Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Crank An Avensis Diesel Engine Without Starting It

hubla

I'm trying to measure the power consumption of the starter motor on my Avensis 2.2 D-CAT. But it is difficult to get a good reading of the ampermeter before the engine starts. Any ideas on how to keep the engine from starting in a safe manner? I don't want to start pulling out fuses and electrical connections without knowing that it won't hurt the engine.

Cheers,

Håvard

I'm trying to measure the power consumption of the starter motor on my Avensis 2.2 D-CAT. But it is difficult to get a good reading of the ampermeter before the engine starts. Any ideas on how to keep the engine from starting in a safe manner? I don't want to start pulling out fuses and electrical connections without knowing that it won't hurt the engine.

Cheers,

Håvard

hello

for sure -- the method is very simple -- just disable SCV (remove 12V wire from it)--> this stops injection but at the same time the pump is full of diesel to have reliable internal parts lubrication. cheers/Igor

NB - do not forget to connect wire again after your trials

good luck

Cheers,

Håvard

hello

for sure -- the method is very simple -- just disable SCV (remove 12V wire from it)--> this stops injection but at the same time the pump is full of diesel to have reliable internal parts lubrication. cheers/Igor

NB - do not forget to connect wire again after your trials

good luck

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not entirely sure where the SCV is located on this car. I've looked around the general fuel-pump area, but couldn't find anything that stands out. Can you describe more closely where to find it on the 2.2 D-CAT engine?

its on the high pressure pump mounted to the head on the gearbox side

Thanks! I now managed to get a good reading on the starter motor. It's consuming 200-480 amps when warm and 400-600 Amps when cold (-10 C). Voltage drops from 12.6 to 10.4 when cranking. My Toyota mechanics says normal consumption is 60-90 Amps, so I guess I'm up for a new starter motor.

• 4 months later...

Your meter isn't working. You would need a bank of submarine batteries to get 200-600 Amps and still have over 10v.

If your car isn't starting, it's probably the SCR.

Why do you need a new starter motor?

If you can't get a reading because the car starts too quickly, doesn't that mean it starts fine?

• 1 month later...

Why do you need a new starter motor?

If you can't get a reading because the car starts too quickly, doesn't that mean it starts fine?

It definitely was the starter motor. The new motor cranks fast and easy, and the car is now very easy to start, even in cold northern-norway winter weather (-20C). The old starter required a top-charged Battery and wold crank very slowly. On a cold morning, it would be very difficult to tart and the Battery would be empty in 10-20 seconds of cranking. The symptoms and solution does make sense since the starter simply drains the Battery very quickly.

Your meter isn't working. You would need a bank of submarine batteries to get 200-600 Amps and still have over 10v.

If your car isn't starting, it's probably the SCR.

My knowledge of these things are limited, but my Battery, a Sønnak Powerline, is rated for 800A and 80Ah. I think the measurements are feasible.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links