Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues.

CharlieFarlie

Must be fairly unlucky - the head tech at my dealer said he's never seen a modified 3/4 back and I think Kingo and Devon Aygo said the same!

Charlie has had three!! . . . Sorted now though

Hi charlie i did some investigating today and found out 2 things: The customer service at inscape derby has got to be the worst ever.And after 5 yes 5 phone calls they told me that the engine has been replaced in 2011. still not sure what to do as i think if it is clogging the egr valve up again it could be the same fault. I suppose only time will tell.

Has the car got a full Toyota history? If not low ash oil may not have been used and could be causing the problem - if it's had the engine replaced I would be happy enough - it's not just Toyota that give egr problems - every modern derv out there does.

• Like 1

Hi charlie i did some investigating today and found out 2 things:

The customer service at inscape derby has got to be the worst ever.

And after 5 yes 5 phone calls they told me that the engine has been replaced in 2011. still not sure what to do as i think if it is clogging the egr valve up again it could be the same fault.

I suppose only time will tell.

I had a replacement engine in May 2012 and by January this year and only 5,000 miles it needed rebuilding with all internal components replaced from pistons to valve seats! This was after I was assured that the replacement engine would resolve any problems. There seems to be a fundamental fault with this engine. I just hope the service manager who has dealt with me in the past is as understanding in January when the Verso goes for its next service, regardless of the mileage as that will be the year warranty time limit.

Simon.

Why did it need rebuilding buddy?

It was rebuilt due to burning 0.6 litres of oil in 530 miles.

Simon.

So as policy changed at Toyota?

No David..........

Hi There! I live in the Netherlands and saw this tread after googlling avensis 2.2 d4d cat. from 11-2006.

Thanks fore sharing all the information about this car!

Really become paranoid now about this car. The one i wanted to buy run 137000km and is in exelent shape. But no warrenty anymore...

I ivestigated the other europe forums about this car. In the Netherlands also are a lot of complaints about the gasket problems. The strange thing is that countrys as Germany, Belgium etc do not have that much complaints in forums(while they drive a lot of Toyota, among with audi and bmw;-))

Also in the states there are few complaints(maby the car isn't sold there...)

Maby different batches of engines, drivingstyle etc?

I testdrove a 2.2 d4d 177 pk with its oginal engine(137000km) wich drove like a charm, also a 2.2 d4d 177 pk with a "new" engine wich did not pulled as hard as the first one(felt less good.)The last car had a new engine at 103000, and had in total 177000km on the clock

Difficult to decide what to do...

Sorry fore my bad writing, my englisch is a bit rusty. :D

Hi there, have read this thread with great interest & have gleaned lots of info....thank you.

I'm looking for some advice please. We recently had our engine replaced as per this thread. Vehicle is a 2008 RAV4 2.2 d4d XTR.

SInce we've had it back after the engine replacement we seem to have inherited a new noise. The noise is coming from the engine and is a ticking/tapping noise at 2000rpms. If you push through 2000rpms the noise disappears. We've had no loss of power or any other symptoms, just this noise.

We took it back to the dealer & went for a drive with the mechanic and he told us 'oh that's just your egr valve working' which sounded feasible at the time but on researching the egr valve we can't find anything relating to the fact it may make a bit of a noise! The noise is not overly loud & may have been present before the engine replacement but not as loud as it is now. I wondered if it was the turbo?

Does this sound like a normal engine sound? Is it the egr valve working? We're going back to the dealer this week to have another drive out with the after sales manager. the noise is easily replicated by holding the throttle at 2000rpms.

We were expecting the car to be quieter after the new engine from reading other posts, we didn't expect it to be louder! Any thoughts/help would be appreciated (please bear in mind I am of the fairer s*x!!!)

UPDATE: They had forgotten to replace some of the sound proofing from under the steering column area! Apparently it falls off when they drop the engine out and they hadn't put it back. It sounds like a dream now :-)

Edited by roosterbooster

Hi There! I live in the Netherlands and saw this tread after googlling avensis 2.2 d4d cat. from 11-2006.

