Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Feint Engine Whine?.....4Wd Or My Paranoia

Molnboman

Hej Ravers

Notice a very, very feint whine from the front end which increases and decreases with speed. At speed when I put the clutch in it stops. The car is running sweet with no issues, and it doesn't sound like a bearing. Not having owned a 4wd or owning the Rav that long am not sure wether it is normal or not. Can anyone confirm if this is a charachteristic of the Rav or should I start to get worried!

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

A

Apologies for the duplication of the postings....Hopefully the moderators can cancel some of them. Sorry again.

Cheers

A

Apologies for the duplication of the postings..

Cheers I thought I was hearing a faint echo :lol:

He's got a stutter.

No........He's got a feint whine.......or is that faint wine??

He's got a stutter.

Sounds like a wined up to me,Red.!! ;)

And a faint red, is'nt it a rose,my old flower?

Not helping at all,am I?

Del

He's got a stutter.

Sounds like a wined up to me,Red.!! ;)

And a faint red, is'nt it a rose,my old flower?

Not helping at all,am I?

Del

Yes, or should that be No.......No help whatsoever..........I wonder sometimes how you ever managed to get that star??

Hej Ravers

Notice a very, very feint whine from the front end which increases and decreases with speed. At speed when I put the clutch in it stops. The car is running sweet with no issues, and it doesn't sound like a bearing. Not having owned a 4wd or owning the Rav that long am not sure wether it is normal or not. Can anyone confirm if this is a charachteristic of the Rav or should I start to get worried!

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

A

If it goes away when you depress the clutch, it could perhaps be the release bearing; a less likely source is the spigot bearing. If it is the release bearing it could be on the way out, in which case it will get worse over time, or it may continue like this indefinitely depending upon the cause.

I'm not familiar with the manual RAV's as ours are both autos so I don't know whether they have a cable or hydraulic clutch. However, if it is a cable clutch and the release bearing is the source of the noise, then it could be that the cable needs adjusting if for example the automatic adjuster has packed up or jumped a cog in its ratchet mechanism.

Quote- Notice a very, very feint whine from the front end which increases and decreases with speed

I want to know what my wife is doing in your car?

Hej Ravers Notice a very, very feint whine from the front end which increases and decreases with speed. At speed when I put the clutch in it stops. The car is running sweet with no issues, and it doesn't sound like a bearing. Not having owned a 4wd or owning the Rav that long am not sure wether it is normal or not. Can anyone confirm if this is a charachteristic of the Rav or should I start to get worried! Have a great weekend. Cheers A

I wouldn`t say it was normal unless its getting on in the miles theres some general wear.

Does the front axle have oil level to check ?

Hej Ravers Notice a very, very feint whine from the front end which increases and decreases with speed. At speed when I put the clutch in it stops. The car is running sweet with no issues, and it doesn't sound like a bearing. Not having owned a 4wd or owning the Rav that long am not sure wether it is normal or not. Can anyone confirm if this is a charachteristic of the Rav or should I start to get worried! Have a great weekend. Cheers A
I wouldn`t say it was normal unless its getting on in the miles theres some general wear. Does the front axle have oil level to check ?

Everybody is a comedian today eh? Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't know where to start in terms of the oil level if there is one. It wasn't that loud.....just that I didn't pick it up before and it was at speed 90 -110 km when I noticed it....I don't think I can hear at low speed. Just was wondering if it is the noise of the 4x4 transmission....or something else.

Cheers

A

Wonder if the whine could be caused by the multi V belt as you have said it alters with speed.

Are we talking about engine speed or road speed?

You also posted that "at speed when I put the clutch in it stops"

I assume that you also let up on the throttle at the same time so the revs would drop down to tickover.

Surely the noise would still be there if it was a fault in the drivechain as that would still be running at the same speed when the clutch is disengaged

There is a whine that can be caused by incorrect meshing of the crown wheel and pinion which is effected by being under load and off load conditions but I seriously believe that is not the problem in your case

Just a first thought.

Del

My power steering pump bearing made a whining noise until I sprayed grease on it.

It's been quite since.

If you heard it at 90mph could just be turbo vino?

My power steering pump bearing made a whining noise until I sprayed grease on it.

It's been quite since.

Turbo?.....Is that why I am using so much petrol? hahaha

Hi Allan,

This correspondence seems to be knee-deep in jokes - not helpful.

Seriously, though, if you've recently acquired the RAV, make sure you check the gearbox (transaxle) oil level, and, if draining, refill with 75W-80, not 75W-90.

Also check the transfer box oil level (SAE 90).

Clutches rarely produce a whine - not likely to be that.

Is the whine in all gears, or perhaps just in 5th? Let me know.

Chris

It's been quite since.

Turbo?.....Is that why I am using so much petrol? hahaha

A har your a petrol? Don't think these have a turbo do they?

:-(

Hi Allan,

This correspondence seems to be knee-deep in jokes - not helpful.

Seriously, though, if you've recently acquired the RAV, make sure you check the gearbox (transaxle) oil level, and, if draining, refill with 75W-80, not 75W-90.

Also check the transfer box oil level (SAE 90).

Clutches rarely produce a whine - not likely to be that.

Is the whine in all gears, or perhaps just in 5th? Let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris I know.....specially when it's the Forum's glitches and not mine!...Am a numpty but could do without the slagging! hahaha Thanks for the info. I have checked my well documented service history and a Full service was done middle of 2010 and I can see Castrol HYPOY LS 90 was used.....am guessing this is transmission fluid? As brake fluid and engine oil is mentioned elswhere on the invoice. Am planning on a oil an filter change this week.....I wonder if I should get them to do the trannie oil as well. I agree.....after owning that Zafira I am an expert in Clutch issues! hahaha and think it's summit else. However, as mentioned, in earlier posts it's rrunning very well and doesn't appear to be getting worse,

Cheers

A

Wonder if the whine could be caused by the multi V belt as you have said it alters with speed.

Are we talking about engine speed or road speed?

You also posted that "at speed when I put the clutch in it stops"

I assume that you also let up on the throttle at the same time so the revs would drop down to tickover.

Surely the noise would still be there if it was a fault in the drivechain as that would still be running at the same speed when the clutch is disengaged

There is a whine that can be caused by incorrect meshing of the crown wheel and pinion which is effected by being under load and off load conditions but I seriously believe that is not the problem in your case

Just a first thought.

Del

Del....it was at road speed not engine rev speed. Yeagh I let off the throttle when I depressed the clutch and it did go away.....but the sound is very very slight and could be just a characteristic of the 4WD and as it's all a bit new to me...

Cheers

A

Hi Allan,

If the whine is at road speed and not engine speed, and it disappears when you depress the clutch, then it's transmission related, and not engine (the belt, for example).

The Castrol Hypoy 90 would (I hope!) have been for the transfer box (or also for the rear differential), and is correct for these two items. Definitely do have the gearbox (transaxle) checked for level and contents soon - SAE 75W-80 for this.

The gearbox and 4WD system on the RAV should be totally quiet, and usually is, unless something's wrong.

Again, I need to ask, is the whine only on 5th gear? Or in all gears?

Chris

Hi Allan,

If the whine is at road speed and not engine speed, and it disappears when you depress the clutch, then it's transmission related, and not engine (the belt, for example).

The Castrol Hypoy 90 would (I hope!) have been for the transfer box (or also for the rear differential), and is correct for these two items. Definitely do have the gearbox (transaxle) checked for level and contents soon - SAE 75W-80 for this.

The gearbox and 4WD system on the RAV should be totally quiet, and usually is, unless something's wrong.

Again, I need to ask, is the whine only on 5th gear? Or in all gears?

Chris

It was noticeable only at speed Chris and I was in 5th at the time.....I need to check it out again tomorrow and I will gerabox oil level checked out. Keep you posted. Thanks A

I think there was some 5th gear poping out or something with your year of rav, could be related?

If not make sure its got a turbo ;-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links