DemBones

• Registered Member
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:Jon
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Auris hsd
  • Year: 2010

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I was led to believe that the EV mode worked up to 31mph, just like with the Prius, though my Auris disengages "due to excessive speed" just above 20mph. Is this a problem with specification details or a software problem with the electronics. Any one else had this problem?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts
  • First Name:Grumpy
  • Toyota Model: Prius Gen 3
  • Year: 2009

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

If it's anything like the gen3 Prius (which it's based on) then the EV mode is temperature and/or load dependent. If the car is cold (more importantly the HV battery) then EV mode will kick out at 20 mph. If the HV battery is warm(er) then it will run upto 31 mph. I think the temperature is based on both the internal battery and ambient temperature.

You will find EV will run upto 31 mph in summer or after a longer run in winter. But if the car/HV battery gets too hot then EV will disengage for that reason too. EV upto 31 mph is allowable in a very small window, though you don't really want to make too much use of it anyhow. It's more a gimmick to show off to your friends or for moving the car out of your garage and onto the drive without using any fuel. It won't allow you to pop to the shops a mile down the road though.

#3 ashpole

ashpole

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • Toyota Model: Auris Hybrid T-Spirit

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

I was led to believe that the EV mode worked up to 31mph, just like with the Prius, though my Auris disengages "due to excessive speed" just above 20mph. Is this a problem with specification details or a software problem with the electronics. Any one else had this problem?

It's not a problem, it's normal. As GC says it depends on many factors but from cold EV mode will disengage at around 19-20 MPH. Once the ICE is up to normal running temperature EV will extend to higher speeds.

#4 Terry953

Terry953

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • First Name:Terry
  • Toyota Model: Auris ICON HSD
  • Year: 2013

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

It's not a problem, it's normal. As GC says it depends on many factors but from cold EV mode will disengage at around 19-20 MPH. Once the ICE is up to normal running temperature EV will extend to higher speeds.

What WALLY led you to believe that EV mode worked up to 31mph on an Auris ??

Listen to Ashpole, we've been there and done it, your performance is normal,check out our FUELLY stats.

Just bear in mind that the latest Prius is produced with HSD Gen 3 technology, the Aruis was adapted to accomadate Gen 3, so it hasn't so far equalled it, but is very close.

Rumours of an Aruis HSD Mk2 abound for 2021 - that's really worth keeping a tack on.

#5 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Just bear in mind that the latest Prius is produced with HSD Gen 3 technology, the Aruis was adapted to accomadate Gen 3, so it hasn't so far equalled it, but is very close.

My understanding was that the hybrid system/powertrain of the Auris HSD is virtually (99.9%) identical to the gen3 Prius but has been modified to allow it to be squeezed into the existing non hybrid Auris chassis. The engine is the same, the specs are vitually identical - differences being different drag factors, different dash displays, possibly different suspension set up etc.

In fact the Lexus CT200 is the one which differs from the gen3 but in that it is probably 99.6% identical :) One of the main differences is a voltage boost in 'Power' mode to allow a higher increase in power.

#6 monya

monya

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Toyota Model: auris hybrid T Spirit

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I can't see any practical value in using EV as the drain on the battery will cause the engine to come on for longer next time around. Or am I missing something here.

#7 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

No you're not. In fact that is the main reason against using EV mode. The electricity used from the battery has to be put back and usually that comes from the engine running - using extra fuel.

The Prius is best left to its own devises and it will sort out the most economical mix of ev and petrol to get the best performance and economy. Start over-riding it using the EV mode and you will often end up using more fuel in the process. EV is best left for showing off to mates or in carparks and the odd time in town when you know the traffic light sequences or just before heading down a hill you're aware of etc.

#8 ashpole

ashpole

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • Toyota Model: Auris Hybrid T-Spirit

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

I can't see any practical value in using EV as the drain on the battery will cause the engine to come on for longer next time around. Or am I missing something here.

It's handy for getting the car out of the garage onto the drive or some reason why you want to keep noise to a minimum but most of the time I let the Auris work out what's best. Sometimes it won't fire up the ICE, for example when moving a half mile between M&S and Costco car parks in Milton Keynes it doesn't use the ICE - I could force it into EV mode but it decides on its own to use it.

#9 Bibsy

Bibsy

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • First Name:x
  • Toyota Model: Prius Gen2
  • Year: 2008

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'm interested in the figures mentioned in this thread for the speeds at which the EV cuts out. Are they really as low as that on the Auris and Gen 3?

I have a Gen2 and was on EV quite happily on part of my commute yesterday at an indicated 48 for a half mile or so, flat road, on cruise, and that seems to be about the cut off speed on mine. It's always done that, not just one day in one place.

Obviously you can get momentary EV at pretty much any speed, but this is persistent EV.

#10 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'm interested in the figures mentioned in this thread for the speeds at which the EV cuts out. Are they really as low as that on the Auris and Gen 3?

I have a Gen2 and was on EV quite happily on part of my commute yesterday at an indicated 48 for a half mile or so, flat road, on cruise, and that seems to be about the cut off speed on mine. It's always done that, not just one day in one place.

Obviously you can get momentary EV at pretty much any speed, but this is persistent EV.

Yeah you're right Bibsy. We're on about the EV mode (or milkfloat mode as I call it) where you can lock the car into EV and it will accelerate quicker in electric only than it normally would but the speed is locked as described above. In 'normal' mode with careful use of the accelerator you can coax the Prius upto higher speeds without using the engine. Also if cruising a flat road at 40 mph the car will automatically switch the engine off and run on electric as required. I've had it running at 60+ mph without the engine but with a very very lightfoot, it seems to be a sliding scale. Also, to confuse the issue further, when over 45 mph the Prius is always 'running' the engine even if the diagram is off BUT when the engine is running like this it is actually just spinning but using no fuel. The same applies if you go down a long hill, when you get to the bottom the HV battery is showing full and the engine will be revving at about 3k revs but is actually just burning off the excess power stored in the HV battery and is using no fuel.

The hybrid (hsd - Toyotas version) is quite interesting and very well thought out, just a little hard to explain all it's foibles. It is also totally seamless to drive though.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users