Thanks fore sharing all the information about this car!

Really become paranoid now about this car. The one i wanted to buy run 137000km and is in exelent shape. But no warrenty anymore...

I ivestigated the other europe forums about this car. In the Netherlands also are a lot of complaints about the gasket problems. The strange thing is that countrys as Germany, Belgium etc do not have that much complaints in forums(while they drive a lot of Toyota, among with audi and bmw;-))

Also in the states there are few complaints(maby the car isn't sold there...)

Maby different batches of engines, drivingstyle etc?

I testdrove a 2.2 d4d 177 pk with its oginal engine(137000km) wich drove like a charm, also a 2.2 d4d 177 pk with a "new" engine wich did not pulled as hard as the first one(felt less good.)The last car had a new engine at 103000, and had in total 177000km on the clock

Difficult to decide what to do...

Sorry fore my bad writing, my englisch is a bit rusty. :D

Ive been to Amsterdam on me Holidays....

Niet zeker waarom de problemen niet zou komen opdagen in Duitsland of de andere marktplaatsen die u noemt ....

Paranoia is iets dat een probleem en de realiteit is veel auto's zullen nooit een probleem kan zijn ..

De manier waarop ik kijk naar het is als je op het punt om een auto te kopen met een van deze motoren en dat de auto in de buurt en buiten de garantieperiode dan denk lang en hard .....

Als je al een auto hebt dan wegen de verliezen die kunnen optreden als u het te verkopen .. Zoals hierboven kan niet gebeuren ..

Geen punt weglopen Drom een boeman die er niet is

Not sure why the issues would not show up in Germany or the other marketplaces you mention....

Paranoia is something that can be a problem and the reality is many cars will never have a problem..

The way I look at it is if you are about to buy a car with one of these engines and that car is near or out of warranty then think long and hard.....

If you already have a car then weigh up the losses that may occur if you sell it.. As above it may never happen..

No point running away drom a bogey man that isnt there

• Like 1

Thanks fore you're advice Charlie!

Amsterdam...is not what it use to be...but what is;-)

Google translate still needs a bit of work, hahaha! but thanks fore trying.

Yup, It looks a bit like gambeling but we don't know the odds with those engines.

I can buy two year of factory warrenty(1100 euro)...So maby thats in favour of the odds ;)

I will let you guys know which car its gonna be!

Cheers! :cheers:

Hi all I managed to find out that my engine was replaced in 2011 so don't really have a leg to stand on. it is a better car for having the valve cleaned and my advice from my dad was to " give it a blast up the motorway every now and then" love the car and i manage to annoy the local boy racers with my old mans people carrier lol

Does the Lexus suffer from the same problems? As they have a newer more economical 180 engine from 2009?

The Lexus sure does have the same problems - my IS220d had a new 3/4 engine a few months back! From 2010 they introduced the IS200d -2AD engine but 150 horse and lower tax!

Sorry and you are right from 2009 on the 2.2 177 is slightly more economical and cheaper tax - not sure how they went about it though!

This is the one I'm after but not sure if it's any better that the older unit?

2007 Auris 2.2 DCAT 180 - 70,000 miles.

Hi everyone,

I had my engine replaced under the goodwill scheme due to oil consumption 1,100 miles ago. All is well however when do you guys think i should put my kingo tuning box back on to the engine?

• 2 months later...

Hi, unfortunately dealer identified my Auris SR180 headgasket failure. I realise coolant was low, took it to nearest Mr T for a check and their service manager came back with a bad news, the head gasket are gone and it would cost around £2500 to repair. He did not mention anything about the extended warranty whatsoever. They advice not to drive the vehicle so I left it there from Wednesday, up to now, it's been 5 days. I tried call up Mr T warranty department but it seems they know nothing about this common HG issue and the 7 years extended warranty. Btw, I brought it less than 3 months ago and it has FSH with just under 70k miles, 4 years old(09 plate). Is this warranty still valid up to now? and if yes, is there anything for me to show to dealer and what is my next step?

