Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello New Rav D4D Owner

bluerav4

Mines been like this since I bought it, Must just be normal, Its like your driving in the wrong gear, The engine needs to be at 2k rpm before a gear change, unless your going downhill.....either the gears are very high or the engines got no torque below 2k rpm, when does the Turbo kick in?

I had this problem too, its my 1st diesel and I had trouble getting used to when to change gear, kept catching me out..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluerav4

• jedi134

• anchorman

• Tech01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think turbo kicks in around between 1500-2000 revs

All your descriptions seem to be spot on as I said when it's cold it's fine seems to be worse when the engine is warm

I think you just need to get used to it, I`ve had mine 2 years now, and still cant get to grips with it :blink: Diesels are surposed to pull from low down, but my 4.2 rav just feels like the gears are too big, so more rpm needed before gear change....It will pull at 1.5k but vibrates like mad....me don`t like :unsure:

Maybe there is something wrong with it? I dunno I just thought this is the way it is. I have a V6 golf and that will pull away in 6th gear at 10mph with not much drama and a lot quiter :yes: But I know the golf has a very low gear ratio 1st in the rav will be like 2nd in the golf

Never really noticed if its any better when cold as I usually drive pretty slowly until the engine warms up.

Oh I don't drive fast at all. I've always changed gears quickly and am usually in 4th by about 30. But I am keeping an eye on it now. I also had a Golf before this which was a TDi and that was never bothered. Maybe it is me just being paranoid.

Doing 30mph in 4th gear is fine rolling on the flat and staying at 30mph. But if you need to accelerate or incline, I'd be in third!

Dave

• 1 month later...

First of all apologies for the very late update

Unfortunately my youngest ended up in hospital for 10days with pneumonia. On the road to making a good recovery now

To be honest now I am absolutely fed up with the car now and starting to regret buying it. Someone at work had a drive ofvtbe car and said they didn't know what it is

I have been using it a fair bit when the little was in hospital. When the car is cold it sails through the gears without any problems

As explained previously when you get to 4th it seems like its vibrating but once it's picked up a bit more speed and you change to 5th it does it again for about fifteen seconds then seems ok.

Originally I felt like it was doing it only when hot. It seems to be intermittent now. Due to all hospital visits etc my nephew borrowed it and he described it as "if it was petrol engine and running on 3 cylinders" or something on those lines. I've had it a local garage and they said they weren't too sure.

Honestly I'm so fed up with it now it just stresses me so much.

Apart from this issue the car is fine. No light with engine picture comes on. Looking through the papers that came with the car all from the Toyota dealer with no expense spared

I have taken all previous advice on here and it still does the same. Oh also the garage that checked it said there was no fault coming on the diagnosis computer. Everyone I describe it to comes up with different opinions but all seem wrong. I don't want to take it to Toyota as they'll charge quite a lot and it's already been checked on a computer and they'll probably say they can't find the fault

Sorry to go on and on would really be grateful for any suggestions that I can try to sort this problem out.

Thanks in advance again

I've deleted the multiple posts - just click once and wait!

You've changes your description of the symptoms somewhat and It sounds very much like DMF snags to me. Have a look at the pinned section.

I've deleted the multiple posts - just click once and wait!

You've changes your description of the symptoms somewhat and It sounds very much like DMF snags to me. Have a look at the pinned section.

Wish ah had got in first for a change, but sure as shoot sounds like the poor wee thing is intermittently losing drive, and no temperature variations (HOT OR COLD) will affect the outcome that the DMF could be waving goodbye. Sorry Sheenster....not a cheap fix.

Big Kev

Hi again

Ok I've taken your DMF thing on board. Looking through the documentation the DMF was replaced in 2009 by a Toyota garage in Perth

So am I right in thinking I'll have to replace it again as the mileage then was 70k and it's now at 98k and looking at the receipt it's a pretty expensive fix

:-( is there anyway of finding out for sure before I get it fixed

Thanks for all your advice

Hi again

Ok I've taken your DMF thing on board. Looking through the documentation the DMF was replaced in 2009 by a Toyota garage in Perth

So am I right in thinking I'll have to replace it again as the mileage then was 70k and it's now at 98k and looking at the receipt it's a pretty expensive fix

:-( is there anyway of finding out for sure before I get it fixed

Thanks for all your advice

You've got me stumpeded now, mate....if your DMF has failed in that wee mileage it would be very unusual....surely folks.....?

Big Kev

" You've got me stumpeded now, mate....if your DMF has failed in that wee mileage it would be very unusual....surely folks.....? Big Kev "

No, no, no, no, no - yes, yes, they do. My replacement (genuine Toyota, and "modified") lasted just 25k miles, and 20 months. See post #1163794 for details. If it has gone a second time, call it a day and fit the Blueprint SMF kit.

Symptoms of a DMF on the way out include awkward clutch take-up (particularly hill starts, where lots of revs are needed), odd rumbling and tinkling noises, and rough vibrations through the gear stick which vary with throttle position. [The last one is not to be confused with 5th gear wear, which only occurs in 5th gear.]

Ask for an experienced RAV owner near you* for an opinion, if you're able. * I probably don't quality on this front.

Chris

Mine judders from cold, but after around 5 gear changes it goes away.......maybe it is the DMF, this is the only time it feels like its going to stall?

Bit I get non of the other symphoms, I do however think the rav is noisey and vibrates a bit?

