Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Filter

rambler

Hi folks

Well....had my local independent garage sort out my issues yesterday, ( i.e ...engine not pulling when 1/4 warm & eml coming on)

He read the fault code ( turbo malfunction ),so he removed both the EGR & VSV valves cleaned & released them both.( I asume these are both linked to turbo issues).

He also renewed the fuel filter ( he reckoned that hadn't been done for years by main dealer ( i do trust him ) ).

Now the Rav goes well again,done 50 miles today with just one little ' kick ' from the engine ( been doing that for months now,kinda used to it ).

A question though......pictures of air filter he changed below,would you say this is the typical conditon of one that is 15'000 miles old ?,last changed at 90'000 ! according to my Toyota service sheet.

P1010702.jpg

P1010701.jpg

Could be depending what terrain you have been driving on. Off roading and it could look like that...

But then again main dealer could have just hoovered it and put it back in??

Its full of midges !!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Would you like to breath through that for 15,000 miles ??

As Jedi implies, Jamie, unless you were competing in the Paris to Dakkar Ralley, that filter has seen more than 15k in my humblest opinionistics, mate... :thumbsup:

Big Kev

Think I've said this one before but deff on topic, young blonde goes into Mr T, says my Ravs not very well, Techy takes it away and returns 5 mins later, everythings OK Luv, just krap in the airfilter, Ooh! says young blonde, How often should i do that???? :shutit: (no offence to young blondes intended) in fact i rather like them :drool: Stew

I wouldn't like to date a filter by looking how clean it is. I usually write the date and the mileage on a new filter when fitting.

i used to change an air filter by due kms (15k) and never open it before due date.

but this yr filter looks like it was used around 20k miles. cheers

Well....it seems like my local dealership have been taking the p**s out of me then.

I shall have to ask my garage for the fuel filter he removed as well,so i can inspect that.

So annoys me when you are paying for official toyota " technicians " to service your vehicle......properly :angry:

Its a shame you can't watch them work just to ensure they change the parts.

My bill from my local garage was £140 all inc.

Which i thought was very good.

Toyota charge £80 to read a code....my local £25

And so far the Rav is ok again

Looks like a 90 Year old coal miners hat !! !Removed! hell that has seen some work !! Its either been in very mucky conditions or its been for a very long time !!

Charlie.

No...... :D what I was trying to say is it depends where you have been?

I had the Rav on normal roads and the filter was clean after 6 months still looked white engine bay clean......Then the Rav 6 months in Dusty Hot conditions and my filter looked like that......The ammount of wild life that was in it was unbelivable..... But my engine bay had similar dust and insects.....just as a comparisson.

Does your engine bay look like your filter?

But it will be the main dealers fault of course :yes:

Can`t wait to see a photo of the fuel filter :D

looks like my pollen filter after a month...

Gus

Mine also looks like that in no time :thumbsup:

My last one managed seven months - previous one a year. I suspect that, as last summer was fairly dry [in the south], there was a lot more dust about :unsure:

I too write the date on when I put them in.

Some garages leave the old service parts in the car for you to see.

I sometimes ask to see the old parts if they are "high value" items.

Dont forget I am a Yorkshireman and expect value for money. Some people say we are Scotsmen without the accent :)

Phil

I thought the Diesel Airfilters were on a 40k change with Toyota?

Before you go accusing anyone think on that you only need to follow a vehicle up a dusty road once (like around road works etc) and you could easily have a filter like that. One summer can produce a lot of insects too. I seriously wouldn't conclude anything from the condition of the air filter. Take your cabin filter out after a year and see what that looks like and the engine will draw in many millions of times more volume than the heater does in the same time.

Before you go accusing anyone think on that you only need to follow a vehicle up a dusty road once (like around road works etc) and you could easily have a filter like that. One summer can produce a lot of insects too. I seriously wouldn't conclude anything from the condition of the air filter. Take your cabin filter out after a year and see what that looks like and the engine will draw in many millions of times more volume than the heater does in the same time.