Any help appreciate

Johnny

Yes the warranty will still apply to your car !

You must ask to speak to a senior person or manager and point out what they should already know which is of course the 7 year "GOOD WILL" warranty which covers you car !!

DO NOT under any circumstances allow the dealer to dismantle you engine ! This is VERY important.

Time and time again we see this happening where the dealer says they do not know about the warranty !!!

• Like 1

2007 Auris 2.2 DCAT 180 - 70,000 miles.

Hi everyone,

I had my engine replaced under the goodwill scheme due to oil consumption 1,100 miles ago. All is well however when do you guys think i should put my kingo tuning box back on to the engine?

I'm not a fan of tuning boxes in general, but since you have it you may as well stick it on!

Hi, unfortunately dealer identified my Auris SR180 headgasket failure. I realise coolant was low, took it to nearest Mr T for a check and their service manager came back with a bad news, the head gasket are gone and it would cost around £2500 to repair. He did not mention anything about the extended warranty whatsoever. They advice not to drive the vehicle so I left it there from Wednesday, up to now, it's been 5 days. I tried call up Mr T warranty department but it seems they know nothing about this common HG issue and the 7 years extended warranty. Btw, I brought it less than 3 months ago and it has FSH with just under 70k miles, 4 years old(09 plate). Is this warranty still valid up to now? and if yes, is there anything for me to show to dealer and what is my next step?

Any help appreciate

Johnny

Before every one tells you the car is defenately covered PM me your chassis number as a 2009 is quite late and I will need to check your chassis number is within the coverage.

PM'd, thanks. Also thanks to all for fast respond.

Right there is a common error/misunderstanding on this site in assuming that because you have a fault that there is automatically cover of up to 7 years/111846 miles, there is a bulletin that describes what cover is given and when but it is often misunderstood/misquoted. The bulletin is WB553 version 4 last updated 20/12/12, Within this bulletin it describes several faults which can be included within the above cover they are:

P0400 EGR fault

P2002 DPNR fault

P1386 5th injector fault

Oil consumption in excess of 0.5 lt/621 miles

Head gasket failure

Now each of these issues all have their own individual technical service bulletin ( TSB ) which describes the fault, what cars are effected, the production fix point & how to fix the individual issue, now WB553 says there is coverage on the effected issues subject to the dates contained within each of the individual TSB's

As an example an Auris is presented with P0400, the Auris was built on 1st Aug 2009 but Toyota fixed the known issue in June 2009 so in this instance the car maybe within the extended warranty period but it does not qualify for a warranty repair because it is outside of the covered range within the TSB.

We have this issue here, Johnny's Auris has a chassis ending in F005453 but Toyota implemented the Fix for faulty head gasket from chassis ending F004921 an earlier chassis, So head gasket failure due to coolant incompatibility as mentioned in EG-0036T-0909-EN is not covered by WB553.

There could be cover under the terms of the Excessive oil consumption issue TSB as the car is within the affected product range, here's the awkward bit you cannot confirm oil consumption because the head gasket has failed but Toyota will cover head gasket failure due to carbon stamping which is caused by burning oil. The only way to confirm this is to photograph the carboned piston crowns once the head is removed, if this can be proved then Toyota should subject to all the other terms and conditions supply and fit a re-manufactured engine under warranty.

You will have to speak to your dealership and ask them to advise if the piston crowns are carboned up causing carbon stamping, you will have to agree all costs involved in checking this as if there is not carbon then there is no cover and you have been very unlucky to have a head gasket failure and pay for the whole repair. If the case is the latter you can always ask for goodwill if you have a full Toyota service history, if you don't, expect goodwill to be refused.

If I can help further please ask

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links