Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Problems

steve hogg

Toyota Rav4 1995.

Recently my main beam lights stopped working. I checked the bulbs and fuses....all ok, so I got out the test meter and found that when the low beam is on the headlight feed for the low beam was dead but the earth showed 12 volts (14.4 when the engine is running)hence a full circuit so the beams work. Now selecting high beam all three terminals on the headlight plug read 12 volts (14.4 when the engine is running)and obviously the main beams don't work as there is no earth.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Toyota Rav4 1995.

Recently my main beam lights stopped working. I checked the bulbs and fuses....all ok, so I got out the test meter and found that when the low beam is on the headlight feed for the low beam was dead but the earth showed 12 volts (14.4 when the engine is running)hence a full circuit so the beams work. Now selecting high beam all three terminals on the headlight plug read 12 volts (14.4 when the engine is running)and obviously the main beams don't work as there is no earth.

A 'stab in the dark' Steve [no pun intended] but maybe a faulty relay :unsure:

I changed the heaqdlights on my number 1 RAV to angel eyes type and the wiring had me confused. On RAV4World theres an excellent pinned article on doing this conversion... but basically, I was expecting the feed or positive to be switched on from the headlamp switch - not so... its the earth thats switched !

I must admit to still not got my head round it but based on that I did manage to get the new headlamps to work. Try approaching it from that angle and check whether theres a fuse in the kick panel beside either the drivers side of passenger side which has blown. I do have number 1s dashboard out and intend to take lots of photos but between my father being poorly and it being too cold in the garage then I haven't done this yet... hopefully soon !!

If you are struggling I do have a circuit diagram from the Haynes manual (published for the USA market and taking things from 1996 - 2005)

If this doesn't work, maybe send me a PM and I'll have a look at number 1s system tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I do have 2 rav4's a rhd spares car and a lhd for daily use. I am happy to swap items between cars if I can work out what the problem is, however when I put the test meter on the spares car it behaves as normal ie: feed for low beam or high beam dependant on the position of the column stalk and the earth is an earth not live !!!!!

Is the headlight relay the red one in the box on the n/s inner wing? If not where is it and are there any other relays on the lighting circuit?

Toyota Rav4 1995.

Hi Steve,

it sounds to me as though you have no earth connection to the bulbs. If you have 12v on both ends of the filament it means that there is no current flow, so no light. I have no wiring diagram for your RAV so can't offer any specific help. If it were mine and I was having to work blind in the way you are, I'd take the bulb out and then check which connections are live with the switch in the a) dip and B) main beam positions with your meter. Then put the bulb back and use one of the meter test leads to create a temporary earth to the terminal which was not live during your test. HOWEVER make doubly sure that you test main and dip beam connections with the bulb out so that you don't end up shorting a feed to earth.

A second thought: I seem to remember hearing that the switch is on the EARTH side of the circuit in some places on the RAV. HTH

Thanks for the replies so far.

I do have 2 rav4's a rhd spares car and a lhd for daily use. I am happy to swap items between cars if I can work out what the problem is, however when I put the test meter on the spares car it behaves as normal ie: feed for low beam or high beam dependant on the position of the column stalk and the earth is an earth not live !!!!!

Is the headlight relay the red one in the box on the n/s inner wing? If not where is it and are there any other relays on the lighting circuit?

try just tracing the wire back. From poor memory the relays are in the engine bay.

The earths are on the radiator mounting brackets according to the wiring diagram and the relay is under the bonnet (Fig 15 pinned in the 4.1 section)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links