Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Start Up Problem

AygoIronman

Hey, anyone have any similar problems. Had my car since 2009 and always started up okay but about 2 months ago my Aygo would start first time so you had to pull the key back and restart and then it be fine. You can hear the Tick noise, and then a whirring noise (I assume this is the starter motor).

Over the next couple of weeks it be 2 times I have to restart then would be okay, but then it was 4 times, but now she doesnt start up at ALL. Any ideas please? Diagnosing start up faults are notorious but where do I start, and also I ve checked this forum. This is one person who had a start up fault and siad he would go back to Toyota but the post didnt have an outcome.

my wife has an Aygo black and one day she had the same where it just wouldn't start, how ever many times the key was turned, like you a whirring noise??

thankfully the car was on the drive so we shut the door remotely locked it and then tried again and first time and no problem, there must be a hidden immobiliser???? Not sure whether this is of any help or not?

Cheers

Replied to you on another post,but my wifes aygo did same tookback under warranty and there was a mod for starter motor needed new wiring and bits.But after this no problems starting whatsoever.Give toyota a ring youve nothing to loose.

Thank you everyone for some input. MD1 I dont think your wife has the same fault as mine. The starting up has gotten worse. It used to be just one when you turned the key but then after a few weeks it be 2 and then 3 but after the 4th she just wont start at all.

Not sure Weevicky, if its the Battery as the radio, and lights come on but will try and disconect the Battery and check for charge.

Grahamthegasman? Im a gas man too. I work in the gas industry. lol Thought of the starter motor but can hear it turn over. I ll try the Battery first, and then if not give Toyota a call.

Thank you all

Well, I checked the charge in my Aygo`s Battery, and the charger said it was at 100% charge, and gave it a little top up. I ve fitted the Battery back in but it still doesnt start.

Any ideas what next?

Well, I checked the charge in my Aygo`s battery, and the charger said it was at 100% charge, and gave it a little top up. I ve fitted the battery back in but it still doesnt start.

Any ideas what next?

I should imagine after the repeated attempts at starting but

failing to do so, your spark plugs will be wet.

Just a bit of old-fashioned stuff......

Remove the spark plugs, dry them out on top of a radiator in your house or

in a warm oven then fit them and you should start OK.

Do you do a lot of very short trips in the Aygo?

This isn't helpful for the Battery and the plugs will foul up.

If you do, after you do get started, I'd go for a run down the motorway.

At least 10 miles at high rpm. pop it down into 4th and maintain 70mph a few times.

Will do it a world of good. Modern engines & oils are designed to cope with high rpm.

Ian.

Thank you "Unklian"

Ive never hear of wet spark plugs before. I have started her up that often. You can definitely hear the starter motor turning. There`s a click noise,and then a whirring noise and nothing.

I did think for a while it was the spark plugs, and you`re right. My Aygo does short journeys. She lives in the city and work is about 2.5 miles away so its like a 10 minute drive. I do take it out on motorways but that is rare.

I ve checked another site and I see there are onlly 3 spark plugs. Is there a thing as a "Spark plug gap" or do I just screw them in?

Thank you "Unklian"

Ive never hear of wet spark plugs before. I have started her up that often. You can definitely hear the starter motor turning. There`s a click noise,and then a whirring noise and nothing.

I did think for a while it was the spark plugs, and you`re right. My Aygo does short journeys. She lives in the city and work is about 2.5 miles away so its like a 10 minute drive. I do take it out on motorways but that is rare.

I ve checked another site and I see there are onlly 3 spark plugs. Is there a thing as a "Spark plug gap" or do I just screw them in?

This is exactly what my wifes was doing,click whirring and nothing,starter motor mod done and never missed a beat since.

Thanks Grahamthegas man. Your post isnt quite clear. Did your wife`s car have to have a new starter motor? What exact mod was done, and what was the cost? :D

Thanks Grahamthegas man. Your post isnt quite clear. Did your wife`s car have to have a new starter motor? What exact mod was done, and what was the cost? :D

Two things......

First, spark plugs. You need 3. Search on eBay for "Aygo Spark Plug".

NGK are a good brand. Aygo type spark plugs have what is called a "crush washer" to seal

them when fitting to the engine. The USUAL METHOD of tightening this type of plug is......

If the plugs are brand new, they are pre-gapped. You spin them in gently until they are seated,

Use the wrench like a screwdriver to nip them, then, tighten 180 degrees. (Half a turn).

When you are re-using these plugs, you seat them then usually tighten them about 45 degrees. (eighth of a turn).

Second......The starter motor......Is it just whirring round and not turning the motor over?

If so, as you don't seem too mechanically minded (No insult intended) I'd have an auto-electrician have a look.

Sounds like an internal part is sticking.

If it is actually turning the motor over as normal, try drying / replacing the spark plugs.

Ian.

EDIT: Wet spark plugs are really a thing of the past.

