Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Calling All Owners Of The 'new' Yaris

Geoff Peace

I have the new yaris 1.33 TR model. There appears to be a problem with the headlights. Bought the car in September, no problem until the colder weather arrived, then the headlights started to mist up badly with the condensation turning white. This happens when the headlights have been on in the evening, the air in the lights warms and expands. Car is parked, lights extinguished, air cools and contracts drawing colder air in through vents in the top corners of the lights and causing excessive condensation in the top and bottom of the lamp. This has usually disappeared by the following morning so perhaps many owners will not be aware of the problem, the car needs to be parked and inspected a couple of hours later. I have reported this to the dealer who has changed the lights, no difference, in my opinion it is a design fault. Dealer says nobody else, nationwide, has reported this. I think all owners of the new Yaris should be aware of this problem and inspect their lights for this fault. If you would be kind enough to report your findings on this forum I would be most grateful, then I may make progress in resolving the matter.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Surely if no one else is reporting it as a problem, then that means that you have got a definite issue and it's not a "feature of this car sir" They should rectify/change under warranty as it's abnormal

The dealer saying nobody else reported a problem does not mean that that there is not a problem. Dealer has replaced the headlights, this has made no difference. It is a design fault in my opinion and unless owners take due note it will cause problems in the future most probably when the warranty has expired.

Regards Geoff Peace.

"The dealer saying nobody else reported a problem"

That's the stock pre-programmed answer whatever car make. Can usually be taked with a large salt mine.

If you would be kind enough to report your findings on this forum I would be most grateful, then I may make progress in resolving the matter. Regards Geoff Peace.

I cannot really say i have noticed this but will keep a look out.

At the end of the day you are not interested in what the dealers says about not a reported problem, if you have a new car and it has a defect it needs to be sorted out under warranty. if the headlamps mist up they would technically fail an mot test,that makes the vehicle not road worth.

If the headlamps don't do it all the time, take photograph evidence and present it to the dealer. On a side note, there is a good chance they will not havethe headlamp in stock, could be factory order....good luck.

At the end of the day you are not interested in what the dealers says about not a reported problem, if you have a new car and it has a defect it needs to be sorted out under warranty. if the headlamps mist up they would technically fail an mot test,that makes the vehicle not road worth.

If the headlamps don't do it all the time, take photograph evidence and present it to the dealer. On a side note, there is a good chance they will not havethe headlamp in stock, could be factory order....good luck.

Thankyou for your reply Bob. I have taken phographs gave them to the dealer, who said they would have to take their own! After some persuasion as the lghts were OK when I went to the dealer, they changed both headlights. The new ones seem to be no better! It is not just ordinary mist, it turns white and opaque. The dealer would not be able to replicate the condition as the right weather conditions are needed plus headlights on for about half an hour, wait a couple of hours, there it is. Usually, but not always gone the following morning. I think it is a design fault in the light which does not allow it to ventilate properly. The matter is obviously ongoing.

Regards Geoff Peace.

I think this issue calls for a telephone conversation with Toyota UK customer relations. Make sure you get a reference number of them. They can in turn raise the matter with Toyota Technical in Europe, but beware they are bustingly slow.

DS

P.S My Yaris back light lenses sometimes fog up a little with condense.

I think this issue calls for a telephone conversation with Toyota UK customer relations. Make sure you get a reference number of them. They can in turn raise the matter with Toyota Technical in Europe, but beware they are bustingly slow.

DS

Reported back to the dealer that the new headlights made no difference. The After Sales manager took photographs and is now taking this up with Toyota. I will update on this as I cannot believe that only my car is affected and a new set of lights has made no difference. It is now up to Toyota to come up with a solution.

Regards Geoff Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to hearing their response Geoff. I can't say I've noticed on mine but I'll keep a look out. I do remember you mentioned this once before when I asked for some advice as I was looking to change my headlights to brighter ones and I remember you bringing this up so it's not the first time.

Hope all is resolved soon.

Eren

DS

Reported back to the dealer that the new headlights made no difference. The After Sales manager took photographs and is now taking this up with Toyota. I will update on this as I cannot believe that only my car is affected and a new set of lights has made no difference. It is now up to Toyota to come up with a solution.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thankyou for your reply Erren. I can now replicate the problem, Headlights on for half an hour, around 7pm. when the temperature is falling. Check an hour or so later, shine a torch on the headlight and there is alarge patch of white fog. trawling the internet I find someone who is having the same problem with a new Mercedes. It has been suggested I contact Toyota customer relations, most emphatically no, my contract of sale is with the dealer, not Toyota. Same problem has been noted in Canada, not on a Toyota but it has been solved, I am just keeping this information under my hat for now!

Regards Geoff Peace

• 1 month later...

DS

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thankyou for your reply Erren. I can now replicate the problem, Headlights on for half an hour, around 7pm. when the temperature is falling. Check an hour or so later, shine a torch on the headlight and there is alarge patch of white fog. trawling the internet I find someone who is having the same problem with a new Mercedes. It has been suggested I contact Toyota customer relations, most emphatically no, my contract of sale is with the dealer, not Toyota. Same problem has been noted in Canada, not on a Toyota but it has been solved, I am just keeping this information under my hat for now!

Regards Geoff Peace

Update on the headlight problem on the new yaris. There have been other complaints of the headlights misting and going milky, the dealer phoned me two days ago and said they had received two modified headlamps for my car. These were fitted yesterday so we will see if there is any difference!

Regards Geoff Peace.

• 1 month later...

DS

Regards Geoff Peace.

Regards Geoff Peace

Update on the headlight problem on the new yaris. There have been other complaints of the headlights misting and going milky, the dealer phoned me two days ago and said they had received two modified headlamps for my car. These were fitted yesterday so we will see if there is any difference!

Regards Geoff Peace.

Update on this problem. Five weeks on. The new headlights are fine, no misting, discolouration or milky deposit. When I asked what the difference was I was told 'It was an issue with glue!' I would be interesed to know if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Regards Geoff Peace.

DS

Regards Geoff Peace.

Regards Geoff Peace

Regards Geoff Peace.

Update on this problem. Five weeks on. The new headlights are fine, no misting, discolouration or milky deposit. When I asked what the difference was I was told 'It was an issue with glue!' I would be interesed to know if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links