AygoIronman

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Gender*:Not Telling
  • Toyota Model: Blue

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hey, anyone have any similar problems. Had my car since 2009 and always started up okay but about 2 months ago my Aygo would start first time so you had to pull the key back and restart and then it be fine. You can hear the Tick noise, and then a whirring noise (I assume this is the starter motor).

Over the next couple of weeks it be 2 times I have to restart then would be okay, but then it was 4 times, but now she doesnt start up at ALL. Any ideas please? Diagnosing start up faults are notorious but where do I start, and also I ve checked this forum. This is one person who had a start up fault and siad he would go back to Toyota but the post didnt have an outcome.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 MD1

MD1

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: 2009 IQ3 & 2009 Aygo Black

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

my wife has an Aygo black and one day she had the same where it just wouldn't start, how ever many times the key was turned, like you a whirring noise??
thankfully the car was on the drive so we shut the door remotely locked it and then tried again and first time and no problem, there must be a hidden immobiliser???? Not sure whether this is of any help or not?
Cheers

#3 weevicky

weevicky

Super Vicky™

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 462 posts
  • First Name:Vicky
  • Gender*:Female
  • Toyota Model: 998cc Aygo
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Get your battery checked out; happened to me last year the battery just flat. Not a clue why never did figure it out.

#4 grahamthegasman

grahamthegasman

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Toyota Model: aygo blue .front fogs,side strips,rev counter,front rear mudflaps.Aygo club sticker.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Replied to you on another post,but my wifes aygo did same tookback under warranty and there was a mod for starter motor needed new wiring and bits.But after this no problems starting whatsoever.Give toyota a ring youve nothing to loose.

#5 AygoIronman

AygoIronman

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:45 AM

Thank you everyone for some input. MD1 I dont think your wife has the same fault as mine. The starting up has gotten worse. It used to be just one when you turned the key but then after a few weeks it be 2 and then 3 but after the 4th she just wont start at all.

Not sure Weevicky, if its the battery as the radio, and lights come on but will try and disconect the battery and check for charge.

Grahamthegasman? Im a gas man too. I work in the gas industry. lol Thought of the starter motor but can hear it turn over. I ll try the battery first, and then if not give Toyota a call.

Thank you all

#6 AygoIronman

AygoIronman

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well, I checked the charge in my Aygo`s battery, and the charger said it was at 100% charge, and gave it a little top up. I ve fitted the battery back in but it still doesnt start.

Any ideas what next?

#7 Unklian

Unklian

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Toyota Model: Aygo + MMT A/C Carbon Quartz. Rev Counter. Leather Wheel. Protection !

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well, I checked the charge in my Aygo`s battery, and the charger said it was at 100% charge, and gave it a little top up. I ve fitted the battery back in but it still doesnt start.

Any ideas what next?

I should imagine after the repeated attempts at starting but
failing to do so, your spark plugs will be wet.

Just a bit of old-fashioned stuff......

Remove the spark plugs, dry them out on top of a radiator in your house or
in a warm oven then fit them and you should start OK.

Do you do a lot of very short trips in the Aygo?

This isn't helpful for the battery and the plugs will foul up.

If you do, after you do get started, I'd go for a run down the motorway.
At least 10 miles at high rpm. pop it down into 4th and maintain 70mph a few times.

Will do it a world of good. Modern engines & oils are designed to cope with high rpm.

Ian.

#8 AygoIronman

AygoIronman

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Thank you "Unklian"

Ive never hear of wet spark plugs before. I have started her up that often. You can definitely hear the starter motor turning. There`s a click noise,and then a whirring noise and nothing.

I did think for a while it was the spark plugs, and you`re right. My Aygo does short journeys. She lives in the city and work is about 2.5 miles away so its like a 10 minute drive. I do take it out on motorways but that is rare.

I ve checked another site and I see there are onlly 3 spark plugs. Is there a thing as a "Spark plug gap" or do I just screw them in?

#9 grahamthegasman

grahamthegasman

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Toyota Model: aygo blue .front fogs,side strips,rev counter,front rear mudflaps.Aygo club sticker.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thank you "Unklian"

Ive never hear of wet spark plugs before. I have started her up that often. You can definitely hear the starter motor turning. There`s a click noise,and then a whirring noise and nothing.

I did think for a while it was the spark plugs, and you`re right. My Aygo does short journeys. She lives in the city and work is about 2.5 miles away so its like a 10 minute drive. I do take it out on motorways but that is rare.

I ve checked another site and I see there are onlly 3 spark plugs. Is there a thing as a "Spark plug gap" or do I just screw them in?

This is exactly what my wifes was doing,click whirring and nothing,starter motor mod done and never missed a beat since.

#10 AygoIronman

AygoIronman

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Grahamthegas man. Your post isnt quite clear. Did your wife`s car have to have a new starter motor? What exact mod was done, and what was the cost? :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users