But it is a diesel after all ;-)

" You've got me stumpeded now, mate....if your DMF has failed in that wee mileage it would be very unusual....surely folks.....? Big Kev "

No, no, no, no, no - yes, yes, they do. My replacement (genuine Toyota, and "modified") lasted just 25k miles, and 20 months. See post #1163794 for details. If it has gone a second time, call it a day and fit the Blueprint SMF kit.

Symptoms of a DMF on the way out include awkward clutch take-up (particularly hill starts, where lots of revs are needed), odd rumbling and tinkling noises, and rough vibrations through the gear stick which vary with throttle position. [The last one is not to be confused with 5th gear wear, which only occurs in 5th gear.]

Ask for an experienced RAV owner near you* for an opinion, if you're able. * I probably don't quality on this front.

Chris

Blessed excrement, Chris, as the vicar of Dibley would say (or holy *****....). Was it out of warranty (time barred) at that ludicrous mileage....?

Korrected Kev

Ok now really worried feel like I've just thrown a lot of money away

Went through all invoices that came with car, clutch kit was replaced a year after the DMF

I would have thought if the DMF was on its way out would it not be vibrating all the time through gears. The gear changes are smooth and never had any problems with changing up or down. We have been to the midlands and back without any problems at all. Then some days it happens again intermittently.

When we went to buy the car it drove faultless but then again it's mechanical thing so suppose you never know what to expect or when something will go wrong

Think ill have to get it replaced once I know for sure.next question will be where would I get a cheaper replacement ad Toyota will charge way too much

Thanks guys for your help really appreciated

Can't offer any advice myself :(

I do recall reading in the past many posts about how to get the DMF fixed at a much better price then the Dealers, so could be worth a trawl through the search engine :)

I just hope my fellow forum members are wrong in this case and it turns out to be something simple (and cheap) to fix. Best of Luck!

Hang on a mo', everyone !

DjRav's original query was simply about "Is it normal for me not to be able to pull away decently from 30mph in 4th?" A simple question, to which the answer is probably "No, in 3rd would be better...". Or perhaps "Yes, but gently".

And now we're talking about possible DMF faulure - for a second time! It could be DMF trouble, but this shouldn't be guessed at, and needs someone experienced to make an assessment of the car. Hopefully, this can happen soon.

And, just in case DjRav (and Kev) want to know (hypothetically, that is), do DMFs fail a second time, the answer is yes, they do.

My own experience was as follows:

Original (2003) DMF failed after 4yrs 3mnths at 52k mi.

Replaced with "updated and modified" Toyota DMF and clutch.

This failed 1yr 8mths later at 77k mi, in July 2009.

Then fitted a Blueprint SMF clutch and flywheel kit (250euro for the kit).

Quite happy since then, far better clutch action, and no problems.

Current mileage is 90k (Feb 2012).

See my post #1163794, or Search Blueprint SMF for details.

Personally, I think any further in-depth discussion of DMF problems should get posted on an existing DMF Topic location, and not placed here for DjRav to have (hopefully unnecessary) nightmares over.

Whatever you do, Dj, don't replace a flywheel and clutch "on spec". Get positive confirmation first.

Chris

Tricky one this isn't it? I share the view that diesel in this model is not happy at all at low revs and I sometimes get the same feeling as if it has gone "off boost". I have had DMF failure (and replaced it with SMF kit and clutch). The symptoms prior to failure included significantly more vibration and noise but there was no difference in how it would "pull" at lowish revs. I wonder if what OP is describing is just the nature of the beast.? Having had a number of other diesels over the years I don't consider the early D4D to be refined in any way but it is very effective in this installation.

I just think its the way the Rav 4.2 its........I really dont think mine is faulty in anyway, but it took me some getting used to and still does coming from a VW petrol Golf....The gears are really tall (if thats the right words to use) I have to change gear around 2-2.5k rpm.

But then again maybe my DMF is on its way out??? Im on 85K miles now, so probably due?

But them again I can still drop the clutch at 3k rpm and there is no horrible noises etc, apart from the 4 wheels spinning on the snow :D

Only from cold for around 5 gear changes does the clutch judder (seems like it wants to stall), really does feel like oil on the clutch and it gets burnt off?????

I will have to wait and see, B)

See that's the problem my gear changes are fine no vibrations when stood still etc. drives perfectly through all gears apart from intermittently from 3rd to 4th and to 5th. When it does do it there's no vibrations on pedal or gear lever if I then change down and change at higher revs seems ok

Think best option would be to get it to Toyota and let them have a look. If it does turn out to be DMF then unfortunately I will have to cut my losses and let it go as could never afford that sort of cash to get it fixed

Thanks anyway guys will keep you posted

I wonder if its turbo related? Maybe its not spooling up intermittantly? Or not quick enough? Could be sticking? SCV valves? Or has this been mentioned.

Just to add I get the vibration up the clutch pedal, sometimes it feels like my foot gets thrown off the pedal :D But it may be because I`m still half asleep :closedeyes:

I wonder if its turbo related? Maybe its not spooling up intermittantly? Or not quick enough? Could be sticking? SCV valves? Or has this been mentioned.

Nobody's mentioned SCV valves is that similar to the symptoms ive described. Turbo was replaced in August and think thats ok as It seems fast enough to me Just done school run and it's been fine. Are the valves cheaper than DMF would rather try a cheaper fix first

They will be cheaper than a DMF yes,, around £200 a pair I belive, But im sure this will throw up a engine management light? I belive these can have the effect of losing engine power in high gears?

Why was the turbo changed in August?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links