Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basic Faq's By Diesel Drivers - Read This

cabcurtains

7 minutes ago, phil_cardiff said:

Re-joined this forum to ask a few questions about Avensis diesels as considering buying one on an 07 plate. Don't think I'll bother now...

If Toyota replace the engine then what are they replacing it with? The same engine that might fail again?

Toyota introduced production modifications to the AD series diesel engines to counter the oil consumption/head gasket issues. Engines that were affected by these issues, were covered by a 7 year/111,846 mile goodwill arrangement from first registrations. Replacement engines were initially dealer rebuilds, and after limited success, replacements were then factory builds which incorporated the production modifications. 

Not all AD series experienced the issues.

An 07 vehicle may or may not have had a replacement engine, which would have been either a dealer rebuild or a factory built engine. Avensis built up to February 2009 may have been affected, and will now be outside the 7 year goodwill arrangement.

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota introduced production modifications to the AD series diesel engines to counter the oil consumption/head gasket issues. Engines that were affected by these issues, were covered by a 7 year/111,846 mile goodwill arrangement from first registrations. Replacement engines were initially dealer rebuilds, and after limited success, replacements were then factory builds which incorporated the production modifications. 

An 07 vehicle may or may not have had a replacement engine, which would have been either a dealer rebuild or a factory built engine. Avensis built up to February 2009 may have been affected, and will now be outside the 7 year goodwill arrangement.

Thanks Mike. Unless I buy a 2010 car then I'd be taking a gamble. Or find one with a replacement engine. Gawd, this is pushing me towards a Kia Ceed!  Save me!

If only 'modern' cars were as reliable as my 98 Corolla - what a car!

Avensis built after February 2009 will have the production modified engines. Would have thought a Toyota dealer could confirm an individual car's build date. 

The first post of the following thread gives the build dates of affected cars -

Thanks again. Does this also effect the mk3 which I believe was introduced in 2009?

I'm not sure when in 2009 the mark 3 went on sale.

iirc they were actually in dealers in Dec 08. Production for launch stock started a few months before that.

• 7 months later...
On 11 de mayo de 2016 at 0:43 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I got offered a 2007 d4d 2.0 with the engine replaced under extended warranty in 2014. I understand that this new engine should have all the production modifications applied,  am i right?

thank you for your help

As far as I'm aware, yes.