A wee voice of reason there, Jamie....no use falling out with someone you trusted before without proof they have done you a bad turn. Just insist on old parts removed to a box in your boot forthwith....there are probably worse than that Dealer out there...ask Jedi....he's met them all !!!! :lol:

On a wee point of interest though, if Jamie had writtened mileage and date on that filter, he would have needed ultra violet ink / light to read it, que....? Ah stick by visualistics, folks....that filter's been in there since the first ever Easter...!!!

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Not on the if written on the rim.

I usually write the details for the owners benefit, not to catch out a cheat :thumbsup:

Don My Transit vans were mostly on site every day and I can honestly say I've never seen a filter out of any of the vans as bad as that ...

Mind You the Vans were kept fairly clean and tidy....

This is My last van and the one I used as a run around to measure jobs ect.. Nice clean filter as well !!

transit2010008.jpg

It might be true Charlie but I wouldn't like to take somebody to taske over it. When I used to work on trucks that went into quarries and pits we used to change the air filter every other month and sooner if they became completely clogged. Not suggesting Jamie has been in a quarry but you don't have to be in or drive through a dusty place for long before the air filter becomes very dirty.

You must have spent half your life cleaning motors, everything you own is immacualate!!!

It might be true Charlie but I wouldn't like to take somebody to taske over it. When I used to work on trucks that went into quarries and pits we used to change the air filter every other month and sooner if they became completely clogged. Not suggesting Jamie has been in a quarry but you don't have to be in or drive through a dusty place for long before the air filter becomes very dirty.

You must have spent half your life cleaning motors, everything you own is immacualate!!!

Well i havn't been off roading for a while now,but we have had very little rain in our area for months now,so i guess our area is very dusty dry....so that may explain a bit more of the filters condition.

Having said that.....how many more toyota owners are out there from my neck of the woods,and have had their vehicle serviced by the main dealer :blink:

And yes you are right Anchorman,Charlie's motors are immaculate :eek: i used to do the same years ago,until i owned my first black petrol Rav4 4.2.

I then discovered the fun of having a 4x4 :lol: i know its got no low box or diff lock,but it does what i ask it to do ( most of the time ;) )

Will ring my local garage tomorrow and ask him if he's still the old fuel filter he replaced ( can't wait to see the condition )...then pay the bill :D

Hi,

Diesel filter change is 6 years for toyota, the air filter seems about right to me, I seem to remember ,but stand to be corrected that a 1.6 engine at idle will draw in around 1200 cubic feet of air a Minuit, so think of the running time and air volume its had over 15,000 miles, apart from a few bugs it looks like just a dust layer I have seen these where one can hardly see the the separations. In my part of the world a car can be years before it has 40 k on the clock so as Toyota state filters should be changed as and when required, they only issue a guide, :D

Looking at the posts here reminded me that the filters on our trucks get into a bad state quickly - on and off building sites then in and out of our large warehouse where the red screed when dry turns to a dull red dust !!

As said, just make a policy of asking for the old parts to be left.

Never judge the condotion of an air filter by looking at it. Judge it either by time or mileage or environmental conditions. Even a clean looking filter can have reduced air flow - after all not all the particles it traps are visable to the naked eye.

Personally I would never let any dry air filter run more than 20,000 miles and considering todays fuel prices it ain't cost effective.

Can`t wait to see a photo of the fuel filter :D

Evening all.

Right then....the awaited photo of my fuel filter,according to my toyota service sheet,last changed at 80'000 ( the circle was ticked ),apologies for quality but i'm not used to my camera with all its settings.....and yes i have to say my engine bay is'nt the cleanest,but ( sorry folks,to me its just an engine bay )..its not that bad though

P1010715.jpg

What you reckon ?:huh: is the corrosion on the caseing normal ?