... it's not true.

Weblers

I think and hope that Winter Tyres make a lot of difference. I was going to work on Saturday morning very early ( 5.30am) and we had a bit of snow and ice on the roads going in to Douglas, the U/C took it in its stride. ( AWD and winter tyres).

Regards Clare

It is a common thought that because a vehicle is 4WD you can drive on snow/ice like it was a normal road, being 4x4 wont help your handling at all, if you hit some ice you will slide as much as any car on the road. The benefit you will have is traction, this will get you moving in the first place.

The STR is an all weather tyre ..

The Pirelli Scorpion STR is a Touring All Season tyre designed to be fitted to SUV and 4x4s. Below is data from 6 tyre reviews averaging 72% over 104,000 miles driven.

Dry Grip

83%

Wet Grip

68%

Road Feedback

77%

Progressiveness

80%

Wear

54%

Comfort

72%

They should cope well with all conditions but the trade off of all weather tyres is they will not cope with specific situations particularly well..

Dedicated Winter tyres respond and handle winter situations much better but You have to consider do You really need them.. I chose to have them because I do a high mileage and its sometimes very important that I make that trip.

Being 4WD has nothing to do with steering or braking. For that you need grip and that means appropriate tyres.

I'd endorse what everyone else has said above. 4WD doesn't allow you to overcome the laws of physics - I used to be able to get my LC4 into 4-wheel drifts on roundabouts without trying too hard!

It is important at this time of year to pay particular attention to the routine things like making sure that pressures are correct, tread depth is adequate and your wheels are properly aligned. All of these can affect grip & handling - snow/ice/low temps will exaggerate any shortcomings.

I've been running Duelers on ours 4.2 through the last two bad winters with no problems at all so I would reckon your Scorpions should be adequate.

I'd endorse what everyone else has said above. 4WD doesn't allow you to overcome the laws of physics - I used to be able to get my LC4 into 4-wheel drifts on roundabouts without trying too hard!

It is important at this time of year to pay particular attention to the routine things like making sure that pressures are correct, tread depth is adequate and your wheels are properly aligned. All of these can affect grip & handling - snow/ice/low temps will exaggerate any shortcomings.

I've been running Duelers on ours 4.2 through the last two bad winters with no problems at all so I would reckon your Scorpions should be adequate.

Glad it wasn't just me - I found my LC quite embarrassing on roundabouts and with its large mass it would slide readily downhills in the snow and ice if the brakes were touched!

David

Many thanks for all your replies.

especially those regarding the tyres. The scorpions were on the car when i bought it so the next set will be my choice.

My last two vehicles were a V8 Landy defender and an Audi TT which had 4WD and all the trimmings, it was excellent on ice so guess i have been spoilt. So lesson leant.

Adie

Just to be clear, you meant your Audi was excellent on ice, NOT the Landy!!

You'd be in trouble for praising the L word on here!

Dave

Just because i have a huge spoiler on the boot, doesnt me i can fly to the caneries.....lol!!!

Quite right ..... that oil-burning lump is far too heavy to even get wheelspin !! :lol: :lol:

Over the past 2 winters (and in fact all year round) I am happy with the Falkens I use.

On ice - even black ice - by driving carefully to match the conditions, I've never had a problem. Last week when we had sheer black ice outside and the cars were having problems, the RAV was quite happy with no slip unless I slammed the brakes on to give the wife a fright. It recovered well. In deep snow last year, the car managed all roads and even up onto verges to pass other cars and vans that were stuck.

Saw a Merc last week who had snow chains on the rear and broken down... or maybe one of the chains had snapped?

The RAV is by far the best car on the road in poor conditions.

I remember the words of the instructor when taking My cherry picker licence a few Years ago ..

If You go slowly You get into trouble slowly... This gives You more time to get out of said trouble...

As We were 40 foot up in the air and it was blowing a gale I was quite prepared to take his word for it !!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I think the same rules apply here really ??......................... :thumbsup:

Just to be clear, you meant your Audi was excellent on ice, NOT the Landy!!

You'd be in trouble for praising the L word on here!

Dave

OK no more L word !!!

you presume correctly the AUDI was excellent, not the other one :censor: