Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 3Door Dog Owners....

DominicPriestley

I'm toying with the idea of swapping SWMBO's Yaris for a 4.2 3door D4D (assuming I can find a good'un). Now, we have a Labrador that needs to be able to travel a short distance in this car. Around 10miles as she stays with the in-laws when were both at work. What's the situation like in the back for dogs with the seats folded. Anything In the way likely to cause injury? Any chance of fitting a dog guard? Or is the 5 door the order of the day should you be a dog owner?

I'm toying with the idea of swapping SWMBO's Yaris for a 4.2 3door D4D (assuming I can find a good'un). Now, we have a Labrador that needs to be able to travel a short distance in this car. Around 10miles as she stays with the in-laws when were both at work. What's the situation like in the back for dogs with the seats folded. Anything In the way likely to cause injury? Any chance of fitting a dog guard? Or is the 5 door the order of the day should you be a dog owner?

The 3 door seats hinge upwardly quite well, DP, but do tend to leave a bit of uncomfy looking metalwork that yer wee dug would take an instant dislike to in an emergency stop. As far as actual room is concerned when "hinged up", there should be plenty for a short journey (shout if photo of reassurance required ) but certainly would recommend a minimum of good dense upholstery foam full width across the folded seats at minimum. But would the dug chew the foam....? The ease of which the seats can be fully removed is also impressive, AND DOES NOT INCUR PARKING AT BOTHY'S GAFFAGE....

Big Kev Duggy's best friend..... :thumbsup:

A photo would be great. Nah, she wouldn't chew the foam, she's a good lass.

Can't talk for the 4.2 but the 4.3 is excellent for the dog without the seats down. The issue with giving a dog too much space is they can wander about when your driving which is actually very dangerous, for both them and the car. They can hurt themselves if they fall while you corner which can damage the car.

Our dog (big lab x Irish water spaniel) gets half our boot. The other half is the bairns buggy/pram/travel thingy. That's enough space for her to lie down or just sit there. If i corner quickly she has nowhere to fall to and as such doesn't hurt herself. In my dads pathfinder the dog rolls about the place due to the amount of space!!!

Weblers.

Can't talk for the 4.2 but the 4.3 is excellent for the dog without the seats down. The issue with giving a dog too much space is they can wander about when your driving which is actually very dangerous, for both them and the car. They can hurt themselves if they fall while you corner which can damage the car.

Our dog (big lab x Irish water spaniel) gets half our boot. The other half is the bairns buggy/pram/travel thingy. That's enough space for her to lie down or just sit there. If i corner quickly she has nowhere to fall to and as such doesn't hurt herself. In my dads pathfinder the dog rolls about the place due to the amount of space!!!

Weblers.

Pathfinder, Dave....? Is that them shoes with a compass in the heel...? Ah had them....ma daddy stole the compass in the hope ah wouldn't find ma way home....

Bear in mind that DP has mentioned a 3 door is the wishlist....a cheewahwah would go stir crazy in boot of a three door with seats erect...!!!!

If car doesn't impersonate a kite tomorrow, will phoaty with seats up DominicP.

Big Kev :lol:

Cheers BigKev.

I have a 4.3 and it's a lovely motor and ideal for the dog. However my good lady is only 5ft and the driving position is not ideal, nor is the size. She is not 100% comfortable in it. A 3door I know would be fine as she used to have one a while back before I knew her. I like the 3door 4.2's, and if the dog will fit, and my good lady, it could be a good plan. I can get my Land Cruiser then!

tn_gallery_70926_769_64200.jpg

Rav4 with seats folded :thumbsup:

(Picture is huge in my album )...have to excuse the mud,recently been off road at the time..:lol:

tn_gallery_70926_769_64200.jpg

Rav4 with seats folded :thumbsup:

(Picture is huge in my album )...have to excuse the mud,recently been off road at the time..:lol:

Thar ya go, DP.....if you can zoom in, you will see the metal work does indeed become a wee bit intrusive/exposed with the seats hinged up, but properly padded, would pose little or no threat t'dug.

Jamie....could not help but notice the set of steps in yer boot....would it not be easier/safer to just get the correct height of bike....? :lol: Obviously no car wash on the Parish to Doctor ralley either.....!!!!

Jamie....could not help but notice the set of steps in yer boot....would it not be easier/safer to just get the correct height of bike....? :lol: Obviously no car wash on the Parish to Doctor ralley either.....!!!!

Well getting the bikes down is no problem....but getting on the bikes.....ON the roof......is :lol: :lol: then biking down the windscreen,bonnett etc etc...great fun :D

As for the mud :lol: :lol: ..........Am proud of that mud ;) ....t'was the muddiest Rav4 on the forum back then :thumbsup: just proved to my fellow villagers that this 4x4 will get muddy.:yes:

Got to agree with webbers on this one, too much space in a motor can be dangerous for the dog and other occupants as even a small dog can give a hefty wallop if unrestrained in a sudden stop.

Would'nt do you or the dog any good in that case.

In my experience if there is enough room on the floor for the dog to lie down and enough room for them to poke the head up to see you and out the window then they are happy.

Del

Got to agree with webbers on this one, too much space in a motor can be dangerous for the dog and other occupants as even a small dog can give a hefty wallop if unrestrained in a sudden stop.

Would'nt do you or the dog any good in that case.

In my experience if there is enough room on the floor for the dog to lie down and enough room for them to poke the head up to see you and out the window then they are happy.

Del

Good point, Del min....not being a dog owner I could not give such specifics, and nobody has actually answered one of DP's original questions re. a dog guard, albeit the rear seats would at minimum require to be hinged up to accomodate it.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Thanks for all replies so far. From the photo it looks do-able. It would be ni problem to leave the seats folded as rear seat passengers would hardly be carried. i just wondered if there was a dog card that went in front of the seats when folded.

• 1 month later...

I use a dog guard in my RAV, it can fix to either the front or back seats. It uses 2 hooks that attach to the metal poles of the headrests. You turn a knob to tighten and it pulls against the seats.

Hi Dominic,

We've got both 3 & 5 door 4.2's plus a Pug (canine not the PSA variety) & a French Bulldog. The Pug is a placid old thing who is well-behaved in the car whereas the Frenchie is an inquisitive little beastie who would try to chew her way through the rear seats (in the 5-door, where the seats can stay upright as there is plenty of boot space) or launch herself over the folded rear seats in the 3-door in order to sit with the humans up front (ah! Bless!). If you know what Frenchies are like (99% muscle, 1% brain) you'll now just how dangerous such a projectile can be and how much damage it would do as it collides with the dash, radio, gear lever, etc. then rolling unconscious under the driver's feet preventing the use of the brakes as you hurtle towards an artic now that you have crossed to the wrong side of the road as a result of the mayhem inside the car.

Short of drugging the Frenchie for each trip, we've found that securing her lead to one of the tie-down eyelets in the rear of the boot and then clipping it to her collar allows her enough stretching, sitting, lying down room but keeps her reasonably stationary. It also means that she can't make a meal of the 5-door's seats and cannot come into contact with the bases of the 3-dr's rear seats when they are folded up. Obviously there is a bit of trial & error in getting the free length right.

So far we've not had any compalints from the wee beastie or from any do-gooder, PC animal lovers. Might be a solution for you.

Thanks for all replies so far. From the photo it looks do-able. It would be ni problem to leave the seats folded as rear seat passengers would hardly be carried. i just wondered if there was a dog card that went in front of the seats when folded.

you can also remove those rear seats completely...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links