Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Rear Door Opening

Bar-Le-Duc

Hi everyone.

Has anybody got an idea where to get the longer stay, so that the back door opens to the full 90deg,

very frustrating when you want to put something quite large in !

Mine is an 04 model by the way.

safe motoring

Geoff

"I`m just going outside, and may be some time "

Just contact a member called Parts King and he will sort one out for you

Del

Welcome aboard by the way :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Del

Thanks very much Del for the info, for some reason i cant eMail him so have left it as a comment on his profile page, or is there any other way to contact Parts King, and by the way, what is his name ?

Del

Thanks very much Del for the info, for some reason i cant eMail him so have left it as a comment on his profile page, or is there any other way to contact Parts King, and by the way, what is his name ?

We call him Shylock, Geoff, but his mammy christened him John....HIS OTHER PROFILE NAME is Kingo, and he is Parts Manager for a well known Toyota Main Dealer, who shall remain unnamed as they owe me so many golf balls in commission it would shock you. Welcome to Ye madhoose,

Big Kev :lol:

Del

We call him Shylock, Geoff, but his mammy christened him John....HIS OTHER PROFILE NAME is Kingo, and he is Parts Manager for a well known Toyota Main Dealer, who shall remain unnamed as they owe me so many golf balls in commission it would shock you. Welcome to Ye madhoose,

Big Kev

Thank you for a very fast reply, the detective work starts now.

Have you changed the stay for the longer one, and if so did you get it from the same source,

and what did it cost you and what was involved.

Kind regards

Geoff

How would this rear door mod go down at MOT time?

With the mod the rear offside lights are obscured with the door fully open . Some have suggested that reflective strips on the door edge (ie so that when fully open, they face traffic coming up from behind) will satisy some regulation. Don't know what that regulation is but I don't think the MOT includes opening the rear door. I imagine that if someone ploughed into you a no win no fee lawyer might take a chance as his client couldn't see you (ie shouldn't be let loose on the road).

Quite a few members have fitted the longer door check and no-one has reported any probs at test time.

I don't think anyone testing looks for something like that,anyway the extended strap has a check point at 60 degrees as well as 90.

Mine went through without any trouble last time

Del

Geoff,If you go to the forums page and scroll down you will find parts king advertised

Del

I'm back!

Having made all those deliveries on the 25th and eaten all those mince pies, it's time to put my sleigh away and deliver some parts to TOCers :D:

Yes we can do the 90 degree check strap but prices keep going up and up, did I speak to you today Bar-Le-Duc?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Did you read the instructions for changing the check strap pinned at the top of the page?

Big Kev

Thank you for a very fast reply, the detective work starts now.

Have you changed the stay for the longer one, and if so did you get it from the same source,

and what did it cost you and what was involved.

Kind regards

Geoff

Have bought nearly all bits for both Ravs from Shy....Parts King, but the differential for same part number ex "Jap Parts" was really too much to ignore, Geoff. Parts King took it well though....he sent me a wee dolly with a sewing kit in it....lots of needles, but no thread.

Makes a heckya difference to wifes wee Rav rear door opening though.

LOYAL TO KINGO KEV (USUALLY....) :lol:

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, what a great lot you are ! (especially Big Kev)

Not withstanding that the main dealer we bought the Rav from told us they had never heard of this, and it was not possible, and they could not do it (Hmmmmm)!!

Anchorman, please could you explain further about instructions pinned at the top of the page, as i dont seem to be able to find it ??

Thank you all once again

Guess

I`m just going outside, and may be some time.

I'm back!

Having made all those deliveries on the 25th and eaten all those mince pies, it's time to put my sleigh away and deliver some parts to TOCers :D:

Yes we can do the 90 degree check strap but prices keep going up and up, did I speak to you today Bar-Le-Duc?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Kingo, I don't know whether you spoke to 'Bar-Le-Duc' by other means but you defo spoke to me today, Steve aka 'sniper9652' when I came in to see you and ordered the longer check strap for collection Friday (hopefully!)

Cheers, Steve

On the 4.2 model RAV you only need to remove the bottom covering on the rear door. as its separate from the surround, should take you about half hour to do.... well worth it as well as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On the 4.2 model RAV you only need to remove the bottom covering on the rear door. as its separate from the surround, should take you about half hour to do.... well worth it as well as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good point, Chatters min......me a cardboard box expert (retired) and only took me 30 mins to do.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip 'chatman' I got the 90 degree check strap from kingo on Friday (30/12) and if weather is OK Sunday I will fit it! The noticeable difference from the 4.3 is that there is a vertical pin (see photo) holding the original strap onto the body of the car, can you/someone confirm that this just needs a hammer tap from below so that I can remove it and replace it later into the new strap arm?

PS: I break things quite easily so it's worth checking with you fella's first me thinks!

Regards, Steve

post-115478-0-58148200-1325350832_thumb. post-115478-0-91986700-1325350857_thumb. post-115478-0-32688800-1325350889_thumb. post-115478-0-30045400-1325350913_thumb.

Thanks for the tip 'chatman' I got the 90 degree check strap from kingo on Friday (30/12) and if weather is OK Sunday I will fit it! The noticeable difference from the 4.3 is that there is a vertical pin (see photo) holding the original strap onto the body of the car, can you/someone confirm that this just needs a hammer tap from below so that I can remove it and replace it later into the new strap arm?

PS: I break things quite easily so it's worth checking with you fella's first me thinks!

Regards, Steve

post-115478-0-58148200-1325350832_thumb. post-115478-0-91986700-1325350857_thumb. post-115478-0-32688800-1325350889_thumb. post-115478-0-30045400-1325350913_thumb.

I have found the answer to my question above! (in bold) Thanks to 'Pete' for his site and 'RAV4World'!

http://rav4world.com/UK_reardoor/uk_reardoor.html

Steve

Regards, Steve

I have found the answer to my question above! (in bold) Thanks to 'Pete' for his site and 'RAV4World'!

http://rav4world.com/UK_reardoor/uk_reardoor.html

Steve

For anyone who is interested I managed to get this mod done today! Took about 25 minutes from start to finish and in my opinion is well worth doing! Pics below show before and after, the rear door card off and the new check strap bolted and pinned into position! (sorry about the bright sun in photo!) As Edd would say off 'wheeler Dealer's' " Job done"!

Have a nice day! Steve

post-115478-0-71619900-1325523169_thumb.

post-115478-0-61084500-1325523189_thumb.

post-115478-0-95664900-1325523248_thumb.

post-115478-0-19698800-1325523271_thumb.

I've pinned the link to this thread in the Maintenance Tips :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links