Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Raise The Bar Re Oil Consumption

CharlieFarlie

So you are saying Toyota only specify semi synth in these engines? any warnings about using fully synth??

So what do the Toyota gods say about super market fuels?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• jedi134

• anchorman

• dervdave

When I had my 1st dealer engine replaced it was filled with a semi-synth oil and still only lasted less than 8000miles! The 2nd (Dealer built again) engine had a full synth oil placed in it and it still burnt oil!... Although I have to say that the oil consumption has now started to get better! So there maybe a case that these engines take a while for them to bed in!... I have just changed the oil (Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 C2 spec) and filter and I'll see what the oil level looks like in a 1000miles... But I will continue to check it on a daily basis!

I wish I could offer Charlie anymore help on this saga with these 2AD engines! But I'm at a loss at the moment tbh... I don't subscribe to the semi-synth oil! But thats just me! I'd prefer to use a synth as I've done with all my other marques of cars without any problems. Time will tell...

Maybe you have to give these engines some stick for the rings to bed in and not molly cuddle them?

But if the same thing happens at 40-50k whats caused it?

Still not convinced

Toyota don't have an oil of their own for one specific reason, it is not required! If it was required they would have one and that is not the case at this moment in time. With all the hoo harr about the 2AD engine, I'm sure the top engineers would specify a new oil if needed, it is clearly not needed, the spec is 5W30 Premium Fuel Efficient (PFE) TGMO 5W 30 API CF; ACEA A5/B5 C2 semi synthetic I am an old cynic, to me, the fully synthetics might be better in certain circumstances for certain cars BUT in the back of my mind I am always thinking about the marketing. We as consumers are always pushed to the higher spec product, its better for our health, lifestyle, bla bla bla, it's also better for the bottom line profit of the company promoting it too. If people want to spend more than is required, then by all means do it, it's your money. I am not convinced one little bit by the marketing, the manufacturer does NOT require a fully synthetic oil, they require the spec above and that is good enough for me until such time as they change their minds. I shall keep advising my customers of the correct grade required by Toyota and not by the marketing department of huge oil companies Kingo :thumbsup:

John. My reason for using the Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic oil was based on a simple set of facts..

Firstly..

I had it in the garage. In fact I still have 20 litres of the !Removed! stuff. It was on offer at Asda and I had three Fords on the drive. All of which it is an absolute requirement to fill with 5w30 fully synthetic oil.(None of the Fords by the way burnt the oil)

Secondly.

I came onto the Forum and asked if this particular Brand,Type,And viscosity of engine oil was suitable for the Toyota 2AD engine and was told YES it was..

Thirdly.

I asked the Service department at Dunfirmline if again the Brand,Type,And viscosity was correct and They absolutely said Yes....

I did not follow marketing hype and the oil was bought in quantity as I expected to use it and it was £10 for each 4 litre container..

As for believing all the Producers say about the quality's of their products well not in My case. But I will all ways choose to use the best I can get Me grubby paws on even if it exceeds the requirements (Which My chosen oil does) rather than something cheaper which does not..

Hello Jedi134, you may have hit the nail on the head here and this is my opinion on the subject as an engine builder over the years.

When an engine is rebuilt the piston rings need to bed in to the cylinder bores so putting top quality fully or part synthetic oil into the engine is not a good thing as the lubrication properties are too great. I recommend using a cheaper mineral at first to bed the rings in but real life and the real world most engine builders won't have the time or inclination to do it but it may be and answer to some of the points raised about oil consumpion issues. After a period of running in the engine should be flushed before going onto synthetic for the rest of the engines life and there will be a benefit from using a good branded synthetic oil of the grade recommended by Toyota.

Well that's my 2 penneth, back to the Avensis dept ....... bye.

Regards .... Pete.

I`ve heard race engines are bedded in this way, 500 miles of molly cudlling, then some fully open throttle runs maybe for another 500 miles

Then drop the oil.....

are diesels race engines?

So you are saying Toyota only specify semi synth in these engines? any warnings about using fully synth??

So what do the Toyota gods say about super market fuels?

Jedi, the spec IS what it is, there is nothing to say you cannot use fully synthetic, but it's not the spec

They have nothing to say officially about supermarket fuels

Kingo :thumbsup:

A very diplomatic answer!!! :)

Reminds me when VW had PD oil problems 2005>

Then without warning every dealership was pushing this new PD oil.

Aye - you CAN use fully synthetic but it may consume some.

It doesn't necessarily signify that something is broken but if as John says, some dealers are using semi-synthetic and others are using fully (they definitely sold Guy semi-synthetic for his T180) then it could account for the differences in consumption.

Charlie.

This guy is giving you the run around. Just put some semi-synthetic in and see what happens. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Most dealerships sell semi because its cheap............thats what they use for services also?

They will all most probably use it? as cost effective

My sisters Volvo manual says in audious conditions/constant motorway runs to use fully synth..........but it burns this oil? Its so much better on the semi she says as regards consumption, but the manual says this is not really for audious conditions.

I honestly think Toyota has missed something with the oil .......a modern Euro-4 engine with no manufactuer specific specs.

Does any other manufacturer not have specific spec oils these days?

Charlie: I agree with anchs, you have nothing to lose, put some semi in........Anchs is worth 10 Toyota service mangers- super techys- power rangers guys........

"Some say he was born with an EGR in his hand and if you cut his pink wire he will still operate"

Car is booked in on the 6th Feb for another round of consumption tests ..

As it is it will certainly burn way more than the 1 litre per 1000 miles.

If I change to Semi and it slows it down but does not stop the burning then it may be under the 1 litre per 1000 miles.

I have asked The Dealer if I should change the oil for Semi and they say No.. Blimey it gives them a way out and they still say No it should not be burning any oil and changing wont make ant difference. I do actually believe You though that it will likely slow the consumption down a bit. But it may leave Me betwixt a Rock and a Hard place ???

I feel you Charlie........... what do you do..............??????????? one says this the other says that.

From previous dealer experiences I would go with Anchs sugestion.

Sometimes its best to stay out of the dealerships........I know people with brand new cars with 3 years warranty, and they dont got to the dearerships, only for warranty work if needed.

I feel you Charlie........... what do you do..............??????????? one says this the other says that.

From previous dealer experiences I would go with Anchs sugestion.

Sometimes its best to stay out of the dealerships........I know people with brand new cars with 3 years warranty, and they dont got to the dearerships, only for warranty work if needed.

But I'm only going to the Dealership for warranty ?

As ive said . I have registered the problem with the Dealers and Toyota GB. I have a case number. Now they are expecting Me to present the car on the 6th. In fact the car is booked in as it is booked at the same Dealer who changed the engine 370 miles from here...

So do I just do as They have asked Me to do or start meddling and risk buggering up the whole process..

If I'm honest. ... If the car was not using so much I think a last minute change and risking going against what they have asked Me to do might be worth considering.. But it is using a lot of oil ............

As it is I think the only viable option is to carry on as asked and advised by both the Dealer and TGB.......

No problem mate................do as you see fit.................and good luck :thumbsup:

Well what I see fit is five litres of unleaded and a box of Swan Vestas... Praps not eh ??