Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.2 2.0 Petrol Mpg?

korben556

Does not look like DMF covered, dealer is checking as unsure.....

Covered parts

• Lighting equipment:
    Front and rear lamps, number plate illumination lamps, headlamps, headlamp aim, stop lamps, rear reflectors, rear fog lamps, hazard warning lamps and controls, direction indicator controls, fog lamp on and off indicator light.
  • Brakes:
    Controls including ABS system if the warning light does not work in the correct sequence, the condition of the service brake and parking performance, corrosion of brake pipe (Frictional cover is not covered when the condition is related to wear and tear)
  • Steering and suspension:
    Steering control, steering mechanism and system power steering, transmission shafts, wheel bearings, front and rear suspension and shock absorbers.
  • General:
    Windscreen wipers and washers, vehicle structure, fuel injection and ECU replacement as a result of failure to meet MOT exhaust emission standards.
  • Seats and seat belts:
    All seat belt mountings, their condition and operation, driver and passenger’s seat mountings and backrest security in an upright position.

Although nice to have, without DMF cover, I am too wary to buy a diesel at this mileage...still lusting after the petrol!

Hi Anthony,

I'm open to correction but if this is a TGB used car warranty, it should be, to all intents & purposes, inclusive apart from consumables. That being the case, a clutch would be considered a consumable but surely not a flywheel (unless it were damaged by a worn clutch plate). Bearing in mind that the DMF issue is well known & resulted in revised manufacturing techniques/tolerances to deal with it, I fail to see how a TGB dealer could in all honesty exclude it.

The TGB warranty is, in my experience, very comprehensive and covers things like broken coil springs, something that is often excluded from after-market warranties.

If you want to know for sure ring TGB and ask to speak to their warranty department...

They do have one, honest!

Does not look like DMF covered, dealer is checking as unsure.....

Covered parts

• Lighting equipment:
    Front and rear lamps, number plate illumination lamps, headlamps, headlamp aim, stop lamps, rear reflectors, rear fog lamps, hazard warning lamps and controls, direction indicator controls, fog lamp on and off indicator light.
  • Brakes:
    Controls including ABS system if the warning light does not work in the correct sequence, the condition of the service brake and parking performance, corrosion of brake pipe (Frictional cover is not covered when the condition is related to wear and tear)
  • Steering and suspension:
    Steering control, steering mechanism and system power steering, transmission shafts, wheel bearings, front and rear suspension and shock absorbers.
  • General:
    Windscreen wipers and washers, vehicle structure, fuel injection and ECU replacement as a result of failure to meet MOT exhaust emission standards.
  • Seats and seat belts:
    All seat belt mountings, their condition and operation, driver and passenger’s seat mountings and backrest security in an upright position.

Although nice to have, without DMF cover, I am too wary to buy a diesel at this mileage...still lusting after the petrol!

Hi Anthony,

I'm open to correction but if this is a TGB used car warranty, it should be, to all intents & purposes, inclusive apart from consumables. That being the case, a clutch would be considered a consumable but surely not a flywheel (unless it were damaged by a worn clutch plate). Bearing in mind that the DMF issue is well known & resulted in revised manufacturing techniques/tolerances to deal with it, I fail to see how a TGB dealer could in all honesty exclude it.

The TGB warranty is, in my experience, very comprehensive and covers things like broken coil springs, something that is often excluded from after-market warranties.

Not heard back from the dealer yet, hopefully they will confirm the dmf is included.

Usually for a Toyota Approved Used Car Warranty, they list what IS NOT covered, rather then what IS (at least that is the way it used to be)

I recall the key things I noticed about exclusions was the Battery - covered for first 3 years, not in Extended Warranty; Alloy Wheels - covered for pitting for first 3 years, Excluded in Extended Warranty.

I know from peoples experience on the forum that there seemed to be a tendency to classify some things that used to be covered as wear and tear shortly after the Worldwide Throttle Pedal debacle (maybe they decided they could not afford to be as generous as before?), for example, I had all my Discs replaced under extended warranty due to Shudder, but someone else a couple of months later found they would not replace theirs as the warping was Wear & Tear (of course the circumstances may well have been different, just passing on a theory!).

I think the DMF had some kind of FOC Extended warranty of its own which was time and mileage limited - Car you're looking at is ok on miles, but Age-wise may be excluded on THAT Specific FOC type warranty, so I think you do need that confirmed as you are doing so.

FWIW, I don't think I would buy the 4.2 diesel without knowing the DMF has been replaced within a few thousand miles, or (maybe AND given your mileage expected) it was covered for sure under extended Warranty.

The 2.0 Petrol is a lovely engine and while economy is fairly poor, I did find I could get decent economy from it when I took it (very) easy. one of the times on my regular Hants to Devon commutes, I avoided going above 60 and accelerated slowly, etc etc and the economy approached the 40mpg mark (just could not do it again as too boring :) ) so IF you like a more sedate driving (and if you are driving in Company Time, why not ;) , then could be ok

Hoovie you put a smile on my face - thanks! :D

It looks like the DMF is not covered and it has not been replaced. So I am going against all sensible advice and buying the petrol!

With only 47,000 miles, to all intents and purposes it's a new car, kind of...

So I am out of pocket a little, surely life is about having some fun and not worrying about DMF's, particulate filters etc, etc....

I shall drive at 69.9 mph on the motorway, but not hog the middle lane. I hope to be posting regular extra urban mpg's of 38-39!

Usually for a Toyota Approved Used Car Warranty, they list what IS NOT covered, rather then what IS (at least that is the way it used to be)

I recall the key things I noticed about exclusions was the Battery - covered for first 3 years, not in Extended Warranty; Alloy Wheels - covered for pitting for first 3 years, Excluded in Extended Warranty.

I know from peoples experience on the forum that there seemed to be a tendency to classify some things that used to be covered as wear and tear shortly after the Worldwide Throttle Pedal debacle (maybe they decided they could not afford to be as generous as before?), for example, I had all my Discs replaced under extended warranty due to Shudder, but someone else a couple of months later found they would not replace theirs as the warping was Wear & Tear (of course the circumstances may well have been different, just passing on a theory!).

I think the DMF had some kind of FOC Extended warranty of its own which was time and mileage limited - Car you're looking at is ok on miles, but Age-wise may be excluded on THAT Specific FOC type warranty, so I think you do need that confirmed as you are doing so.

FWIW, I don't think I would buy the 4.2 diesel without knowing the DMF has been replaced within a few thousand miles, or (maybe AND given your mileage expected) it was covered for sure under extended Warranty.

The 2.0 Petrol is a lovely engine and while economy is fairly poor, I did find I could get decent economy from it when I took it (very) easy. one of the times on my regular Hants to Devon commutes, I avoided going above 60 and accelerated slowly, etc etc and the economy approached the 40mpg mark (just could not do it again as too boring :) ) so IF you like a more sedate driving (and if you are driving in Company Time, why not ;) , then could be ok

After having loads of hassles with my Zafira diesel I opted for a petrol Rav4.2 to get me through the rough Swedish Winter. Bought it four months ago and so far been very impressed with it's reliability.....only issue has been a suspect Battery, however, you could get that with any car! Yes, the fuel ecomomy after my diesel was an early heart attack for me!...Officially the Zafira returns 0.65l Lt per 10kms compared to the Rav's 0.82Lt per 10km's....but I think that official figure is too low for the Rav!.....Taking it easy with the right foot am getting 28 - 32 mpg on the car's info!....We live in a village 10km's away to the nearest town and we are currently using it for short journeys and it's great for that. Anything further than 25 - 30kms I have the luxury of using the Zafira for longer journeys. I must admit I under estimated how poor the mpg is on the Rav. I was planning to use it for long journeys down to Oslo and Copenhagen....and I can only claim 19 Eurocents per km.......so it's back to the drawing board for me for a long distance car. I was shoppig around for a diesel Rav....but I have heard some good and bad reviews......so if I can afford it, I will keep the petrol 4.2 as a second car for the short commutes and winter driving. I reckon the low maintenance costs of owning the Rav will out weigh the garage costs of owning a diesel! I have had tons of bad luck with my Zafira and the recent DMF / Clutch change brought last year's repair costs to over 5 grand!.....that's a lot of petrol for my Rav! hahaha

Good Luck and keep us in the loop.

Cheers

Allan

It looks like the DMF is not covered and it has not been replaced. So I am going against all sensible advice and buying the petrol!

With only 47,000 miles, to all intents and purposes it's a new car, kind of...

If I was buying the diesel that is the only thing I would want covered as figures of £1700 have been mentioned! With the petrol it's O2 sensors that fail. I have also had my water pump go but apart from that (and the pathetically small Battery - replace it with a 072 as fitted to the diesel) mine hasn't given any other problems (famous last words? since new)

Well, the potential repair costs of all diesels to me far outweigh any saving in fuel! I want a reliable car that will start and go without being in and out of the garage.

Seems to me that being out of pocket £1,000 annually is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Well, the potential repair costs of all diesels to me far outweigh any saving in fuel! I want a reliable car that will start and go without being in and out of the garage.

Seems to me that being out of pocket £6-700 annually is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Well, the potential repair costs of all diesels to me far outweigh any savings in fuel! I want a reliable car that will start and go without being in and out of the garage.

Seems to me that being out of pocket £5-600 annually is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Well Anthony, Of the two options you are looking at, I think the Petrol is the right one if DMF not covered - plus you will not need to replace the timing belt on the VVT-i which would be needed within 2 years on your mileage on the oil-burner

And remember, Life is too short to be too sensible :) (I just swapped my 50mpg Qashqai for a 30-ish MPG RAV and not regretting it :thumbsup: )

Post the pics of your new ride once you sorted :)

Hi Hoovie,

I will post up the pictures as soon as I have it.

Thanks to all for your input, it's most appreciated! :fox:

In my 02 auto I get 25 mpg in town and 31 on the motorway. I'm not unhappy with this since the car came at the right price .. and they are such FUN to drive!

PS - remember that the Inland Revenue (or whatever they are now called) allow you to claim the difference between what your company reimburse you and their own guideline amount (which is quite a bit more then 18p a mile) if you use your own vehicle for business use, and at 25k miles a year, that amount will almost certainly run into well over £1,000 of additional tax relief.

Surely this is worth investigating?

PS - remember that the Inland Revenue (or whatever they are now called) allow you to claim the difference between what your company reimburse you and their own guideline amount (which is quite a bit more then 18p a mile) if you use your own vehicle for business use, and at 25k miles a year, that amount will almost certainly run into well over £1,000 of additional tax relief.

Just noticed I did not word that very well .... What I should have said is you can put the difference in the amount in your tax calculations, so if the IR rate is 25ppm and you can claim bakc 15ppm, then the 'shortfall' is 10ppm. you do 20,000 miles and you have been 'under-reimbursed £0.10p x 20,000 = £2,000. That £2.000 is then an amount that you have expended for purpose of your work and you should not get taxed on, so can claim relief of 20% (is that the basic rate now?) on £2,000, so you are due back £400. the first 4,000 miles is at a much higher rate (45ppm so makes a big difference there)

If anyone does business miles in their OWN car, they should look info this if they don;t already!

link for more info is http://www.hmrc.gov....ates/travel.htm

EDIT: the Petrol RAV 2.0 VVTi 'official' rate is 18ppm so 'korben's company is paying spot on the official rate (even though we know it is low generally)

Just noticed I did not word that very well .... What I should have said is you can put the difference in the amount in your tax calculations, so if the IR rate is 25ppm and you can claim bakc 15ppm, then the 'shortfall' is 10ppm. you do 20,000 miles and you have been 'under-reimbursed £0.10p x 20,000 = £2,000. That £2.000 is then an amount that you have expended for purpose of your work and you should not get taxed on, so can claim relief of 20% (is that the basic rate now?) on £2,000, so you are due back £400. the first 4,000 miles is at a much higher rate (45ppm so makes a big difference there)

If anyone does business miles in their OWN car, they should look info this if they don;t already!

link for more info is http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

The Petrol RAV 2.0 VVTi 'official' rate as a company car is 18ppm so 'korben's company is paying spot on the official rate (even though we know it is low generally) if they regard his car as a company car (and this covers the situation where someone may get a Company Car allowance in lieu of a Actual car and then uses their own)

My Company does this and If I had a company car I would claim a Co. Car Rate (lower then Korbens and the IR guidelines :( ).

As I DON'T have a Co. Car, but I DO have entitlement to one (but take cash instead), I am still stuck with Co. Car Rates from my Company when travelling on business, but can use the Private Car rates from the IR for my Tax calculations for those business miles to compensate for the shortfall.

Yes, this fault lies with the forum hamster that powers the genny. When he gets knackered the pages load a bit more slowly than normal. If however someone gives him a sugar boost ( mars bars are very good for this) he goes into overdrive and double and triple posts are commonplace.

This was explained to me by a pc tech and I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Cheers.

Thanks for all of the advice - I have looked in to the IR situation and i can claim the difference which is great.

Unfortunately the Rav diesel I went to see has some problems and so am looking at a couple of others. I am hoping to have something sorted by this weekend!

Cheers

Just a quick MPG update for you. My petrol 2.0 VVti returned 27.6 MPG during the last fuel up period. This is an extra 2.5 MPG from my previous city driving only period and is almost certainly due to the motorway journeys I undertook (10% motorway, 90% city). On this basis I recon that I could easily crack 32 MPG if I were doing lots of motorway driving, maybe even more. But not much more.