When cars had carbs and a choke lever, inexperienced drivers could easily over-fuel or flood the engine.

Sometimes, you could remedy the situation by taking the choke off and start with the throttle

full open. This would (if you were lucky) dry the plugs enough to get started.

If your plugs are sooty through lack of hot use and are now wet,

the fuel injection system cannot know and cannot compensate for this situation.

It is a bad situation for a modern angine as if you are continually cranking your engine over and

it is not starting, unburnt petrol may be reaching the catalyst in the exhaust.

This is BAD. Next MOT time, failure & a new expensive catalyst.

Hi not sure exactly,but i know there was some wiring to starter motor that needed updating,dont think starter motor needed changing,if you ring toyota they should be able to tell you which mod it was.It was done under warranty so no charge.

Good morning folks! Well, I had a man come down to check my car. Apparently its the starter motor causing the problem. You can hear it tick, and then whir. The engine does`nt crank.

I phoned Toyota and a young assistant said: "Bring the car in"! Er no, you forgot, I cant start the !Removed! thing!! Well you lost some business there Mr Toyota.

I m going to buy a new starter motor from eBay but dies anyone know what a 1.4kw starter motor is opposed to 1.1kw?

I ve done some research and the 1.4kw maybe is for a diesel, and the 1.1kw is for petrol?

Ps. Thank you for your input Grahamthegasman but cant imagine driven off without finding out what had been done on the car in case the next time it happened again :dontgetit:

Good morning folks! Well, I had a man come down to check my car. Apparently its the starter motor causing the problem. You can hear it tick, and then whir. The engine does`nt crank.

I phoned Toyota and a young assistant said: "Bring the car in"! Er no, you forgot, I cant start the !Removed! thing!! Well you lost some business there Mr Toyota.

I m going to buy a new starter motor from eBay but dies anyone know what a 1.4kw starter motor is opposed to 1.1kw?

I ve done some research and the 1.4kw maybe is for a diesel, and the 1.1kw is for petrol?

Ps. Thank you for your input Grahamthegasman but cant imagine driven off without finding out what had been done on the car in case the next time it happened again :dontgetit: Id be asking all sorts of questions: What went wrong? How did you fix it? What parts did you chnage and check the receipt/statement the garage gives you.

There has been a recent recall on the starter motor relay and my wife's Aygo was at the workshop for the said relay change. According to the mechanic, the starter motor relay would not shut off between the start attempts. It is a free waranty thing. Takes about one hour.

I m going to buy a new starter motor from ebay but dies anyone know what a 1.4kw starter motor is opposed to 1.1kw?

Ps. Thank you for your input Grahamthegasman but cant imagine driven off without finding out what had been done on the car in case the next time it happened again :dontgetit: Id be asking all sorts of questions: What went wrong? How did you fix it? What parts did you chnage and check the receipt/statement the garage gives you.

h

Wifes car she picked it up,so i cant comment but changing starter wont solve the issue,i did remember someone saying faulty wiring or relay needs sorting out.Since being done though been no problem at all.And yes if it was my car would have report on what was done.

Looks like i have the same problem. When turning the key to the final position i just get a whiring noise. Normally starts on the 2nd attempt but tonight it took 4 attempts. Will ring my dealer in the morning

• 3 months later...

Now I have a similar problem with my wife's Aygo. The starter relay was changed under warranty a few months ago. The car ia a MMT and is 4years old. No earlier problem besides the water pump change. A new symtom has appeared! Now and then the car will not start on turning the key. I can hear the fuel pump buzz, I can hear the engine turning but no fire! If I pull out the key and try again, it will start the second or third time. My hunch is that it is an ignition problem. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Hi there, the 1.1kw and 1.4kw refers to the starter motor power output, the higher the kw the more cranking power it has.

Having only just read this thread the whiring noise is the starter spinning without engaging the the flywheel and the clicking is the starter solenoid activating and these are common starter motor issues with any make of car.

Buying from eBay is not always beneficial as it might be cheaper but what warranty is provided and the hassle of returning it if it's wrong or whatever could be time consuming so why not price one up from your local motor factors.

Hi

Sorry I ve not been around. I ve been busy. I managed to get my car fixed. A kind mechanic came over and turned the ignition.

You could hear the whirring noise but the engine wasnt cranking over so it was or should I say in my case the starter motor.

I ordered a brand new starter motoer 1.1kw from eBay for £70.

I ve not had any issues since.

Hi

Sorry I ve not been around. I ve been busy. I managed to get my car fixed. A kind mechanic came over and turned the ignition.

You could hear the whirring noise but the engine wasnt cranking over so it was or should I say in my case the starter motor.

I ordered a brand new starter motoer 1.1kw from eBay for £70.

I ve not had any issues since.

• 7 years later...

Got a misfire I have changed all plugs, and changed coil pack and no difference. Also I have changed injections and still no change. And it breaks down with full acceleration when slow it runs on all three. there is no engine code, it only has 62k.