Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Keep Your Rav Warm In The Winter?

Molnboman

Thought I would show you how we survive the cold starts in the morning up here in IKEA land!. See the pic....see the green cable that connects to my Defa heater http://www.defa.com/en/html/fp/ inside my cabin and under the engine. Connect it to 24hr timer....and Bobs yer Aunty! Never had it in my Zafira and must say it is lovely to jump into a piping hot car first thing the morning!

Cheers

A

post-113400-0-14856300-1324476904_thumb.

Dead link Mate ..........

Try that one Charlie.

Cheers

A

I am utterly horrified. In these days of carbon emissions and electricity outages, I would at least have expected you to slide a wood burning stove underneath !!! :wacko:

I've just taken delivery of a 20kw wood buring stove for my garage and will be burning waste wood... in the stove which will be 2m away from both cars. If my whisky consumption doesn't reduce then I'll be out in the garage as well !!! :lol: :lol:

I am utterly horrified. In these days of carbon emissions and electricity outages, I would at least have expected you to slide a wood burning stove underneath !!! :wacko:

I've just taken delivery of a 20kw wood buring stove for my garage and will be burning waste wood... in the stove which will be 2m away from both cars. If my whisky consumption doesn't reduce then I'll be out in the garage as well !!! :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha aye, well I don't know if I could bothered hunting froms Swan Vestas at 5am!....I will stick to usig the leccy for the time being! hehe.....or am I getting my swan vestas mixed up with those instant crappy boil in the bag curries?!!...oh I have been away too long! hehe

Better make sure its more than 2 Metres away from yours rrrrrrr's laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

No, nobody in their right mind would do that in the UK :rolleyes:

Try here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74294

The defas aren't cheap, but they work well and are nice and compact and can be mounted in more convenient places.

I ditched the domestic fan heater about 2 years ago and splashed out on a defa. Defrosting windows is a mugs game and I don't think there is much difference in emissions either way and also cost of fuel to defrost versus electricity cost. Yes, getting into a warm car is a bonus.

defa.jpg

No, nobody in their right mind would do that in the UK :rolleyes:

Try here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74294

The defas aren't cheap, but they work well and are nice and compact and can be mounted in more convenient places.

I ditched the domestic fan heater about 2 years ago and splashed out on a defa. Defrosting windows is a mugs game and I don't think there is much difference in emissions either way and also cost of fuel to defrost versus electricity cost. Yes, getting into a warm car is a bonus.

defa.jpg

Nice positioning there!....I think it's like Winter tyres....once you try it...you will never go back....Defa aint cheap but it is very effective and makes Winter driving that we bit less painful.

Cheers

A

Front and rear heated windscreens and fast demister. Front and rear heated seats.

Land Rover also do a heated steering wheel, and timed climate, which is a bolt-on fuel powered air heater on a timer, and with an alternative remote control.

Webasto seem do a similar heater system from GBP 670+vat:

http://www.crypton-uk.com/webasto.asp#Nav1

.........from GBP 670+vat:

:eek: :eek: I'll stick with the defa thanks!

Heated front windscreens are a god send, I don`t know why every car does not have them :)

I may be wrong, but I believe Ford hold or held the patent on the fine wire mesh versions. Therefore some VMs have to pay a licence fee if they want to use it. Having said that many VMs break each others patents and they sort of turn a blind eye in many cases.

Which reminds me that Bosch hold the CAN patent and if you produce a CAN compliant controller, you have to pay a licence fee. Many microprocessor manufacturers do this on your behalf if you use their micro in an ECU.

It's probably a Ford-Jaguar-Land Rover agreement, as the LR has the fine wires, as I found out driving along blisfully ignorant and then started seeing them in front of me. You need to learn to look through them.

I think BMW Mini has them too?

It's a great extra though - hard ice gone in a minute.

Also heated washer jets are great. They seem to have solved the problem of the nozzles blocking up with ice too.

yep I used to have this feature on an old K reg fiesta, best bit about it, press a button and the windscreen clears, or the ice is soft enough for the wipers to clear. I found that i had to really look for the tiny wires, but once I saw them I could always see them, but not so that they were distracting in any way :yes:

Just found these on the www http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/toyota-heated-windscreens.html

I wonder if they can get one made up for a rav?

It's probably a Ford-Jaguar-Land Rover agreement, as the LR has the fine wires, as I found out driving along blisfully ignorant and then started seeing them in front of me. You need to learn to look through them.

I think BMW Mini has them too?

It's a great extra though - hard ice gone in a minute.

Also heated washer jets are great. They seem to have solved the problem of the nozzles blocking up with ice too.

Yep...had the quick clear windscreen on my Mondeo and it worked...the fine wires didn't bother me cause I can't see properly anyway....which is why I chose the Mondeo in the first place I guess! :drool:

Why not try the heated ribbon stuff used for underfloor heating?

The army are able to drive tanks thru looking out of a little slot - whats so different between that and a oil-burning lump with 5 doors ?? :lol:

Why not try the heated ribbon stuff used for underfloor heating?

The army are able to drive tanks thru looking out of a little slot - whats so different between that and a oil-burning lump with 5 doors ?? :lol:

No difference at all other than they don't care if they hit anything with their 50 ton lump of metal!! ;)

Front and rear heated windscreens and fast demister. Front and rear heated seats.

Land Rover also do a heated steering wheel, and timed climate, which is a bolt-on fuel powered air heater on a timer, and with an alternative remote control.

Webasto seem do a similar heater system from GBP 670+vat:

http://www.crypton-uk.com/webasto.asp#Nav1

Steering wheel on Me Jag is heated ..... Daftest thing Ive ever had on a car ...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Spring2011andJaguarXF119.jpg

In the Olden Days I used to have a Kenlowe pre-heater to warm up the water in the engine (in my terrano).

Wasn't very successful, I always wondered how the oil in the unheated sump at -5 degrees got pumped around the engine that had warmed up to normal running temperature and smaller clearances.

Just sticking a fan heater inside the car 20mins before driving off seemed much better.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links