Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pro's & Cons Of A Diesel

bluebones

hi, i currently own a 02 plate petrol 2.0vvti, and as you all know there not so great on the juice, me and the missus love the rav4 so was looking into selling it and going for a diesel.

So was just wondering what the pro's and cons of getting a diesel would be, and how much better are they on fuel?

I would be looking into keeping the same shape model (2000-06) and im guessing they have the same diesel engine on the before/after facelift.

thanks for your input.

george

Have you read the pinned DMF thread George?

bugger!! never saw that, thanks for pointing that out to me :blow:

It shouldn't necessarily put you off George but it's deffinitely something you should be aware of. If/when you look at any make sure you listen out for any signs and/or check to see if the DMF has been replaced.

Not sure about economy of the 4.2 - others will give you the benefit of their direct experiences :thumbsup:

I personally am happy with approx 35mpg,but as Davrav has pointed out,there are other issues you need to be aware of.

DMF....flywheel,as he mentioned

EGR valves,SCV valves,VSV valves..all can stick,or go wrong....various threads covering these problems here and there.

Costng ££££'s

I think toyota are a quality brand,and i prefer the torque of diesels..but i would'nt have another D4D .

Just costs far too much on problems,that you just shouldn't have with a toyota.

Sorry other members on here,but thats my feelings now.

Hi George....in financial terms, a great deal of what you're asking hinges on the annual mileage you do. If mileage low, petrol is way to go, but even at that, you need to weigh up the extra maintenance items a diesel incurs during a year of higher mileage (egr problems / fuel filter seems to get dirtier / oil changes should maybe be more frequent / oil usage and replacement / generally less easy diy maintenance than petrol IMHO....)

The more serious things like DMF as mentioned by Davrav are paramount in your considerations.....depending on purchase price it could cost one third of that again to rectify if not already done....wrists itchy yet...? Pass George the scalpel.....

Bloody great cars though....

Big Kev :dontgetit:

Interesting post and I too asked the very similar question only the other week. I have had diesels for over 12 years and the last one ( 2006 model, Zafira 1/9cdti 150bhp ) was and still is a money pit!....The DMF , EGR valve issues .....can give you sleepless nights and empty your wallet! IMHO unless you are doing serious miles, and very little short journey's ( eg to the shops and back ) then perhaps you should consider a diesel. I would try to ensure some kind of cover from the dealer on the DMF/EGR /Turbo failing although I would doubt you would get it! If you are doing short journeys or less than 10,000 miles a year you may wish to reconsider an oil burner! I am quite sure the Toyota engines are better than the 1.9cdti ( Fiat ) engines that are in all the last and latest Saabs and Vauxhall's however, I find it very interesting that even on this forum, diesel owners are experiencing the same issues ( and even worse sometimes ) that Vauxhall diesel owners are having......and it is a wallet emptying experience if you start to have issues. That is one of the reasons I bought my petrol Rav.2......because of all the hassles I had with the diesel and I wanted 4 wheel drive for the bad winters we get here.

Just for the record, since I bought mine 4 months ago.....the only thing I have had to replace was the Battery. The Zafira has just eaten it's second alternator and it's going to cost me at least 450 quid to buy a replacement and get it fitted up here!.....That could have bought me a lot of petrol! Despite having a full service history and looking after it with no expense spared I will have spent nearly 5 and half grand on repairs in the last 12 months :( The only diesel enginel that was pretty much fault free for me was the 2lt Ford duratorq diesel ( which might have even been French? )........which in 4 years was fault free engine wise!

Good Luck

A

thanks everyone for your replys, looks as if ill stick with the petrol for now, i dont drive it much as its really the missus car, just havent had it long and never realised that they were so bad on fuel, i get more mpg out of my transit van and this can be loaded with alot of weight at times, i did give it a service full service and seams to get a few more mpg now.

Real shame as this is the only part of the car im disappointed with, but on another note, do the face lift models have the same petrol engine, if not are these any better on petrol?

thanks george

thanks everyone for your replys, looks as if ill stick with the petrol for now, i dont drive it much as its really the missus car, just havent had it long and never realised that they were so bad on fuel, i get more mpg out of my transit van and this can be loaded with alot of weight at times, i did give it a service full service and seams to get a few more mpg now.

Real shame as this is the only part of the car im disappointed with, but on another note, do the face lift models have the same petrol engine, if not are these any better on petrol?

thanks george

I don't think there is much difference in mpg on later petrol models....I think they are improved but no where near diesel performance. I am in total agrement with you and share your frustration.....but I have learned a valuable lesson and once bitten etc etc.

All the Best

Allan

As someone once wrote, "I'd never own a modern diesel out of warranty" and they seem to be right. No matter which manufacturer you chose, the problems related to the new technologies that diesels use in the quest for max MPG with minimum emissions seem to be the same and very expensive to repair.

The simplicity of a petrol engine has its advantages when you are footing the repair and purchase bills.

Hi George....in financial terms, a great deal of what you're asking hinges on the annual mileage you do. If mileage low, petrol is way to go, but even at that, you need to weigh up the extra maintenance items a diesel incurs during a year of higher mileage (egr problems / fuel filter seems to get dirtier / oil changes should maybe be more frequent / oil usage and replacement / generally less easy diy maintenance than petrol IMHO....)

The more serious things like DMF as mentioned by Davrav are paramount in your considerations.....depending on purchase price it could cost one third of that again to rectify if not already done....wrists itchy yet...? Pass George the scalpel.....

Bloody great cars though....

Big Kev :dontgetit:

the key here is BKs mention of hinges. Oil burning mobile stoves are hindered by the extra weight of the emmission funnel not forgetting the 5 doors that these often carry for some ridiculous reason.

Bluebones - are you seriously tryin gto tell me that running yer oil-smelling Ford Chancit is cheaper than a RAV??? I don't htink so! We are blessed with 4 of the blessed things and so gobstruck am I with their reliability and robustness that I'm arranging to sell 3 of them.

Hi George.

We ran 2 diesel 2.0 ravs for about 5 years and we still run one. Economy is out of this world for a 4 X 4 especially the 3 door for some reason. I had the DMF changed for a solid version at about 65K on the 5 door, this cost me about £600 as I recall. Mine never suffered from any valve issues and apart from oil changes every year that was the only expense.

I also like the bonnet bulge on the diesel and they can be chipped as well. ( I might know where a decent tuning box can be found if you decide to buy a diesel).

The 4.2 Diesel engines are Rock solid mate........belive me I`ve been waiting 2 years and 20k miles for something to fail just so I can have a fiddle with it..............Im still waiting.....................

The 4.2 Diesel engines are Rock solid mate........belive me I`ve been waiting 2 years and 20k miles for something to fail just so I can have a fiddle with it..............Im still waiting.....................

Nice to hear, just wish we heard more from those who are happy with their Toyotas.

A newcomer to Toyota make will be wondering what the hell they`ve bought when they read through the forum (ALL car forums are the same, most a lot worse )

I know % wise there will be more satisfied owners than disgruntled but most don`t normally post till summats wrong.

No comfort to those with a `bad un` of course. :mellow: