Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs

Notebook

Not seen you for ages Nick.

If it has the proper Iridium plugs you are looking at 60k although I would change them at possibly half of that. You will be looking at at least £40 a set.

If it has ordinary copper core I would have them out at 20k. It will run best on Iridium cored plugs.

Denso Irodium Tough are very good plugs. Got some for me mums car and it goes like the clappers now :thumbsup:

If it has the proper iridium plugs you are looking at 60k although I would change them at possibly half of that. You will be looking at at least £40 a set.

If it has ordinary copper core I would have them out at 20k. It will run best on iridium cored plugs.

Hi Anchs

New job - working on aircraft seats - premium class - above first class.

Just spent 6 weeks in Beijing!!

Any particular make?

what size spanner do I need?

Thanks

NGK... But Denso I'd prefer... Opie oils have some keen prices

Thanks

If it has the proper iridium plugs you are looking at 60k although I would change them at possibly half of that. You will be looking at at least £40 a set.

If it has ordinary copper core I would have them out at 20k. It will run best on iridium cored plugs.

Wife's 3 door has Iridium plugs as standard, and I changed at 30k, and must say the old plugs still appeared in perfect nick.

Out of interest, can a car with normal copper core plugs be substituted with Iridiums, not withstanding the large price differential.....? I am aware that the reverse should not be done....quite why I am not too sure....?

Bright Spark Kev :thumbsup:

Ignition systems designed to use Iridium plugs are usually set up with lower power than those with conventional plugs. This has the benefit of increasing component life while the very narrow tip produces a concentrated source of ignition. They tend to be used in high performance engines.

Using ordinary plugs can leave the spark up to 5000v short of power so there can be some noticeable fall off in performance but the obvious effect will be uneven idling as the spark falters.

Using Iridium plugs in a conventional set up shouldn't cause any problems in theory.

My golf uses Iridium Plugs, when they went duff at 30k suposedly have a 40k interval change. The engine would start backing off at around 5k rpm, below this engine speed it ran like a dream. This had me stumped for a while as never suspected the Plugs causing this loss in power at top end. Would rev to 7k when not under load though.

The ecu must have detected miss fires and so backed of the engine speed. As a last resort new ngk Iridium plugs ( £10 each x 6 OWTCH) at the correct temp specified by vw and she was as good as new.

She was flying again.............

Ignition systems designed to use iridium plugs are usually set up with lower power than those with conventional plugs. This has the benefit of increasing component life while the very narrow tip produces a concentrated source of ignition. They tend to be used in high performance engines.

Using ordinary plugs can leave the spark up to 5000v short of power so there can be some noticeable fall off in performance but the obvious effect will be uneven idling as the spark falters.

Using Iridium plugs in a conventional set up shouldn't cause any problems in theory.

Ah knew that.....

:eek:

Hi,Nick

There is a set of 4 Ngk Iridium listed on Ebay @ £31.50 post paid.

Del

Just something to watch for, there are apparently a lot of counterfeit spark plugs out there.

NGK have a piece on their website showing how to identify them.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

www.Eurocarparts.com have a 25% discount running at present (Code - Winter25), with this four NGK Iridium plugs are around £28 post paid

The Denso Iridium plugs in my 2008 are not to be changed until 120,000 miles according to Mr. T. I saw pictures of the same plugs pulled from a 2006 at 105,000 and they looked almost new. This is on the 3.5L 2GR-FE V6.

I have pulled and replaced two sets of Iridium plugs both in excess of 50K miles and electrode wise they looked fine.

However, the special anti seize plating on the threads slowly corrodes off and one set took a considerable thump to loosen. There are many instances you can Google of very high mileage Iridium spark plugs corroding/welding themselves into the head.

If you plan to keep the car I would think twice about first removing spark plugs at 120K miles, when the cost of the head removal and helicoil will certainly be at your expense. I would probably pull them at least every 60K miles to break any corrosion and check the threads etc.

I have pulled and replaced two sets of Iridium plugs both in excess of 50K miles and electrode wise they looked fine.

However, the special anti seize plating on the threads slowly corrodes off and one set took a considerable thump to loosen. There are many instances you can Google of very high mileage iridium spark plugs corroding/welding themselves into the head.

If you plan to keep the car I would think twice about first removing spark plugs at 120K miles, when the cost of the head removal and helicoil will certainly be at your expense. I would probably pull them at least every 60K miles to break any corrosion and check the threads etc.

Good nod t'wise there, Ian....WILL CHECK.

Big Kev :thumbsup: