Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 D4D Corolla Verso Gear Box Rattle Or Chain Cam Rattle?

vsmuthu

Hi , Just bought a 2006 D4D Corolla Verso 2.2l with 55000 miles on the clock, what I noticed is on 1st or 2nd gear when I accelerate and leave without moving up the gear then I hear a rattle noise (b-r-o-o-m) type of noise, I just want to know whether this hints at a Faulty Gear Box, Dual-Mass Flywheel or anything serious like a Chain Cam rattle, or is this perfectly normal which I shouldn't be worrying about, your reply will very helpful please.

On the other hand when I move up the gear from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 after accelerating I dont't hear that noise.

Took the vehicle to the car dealer whom I bought from and I think the problem has been sorted! Looks like the noise was coming from some loose hose!

Took the vehicle to the car dealer whom I bought from and I think the problem has been sorted! Looks like the noise was coming from some loose hose!

Good, pleased it wasn`t anything serious for change :D

I've got a very similar prob, any chance you could find out what or where this hose is located? I've taken it back to dealer, they said it's perfectly normal for the d4d to give off a bit diesel knock/injector knock from cold.

I've got a very similar prob, any chance you could find out what or where this hose is located? I've taken it back to dealer, they said it's perfectly normal for the d4d to give off a bit diesel knock/injector knock from cold.

They refitted the air filte hose, however I dont think the problem has gone away it is more evident there is a rattle when moving the vehicle on first gear, a clutch slip? packed up DMF? oh no couldn't stop thinking what it might be, any ideas? anway taking back to the dealer tomorrow!

These Toyota's appear to be awful for reliability! should it come at the time when I decide to move to a Japanese car from German (my previous car was Merc) which had a blown Turbo at 60,000 miles, these modern disel cars are totally unreliable, better to buy a small petrol possibly a Honda Jazz!

They refitted the air filte hose, however I dont think the problem has gone away it is more evident there is a rattle when moving the vehicle on first gear, a clutch slip? packed up DMF? oh no couldn't stop thinking what it might be, any ideas? anway taking back to the dealer tomorrow! These Toyota's appear to be awful for reliability! should it come at the time when I decide to move to a Japanese car from German (my previous car was Merc) which had a blown Turbo at 60,000 miles, these modern disel cars are totally unreliable, better to buy a small petrol possibly a Honda Jazz!

A bit strong to say `Toyota appear to have awful reliabilty` because you`ve a bit of a rattle (sounds like it could just be injector rattle to me) on a 55k 6yr old car. :huh:

They refitted the air filte hose, however I dont think the problem has gone away it is more evident there is a rattle when moving the vehicle on first gear, a clutch slip? packed up DMF? oh no couldn't stop thinking what it might be, any ideas? anway taking back to the dealer tomorrow! These Toyota's appear to be awful for reliability! should it come at the time when I decide to move to a Japanese car from German (my previous car was Merc) which had a blown Turbo at 60,000 miles, these modern disel cars are totally unreliable, better to buy a small petrol possibly a Honda Jazz!

A bit strong to say `Toyota appear to have awful reliabilty` because you`ve a bit of a rattle (sounds like it could just be injector rattle to me) on a 55k 6yr old car. :huh:

Would an Injector rattle send slight vibration throught the cabin? when the car is travelling 70 mph on Motorway? also at times I hear a Turbo whoosh/whistle on Incline, is this normal? The car has FTSH btw, how can I tell it is deftly not DMF or Clutch? Is there a quick test I can do myself?

Would an Injector rattle send slight vibration throught the cabin? when the car is travelling 70 mph on Motorway? also at times I hear a Turbo whoosh/whistle on Incline, is this normal? The car has FTSH btw, how can I tell it is deftly not DMF or Clutch? Is there a quick test I can do myself?

Yes you could probably hear the turbo on an incline, I have a feeling you worrying needlessly about the DMF and clutch, both leave you in no doubtwhen they need attention and would be easily identified by the dealer..

Yes you could probably hear the turbo on an incline, I have a feeling you worrying needlessly about the DMF and clutch, both leave you in no doubt when they need attention and would be easily identified by the dealer..

After leaving my car with dealer for 24hrs approx, I inclined to think that dervdave is right about the injector knock, as opposed to it being issue with DMF. Mr T was adamant issue was nothing more than injector knock, in regards to my verso. Still I can understand ur anxiety, I was fairly worried prior to taking it to dealer. Still think car is a bit noisy from cold for 4-5 mins, i'm guessing I'm just gonna have to live with it. Try using a better brand of diesel, Shell or BP premium diesel, that's what I've started using, I'm sure it's reduced the knocking sound, it's worth a try before heading up to see Mr T.

Toyota dealer seems to think the clutch is behaving as normal, so I could not find where that mysterious rattle is coming from!

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Clutch says it is Gearbox Bearings and DMF with a repair cost of £2000, with Mr T for checking lets see what they come back with...

my trust on Toyota brand hangs by a thread!

• 1 month later...

Mr Clutch says it is Gearbox Bearings and DMF with a repair cost of £2000, with Mr T for checking lets see what they come back with...

my trust on Toyota brand hangs by a thread!

Toyota Technician says that it is quite normal for the 6 speed manual Gerbox to have a bit of chatter.

• 2 years later...

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links